Honeymoon Discussions

Non Honeymoon Trip--Long Weekend Beach Getaway

We would like to take a long weekend trip to the beach this fall (September-October) and I am having trouble deciding on a location.  Suggestions are welcome.

Myrtle Beach is looking kind of run down unless you go "resort"...  Sanibel Island is my go-to location but the no-see-ums are pretty brutal in September and October.

We would like to spend around $1,500 (including airfare from Ohio) for a three-four night stay.  We would love to have a beachfront condo with a kitchen or a hotel that offers breakfast as part of the rate.

We don't plan on doing a lot of activities, mostly lying on the beach or by the pool.  We would eat dinner out and maybe do a little shopping...

Please recommend your favorite towns (and hotels/condos if you have them).
photo composite_14153800476219.jpg

Re: Non Honeymoon Trip--Long Weekend Beach Getaway

• I've tentatively narrowed it down to Destin/Fort Walton Beach or Panama City, FL.

Recommendations welcome.  :)
  • Key West 
    But I've heard great things about Destin. 
  • dalm0mdalm0m member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited June 2014
    Consider a short 3-4 day cruise out of Miami.  There are a few lines that run these.  The are a bit party hearty but you can get away from the crazies. We did a 4 day on the RCL Majesty of the Seas for our 1st cruise. You will have a few lines to chose from all with pros & cons.  With airfare from NJ & a BIG bar bill (which of course you control) the total cost was about $1500.
  • I love Key West and can't wait to go back.  If you fly into Ft. Laudedale, it's an awesome drive down!  Rent a convertible if you can!

It's not beachy, but Charleston is really lovely!  If you get a hotel downtown, you don't even need a car, everything is within walking distance. Try to get a hotel that has an airport shuttle.

• dalm0m said:
    Consider a short 3-4 day cruise out of Miami.  There are a few lines that run these.  The are a bit party hearty but you can get away from the crazies. We did a 4 day on the RCL Majesty of the Seas for our 1st cruise. You will have a few lines to chose from all with pros & cons.  With airfare from NJ & a BIG bar bill (which of course you control) the total cost was about $1500.
    We are doing a cruise for our first anniversary, but I guess it wouldn't hurt anything to check into it.  I don't know why I didn't think of it...  lol
  • Wegl13Wegl13 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Savannah and Tybee. But I will admit I am a sucker for the East Coast and no one agrees with me.
  • Wegl13 said:
    Savannah and Tybee. But I will admit I am a sucker for the East Coast and no one agrees with me.

I also love Myrtle and don't find it rundown.

• I've done Panama City a few times because FI was stationed down there and because I went there in college once. You can do beach-front hotels pretty cheaply in the off-season, but honestly, it's a Spring Break town. It's very quiet and kind of dumpy (after you leave the main strip of hotels, there's not much else except small houses and crappy liquor stores) when it's not the height of summer or spring break season.

Destin is more family-oriented and more quiet, but really beautiful beaches (went once in August).

I'm dying to do Savannah/Tybee at some point. The people I know who've been have loved it - good beaches, food, activites, history, etc.

• Wegl13Wegl13 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    You can do any of the Georgia or Carolina Coast islands for pretty cheap, too. Trips I've done are at relative levels of roughing it though- I've camped out on Tybee and Jeckyll on two different college spring breaks (it's a nice beach vacation, and they are never as crowded as the Gulf). Also went with parents to Tybee twice and Hilton Head once- we rented a house for each trip which was inexpensive and really nice (one of the ones in Tybee had an outdoor shower which was sweet). Last year I took my dog to Jeckyll for a cheap solo trip (bad idea in July because it's hot as crap for the pup but it is fun you can take your dog on various beaches there!). Everyone that hates the East Coast when compared to the Gulf is a bigger fan of sunning on the beach- the Gulf beaches have whiter sand and prettier water, but in my experience they are also generally more crowded and touristy. There's cool wildlife, lots of biking trails (and you can bike on the beach!), and lots of historic stuff (especially in Savannah of course) on Georgia's coast that I absolutely adore. But again, it depends on what you want to do there.
  • If you want to go to the Myrtle Beach area, but not to actual Myrtle Beach, check into the beach towns that are slightly south:  Surfside Beach, Garden City, Murrells Inlet, Litchfield, and Pawley's Island (they get progressively nicer as you move further south down Hwy 17).   My parents live south of Myrtle Beach, and its not as touristy.  Savannah and Hilton Head are also great!

Check out the gulf-coast area of Florida as well.  Clearwater Beach, St. Petersburg, Siesta and Long Boat Keys, etc. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • If you are mainly going for a beach-don't go to Key West. The beaches are terrible. And I think Southernmost is the only actually on the (man-made) beach. Also Key West is pretty expensive, you might find it hard to do it for $1500. I love Key West, but it is not a beach destination. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards