Wedding Reception Forum

white wine?

For the reception we're having Beer, Bourbon, and wine. My question is regarding the wine, We're for sure having a red, rather sweet wine. As it's from a winery from my hometown and one of my favorites. What would be a good alternative for those that don't like a sweet wine? Chardonnay? What brands (budget friendly) do you prefer in a white wine?  

Re: white wine?

• Personally I hate Chardonnay but it is a very popular choice. Pino Grigios are also popular, and usually pretty crisp/dry. I believe they tend to be a bit cheaper, too, since they are usually served young and in my experience aged wines usually cost more.

Are you bringing in your own wine, or ordering from a caterer? If you're doing it yourself, definitely check out a wholesaler like Costco (note: not all of them sell liquor so call ahead). You can get a lot more bang for your buck there. As for specific brands, I definitely know some cheap ones but they're mostly shit (I beg you, stay away from anything Yellowtail). I have really enjoyed a lot of the cheap wines from the Trader Joe's wine shop, if you have one around you. The staff is usually really knowledgeable and they might be able to get you a deal for ordering by the case. I had a lovely New Zealand sauvignon blanc from Trader Joe's called Matua--it was really reasonably priced, and was a lovely, light, minerally wine that would go well with food or just for sippin'. Their website: http://www.matua.co.nz/
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • I'm a big fan of sauvignon blanc in the summer.

Here's a link with some basic white wine info. They have some suggested pairings, so take a look if you know what your menu is going to be:
    *********************************************************************************

• Definitely go with a dry white if you're serving a sweet red. Normally I would say Chardonnay and another option but if you're only going with one white, then I'll ditto PPs and say either a pinot grigio or a sauvignon blanc. Both are light, crisp and dry - that should pleasing to the most people.

• Sauvignon Blanc or Pino Grigio are my choice for cheap whites. I've never had a good cheap Chardonnay.
  • Totally forgot about Sauv. Blanc!  Excellent suggestions! 
  • What's your guest list look like? I've never met anyone under ~40 who's ever ordered a glass of Chardonnay. It's generally Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc as the "standards". If you have a lot of older relatives or something though, they might be expecting Chardonnay. 
  • I really like Riesling and Cabernet Blanc
  • MandyMost said:
    What's your guest list look like? I've never met anyone under ~40 who's ever ordered a glass of Chardonnay. It's generally Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc as the "standards". If you have a lot of older relatives or something though, they might be expecting Chardonnay. 
    I think you've posted this elsewhere and it's simply not true. I'm 27 and LOVE a good, oakey chardonnay. I think my boss is around 35 and her fav is Simi chardonnay. And I know other women on this board have posted that they like chardonnay. It's not like it's only reserved for older people...
  • Please, Dear God, no cheap Chardonnay; even expensive Chardonnay is hit or miss in my experience (though I agree it's not an "old people" wine in the slightest).

I'd say Reisling, but if your red is sweet, you'll want something dryer, so I agree with the Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc.

See what Costco or Trader Joe's has for you.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards