Wisconsin
Options

Negotiating with venues/vendors - any success?

Has anyone had any success with negotiating with reception venues or with vendors?  If so, any tactics that seemed to work?  What were some things you were able to negotiate?  Love to hear your input.  Thanks!!

Re: Negotiating with venues/vendors - any success?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I negotiated with my photographer.  I found her on craigslist and she was a little out of our price range.  I first asked if she offered a winter discount.  After she said no (because her prices were already reasonable compared to others in the Madison area) she offered to cut down the price if we served as reference after the wedding.  We ended up with $250 off the package just by asking for a discount.  So I'd say just asking what you can do to afford them would be a good start.

Research is the best move.  Finding newer business--they will be more likely to work with you and they will be cheaper in the first place.

GL!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I absolutely agree that going with new business is the key to saving money.  Our photographer did our engagement pics and was great so we are keeping her.  She is younger and building a portfolio and I've seen enough to be confident.

Our venue, the Mil Pub Market is newer to weddings and there is less "fine print" about what they can do because it is a newer thing to them.

Because of this I don't think I've tried to negotiate price, more just negotiate extras with our various vendors.  Whether it be more time or more service, etc etc...

Good luck!
  • Options
    boxcarboxcar member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it is best to be firm and honest when you ask for a discount. 

I like to say something like "I am so impresed with our work and I'd really love to use your services for our wedding. Unfortunately, your package A is a bit out of our price range, would you consider offering the same services for the price of your package B?"

But I also shop carefully ahead of time...because I HATE asking for discounts. :)
  • Options
    Alyssa0421Alyssa0421 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We negotiated a lower price for our DJ, Sound by Design (and our wedding was even on a Saturday in high season), and also for our videographer, JC Designs. Our florist, Petals by Carrie, also just worked hard to keep our estimate within our budget. The first estimate was higher than I wanted, so she just sent it back with lower bouquet/centerpiece costs.

It never hurts to ask!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards