Connecticut
Options

Summer 2015 Budget Wedding

giselleemmagiselleemma member
First Comment
edited June 2014 in Connecticut
Hi all, My budget for next summer is $10,000 for a party of 100. I'm having a really hard time finding somewhere that will be able to meet this price with gratuity, tax, etc. included. Some places will rent for cheap, but the vendors end up making it more expensive in the long run. Any ideas? I've scoured the boards using keywords, but I've not found much. Any former or future CT budget brides: can you share your experience or recommendations? Unfortunately, the time of year and the number of guests are not negotiable for me. :( Any help would be appreciated! ~Giselle

Re: Summer 2015 Budget Wedding

• Options
    I'm also a budget bride.

Our venue, the Inn at Middletown, was happy to work within our budget and would be in your price range (our package is passed apps for cocktail hour, champagne toast, a sit-down dinner, five hour open bar, and a cake for around 80 pp after tax and service charge. They also include centerpieces.)

We also looked at The Country House in East Haven and it is gorgeous with fantastic food and they have great budget- friendly packages. The only reason we didn't book there was that we didn't like the ceremony setup/ we absolutely fell in love with Inn at Middletown.

One thing I learned fast was to ask places what they can do within your budget. The worst thing they can do is hold firm on the packages/ pricing and you haven't lost anything by asking. That's how we ended up at our venue. Don't expect them to budge necessarily but sometimes these things are negotiable.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Try to do off-days and off times. Lunch is cheaper than dinner usually, etc. 
  • Options
    A few months ago I went to a cake and champagne reception and loved it.  There was a nice ceremony, followed by a cocktail hour with hosted non-alcoholic drinks, beer and wine, and passed appetizers.  Then the bride and groom arrived  for a few special dances, cut the cake, mingled with guests, and we departed after a few hours.  Slightly nontraditional but still truly lovely.
  • Options
    would you even consider to have your wedding during the month of Oct. or Nov.? Also a Sunday wedding? I am sure you can get many discounts from venues and vendors for having an off season wedding. 

• Options
    Check out Bank Streets.  It's a very affordable place.  A friend of a friend had her wedding there and it was beautiful.  
  • Options
    A word of caution about the "off-season"- we found that having a November wedding (and on a Friday night, too!) didn't save us any money off of the per-person pricing, but it did allow us to meet a lower minimum number of guests required. This helped because with 80 on our invite list there was no way we were going to make a 100 guest minimum most venues seem to have for a Saturday night.

We didn't find much difference in vendor's prices for November vs. June/ July either.

We did see a difference for time of day. As pp suggested, a lunch was less expensive than a dinner pretty much anywhere we looked.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards