Wisconsin

Beware of Fred Astaire Dance Studio

Just a word of caution to anyone who plans on taking dance lessons with Fred Astaire, it's a HUGE sales pitch the entire time. We went in for a "free" lesson they gave us from a bridal show I attended, had a great time and decided to sign up for a package of 6 classes. From the moment we began taking our actual classes our instructor talked about our next level and how we'd really only learn enough for our first dance if we continued into the next package of 10-15 classes.

We finally told her this week that we would not be continuing the classes after our package was finished and she literally spent the entire lesson trying to make us change our minds. We were very clear (repeating it 6-7 times throughout the lesson) that it's not in our budget right now and there's no changing that, she even went so far as to ask us to set up a registry so our guests could pay for our lessons!

The lessons are fun, just keep in mind you'll be hassled to keep spending more money!

Re: Beware of Fred Astaire Dance Studio

• edited December 2011
    I would venture to say that this might vary by location.  I have friends who won a few free sessions (not from a bridal show) but went to learn a dance for their wedding.

She sang nothing but praise for her instructors and never mentioned feeling any pressure from sales pitches.

They continued the lessons for a year or so after the free sessions were up because they enjoyed it so much.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I had the EXACT same problem at the Mequon location!!!  VERY hard sell.  The instructor was great, experienced, but the session wasn't "free."  They count that toward one of your lessons and they want you pay for 5 up front, and you have to take all 5 like within a week's time.  Who can do that?

So, I found the NICEST, older lady--Ms. Geri Sawyer.  She teaches dance at Nicolet High School sometimes, but now is at Le Club in Glendale.  She is an experienced ballroom dancer and is well under $350 (Fred Astaire) for 6 weeks.  Her sessions are an hour, but she always goes longer. :)

We learned so much and we're going back starting this fall to 'brush up.' 

142 Ready To Celebrate! image

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards