Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

No Chicken dish?

I know chicken is kind of the neutral go-to for buffets. I found a good catering company that does BBQ style buffet. I can choose 3 meats and 3 sides. I was going to do pulled pork, beef brisket, and baked ziti. Obviously the ziti for a more neutral and vegetarian option. The only type of chicken they offer is on the bone. I personally hate on the bone chicken, it's not exactly easy to eat and can be greasy.

Would you eat the selections I have made? Would you be annoyed by no chicken? Just as a side note, the brisket comes with sauces on the side so it's not smothered in anything if anyone just wants a plain cut of beef.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: No Chicken dish?

• ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I would definitely eat it. 

I think you're in the clear because if you have guests who don't eat red meat, they can still enjoy the ziti. 
  • I would eat it as well.

What are your sides?  Are you going to provide a salad?

• We didn't offer a chicken option at our wedding. I only heard how wonderful the food was, so I don't think most people cared. We did have a chicken app at cocktail hour, though.
  • @Maggie0829 I'm having caesar salad, garlic mashed potatoes, green beans, macaroni and cheese and cornbread.

For apps I'm doing Crab dip (although I'm peeved they are serving this with tortilla chips instead of bread), blackberry sauce meatballs, fruit & cheese trays.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That all sounds great! I also don't eat bone-in chicken.

• Sounds yummy to me. We also didn't have a chicken option- a pasta bar with 3 options, lamb, sea bass. Why are you upset about the tortilla chips??? The crab dip I make is suppose to be served with tortilla chips and I've it that way many times in restaurants. Also works well for the GF crowd. Some dips aren't suppose to be with bread.
  • @BlueBirdMB - Where are you from? I live in PA but lived in MD most of my life. Crab dip has always been a favorite of mine, and I have had it from several different restaurants in Baltimore. It has always been served with sliced baguette or once I had a mixture of Baguette and crackers. 

I have had shrimp fondue with tortilla chips, which is ok but I'm not crazy about. So I'm thinking it will be the same with the crab dip.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • No, I don't think it's a big deal at all. The only meat I eat is chicken (along with the occasional steak), but I would happily devour the baked ziti and the sides. Your food options sound delicious.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• @Angusaur - Um can I be invited to your wedding because all of that sounds delish!

And as a resident Marylander I would protest the tortilla chips with the crab dip.  Crab dip is meant to be served with a baguette or soft pretzels, not tortilla chips!  What are they thinking?!

• Weird. I always have crab dip with crackers. But it's more of a spread, with cream cheese and topped with cocktail sauce. The only one that gets served with chips is the hot one I make with cheese and jalapenos, because IMO anything with jalapenos belongs on a chip.

• I guess the bread/pretzel thing is only a Maryland tradition.

But personally, anything served on a tortilla chip should be associated with Mexican food.  

If you are going to serve crab dip with a chip (oh the humanity!) then it should be a plain or ripple chip.

• I think we need a recipe Friday with everyone's crab dip recipes and recommended dippers now.

• have you thought about maybe jazzing up the ziti with some veggies mixed in so its not so plain,

other than that your other dishes sound amazing and i love bbq what about asking them to do pulled chicken?  i know you said they only do on the bone but it would not hurt to ask them
  • Can the crab dip be on pita chips? That might be a bit better than tortilla. Not that it matters, I'll eat crab dip off almost anything.

Anniversary
  • Your menu sounds amazing! I wouldn't miss the chicken at all with a BBQ menu and would stuff my face with brisket and mac & cheese.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards