Registry and Gift Forum

Is One Year Too Early?

My FH and I will be getting married in October 2015. We were thinking of creating our registry this October so it's out in time for Black Friday since a lot of the items we will be putting on there are usually on super sale. Is a year in advance too early? Do you think people would shop for a wedding 11 months? He and I would but I wanted to see how other people feel about it.

Re: Is One Year Too Early?

• JMalettasJMalettas member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
     We had people start asking us where we were registered about a year before the wedding, and we just decided we would register early. We had 2 registries, and we had no issues having them open for a year or so. We actually had some family buy Christmas gifts off of our registry, which I found kind of odd. Not in a bad way, we obviously received things we wanted, but just that they picked things from the registry for that. 

If guests are already asking, & you don't mind starting one early, then go for it. I know our guests bought things early for sure. So I guess it just depends. Likely it would just be close family that know for sure they're invited, otherwise, most people will wait for an invite. 

*J
  • Yes, items will be discontinued or go out of stock. People won't be looking to buy you gifts until your shower. If/When a shower is planned for you, go ahead and register then.
  • Our wedding is in two months and our regisrty is just now seeing activity. The first items were purchased last week (friend called with questions so the cat is out of the bag lol). I don't think a year is too early, but be prepared for items to be discontinued or out of stock. In the last 3 months my Kohl's registry has done this multiple times.
  • You can register that early, just keep an eye on the list as time goes by in case some of the items are discontinued or considered seasonal, then you can go & add more stuff. Also check the return policies for the stores you are registering at. If someone buys you someone in November and you don't get it until your bridal shower next summer, if it's broken or you get duplicate, will they still take the item back & what if it's discontinued, do you get a store credit at least?
  • If you are registering for non-seasonal items then I think it's not a bad idea. For instance I bought my friend her china on black friday. Personally I would register at Macy's or similar for china, kitchen electrics, pots & pans, and other items that have been around for years and will continue to be. 

I would not register at Target, Crate & Barrel, Kohl's or other places that rotate stock monthly.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I am getting married next May, and set up a registry this week. I probably would've waited a few months, but FILs are throwing an engagement party for us in a couple of weeks, and FMIL insists that her friends will want to get us gifts. Seems weird to me, but I don't want to have an argument over it so whatever!

FI and I will be adding some fairly generic stuff onto our registry now (not sure about dishes and stuff yet), and will keep an eye on it and update as needed as we get closer to the wedding and any shower that might be thrown.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Personally, I'm not going to buy a wedding gift that far out.  I've been burned by weddings not happening before.  I usually shop the week of.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I can't imagine buying someone a wedding gift 9 months before the wedding, even on black Friday.  At that point, most people don't even know the date or whether they're invited.  

You can register when you want, but people aren't going to shop it until the shower invitations go out.  You'll end up having to make changes when the stores change their inventory in the spring anyway.
  • unless I was your mom I probably would not look at your registry until it was time for your shower; and you will most likely have some things get discontinued within the year.  I would wait until after the holidays at least.

Anniversary
  • FI's mom wanted to know where we were registered about five minutes after FI called and told her we were engaged. This isn't even an exaggeration! We hadn't even talked about date or location or anything and she was wanting to know where we were registered, LOL. My FMIL is a wonderful woman, I just found it funny. We got engaged Sep of 2013 and are getting married Oct of 2014 I've been registered since about Dec of 2013 because of the Macy's star rewards. I love to shop at macy's and everything I put on my Macy's card (and pay off) from the time I start the registry until our wedding day we get 10% back on in the form of a gift card. I wanted to start that as soon as possible! We only have about 8 things on it. We don't actually need much and aren't expecting gifts as our destination wedding is mostly immediate family and I'm not having any showers or AHRs. I've told anyone who asks we don't expect any gifts.
  • I don't think a year is too soon. My FI and I registered two years before our Oct. 2nd 2015 date because we had a long engagement and our parents threw us an engagement party. I know some families or circles don't do any gifts for engagement parties, but ours does. Initially, we weren't going to register so early, but everyone was asking so we did it. But I think it's good because although people mostly get you gifts for your shower, family may want to get you things off your registry for holidays gifts. My FMIL got me a bunch of baking stuff off our registry for Christmas, I loved and it was great because around the holidays is when I do all my baking, so it was a great gift idea. I've heard people saying don't register so soon because things will go out of production or be unavailable, but that hasn't happened to us (we're registered at Bed Bath & Beyond). But if it did, it's so easy to delete the item from you registry and add the newer model or a different item to your registry. So I'd so go ahead and register if thats what you and FI planned to do! 
  • As a guest I'd never shop a registry that early, but your parents might use it as a wish-list for christmas gifts. I think you'd be OK at Macy's, Williams-Sonoma, or BBB, but I'd stay away from places that rotate their stock like Target, Kohl's, etc. I'd stay away from Target anyways, no thank you note manager and they deleted my registry 3 months to the day after the wedding, so I can't even check what color towels to match if I want to finish the registry.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards