Snarky Brides

Deleted

13»

Re: Deleted

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    I had some real problems adjusting to new accents.  When I moved back to Iowa with a left-over Memphis accent, I accidentally insulted a young teacher!  She spoke sharply to me to wake me up from a daydream, and I responded "Yes, ma'am! "  She thought I was sassing her!  So did the rest of the class.

@emmaaa, the southern accent varies considerably.  In Memphis, oil = owul.  Ham has two syllables.  The words error and arrow sound alike.  And, of course, baw-be-kyew.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Have you guys taken the dialect test?  It's really cool.

I'm Jersey City, Newark, and Yonkers (NY).  Very fitting, although I've never been to Yonkers.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Dh and his folks say "seen" instead of "saw". It seems to be something from smils hometown in northeast georgia. Im fine with it in the regular family stuff, but per his request I jump on him about it- he doesn't want to say it in front of professionals.
    one-day
    Smil keeps pluralizing boy as boy's in her posts on fb. Drives me nuts but I keep it to myself.

Funniest accent story I ever heard- my mothers quilt group had a lady born in one of Boston's Brahmin families and she lived there for the better part of 70years. One day this lady was calling raffle ticket numbers and no one could understand her pronunciation of "four." When asked to spell it, she said F O W A. Fowah!" Whole place cracked up
  • Another bit of humor- dad is from outside Boston, but has cultivated an irish accent via his immigrant grandparents and relatives in Ireland. I picked it up too.

When I was meeting dh's family for the first time, he begged me to prank them with the irish accent. Evil Chipmunk came out to play, and for the first hour I kept it going. It finally ended when they directly asked where I was from. I switched back to normal and told them I'd been born in Miami and raised in the Tampa area

Bil sprayed his drink all over his then gf. Twas epic, especially as we later learned the perfect prissy gf was in fact fooling around
  • Another bit of humor- dad is from outside Boston, but has cultivated an irish accent via his immigrant grandparents and relatives in Ireland. I picked it up too. When I was meeting dh's family for the first time, he begged me to prank them with the irish accent. Evil Chipmunk came out to play, and for the first hour I kept it going. It finally ended when they directly asked where I was from. I switched back to normal and told them I'd been born in Miami and raised in the Tampa area Bil sprayed his drink all over his then gf. Twas epic, especially as we later learned the perfect prissy gf was in fact fooling around
    Lmao that's amazing!
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Have you guys taken the dialect test?  It's really cool.

I'm Jersey City, Newark, and Yonkers (NY).  Very fitting, although I've never been to Yonkers.
    Thanks for posting this!  It was fun.  It says I'm from Omaha.  That is very close to my birthplace.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    Have you guys taken the dialect test?  It's really cool.

Thanks for posting this!  It was fun.  It says I'm from Omaha.  That is very close to my birthplace.
    That was fun! I was San Francisco, San Jose, and Salt Lake City. SFO and SLC make sense, because I have one parent from each. 
    San Jose? I'll fly in there if the SFO flights are full, but know nothing about it. Except the Winchester "mystery house" is there, which is kind of cool to see. But it's still Bay Area, which I guess makes sense.
  • CMGragain said:

That was fun! I was San Francisco, San Jose, and Salt Lake City. SFO and SLC make sense, because I have one parent from each. 
    San Jose? I'll fly in there if the SFO flights are full, but know nothing about it. Except the Winchester "mystery house" is there, which is kind of cool to see. But it's still Bay Area, which I guess makes sense.
    I took it too and I got Washington State, where I'm orginally from. Pretty cool/creepy that test is accurate.
  • CMGragain said:

I took it too and I got Washington State, where I'm orginally from. Pretty cool/creepy that test is accurate.
    That quiz is scary accurate. It says I'm from Greensboro and Raleigh, NC. I happen to live an equal distance between the two.

• Although my "closest cities" were all in Oklahoma/Arkansas, the deepest red on my map centered right over the Dallas area, which is where I was raised.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"They say there's no such place... as Paradise. Even if you search to the ends of the Earth, there's nothing there. No matter how far you walk, it's always the same road. It just goes on and on. But, in spite of that... Why am I so driven to find it? A voice calls to me... It says, 'Search for Paradise.' " - Kiba, Wolf's Rain

• I was Buffalo, NY, Rochester, NY, and Springfield, MA.  It actually makes a lot of sense, as I lived  in various parts of NY and Western New England.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited June 2014
    That quiz was interesting. But they didn't have enough answers for some of them!  #19 about the easy class, I don't have jargon for it.  I would just call it an easy class.  And #21, I didn't know how to answer.  I know what the technical distinction is (dinner is mid-day, supper at night), but I refer to them interchangeably. #22 I use sneakers and tennis shoes interchangeably.

But I have to say, even with that it was pretty accurate.  It put me in Anchorage, Reno or Madison.  I don't live in Anchorage, but I do live in Alaska.

Most people say that Alaskans don't really have an accent or really a dialect at all.  Although people do throw in Alaska Native or Russian or Norwegian words. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards