Attire & Accessories Forum

Wedding in 5 months. Trying to figure out dresses. Helllpp!

So I decided to do a navy blue, blush, gold and ivory wedding. And I want the guys to wear navy blue suits but I also want my bridesmaids to wear navy blue dresses with my Maid of honor in the same dress but in champagne, my matron of honor in blush and my co maid of honor. Yes I have a co, to wear petal pink. But I am so torn wondering if it's tooo much navy.

Re: Wedding in 5 months. Trying to figure out dresses. Helllpp!

• lilacck28lilacck28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited June 2014
    I had the same concern. For ease, I am asking bridesmaids to wear navy, and might ask groomsmen to do a navy blazer with grey pants (or a grey suit. this is all dependent on FBIL. le sigh.) I don't think that is too much navy. Navy is a great color. Google "navy wedding party" and you'll see some all navy attire that looks great. And it really helps the bride and groom to stand out. 

ps- make your decision fast. More time to order the dress/ suit for your wedding party is very helpful. 
  • My inclination is to say that might be too much navy, but honestly for me it would depend on how many bridesmaids you have. How many of them would be in navy?
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • I'd be more concerned at the amount of different colors rather than too much navy personally. I think a lot will depend on how many people are in your bridal party. Could you do sashes on the bms to break up the navy? The gms could wear matching ties.

Anniversary
  • @KatieinBkln‌ there are 10 bms all together. I want 7 of them in navy. @chibiyui‌ I plan on having the gm in navy suits with blush accessories. My original thought was to have the girls in blush with navy sashes but I don't like the way it looks with the dresses. So I figured if my mohs were in different colors it would be ok. Still trying to figure this out.
  • JenLee217 said:
    @KatieinBkln‌ there are 10 bms all together. I want 7 of them in navy. @chibiyui‌ I plan on having the gm in navy suits with blush accessories. My original thought was to have the girls in blush with navy sashes but I don't like the way it looks with the dresses. So I figured if my mohs were in different colors it would be ok. Still trying to figure this out.
    I mean, it's a lot of navy. On the other hand, the dresses have a nice sheen to them whereas (I am assuming here) the suits won't, so that contrast will be really nice. I don't think it'll look odd or anything either way--it just depends on whether you mind having that much blue. For the record I'm doing navy bridesmaids dresses as well, so I have thought about this too.
  • I actually don't think it's too much navy at all. Think about your ceremony standing arrangement. There will be 5 people between the first navy dress and the first navy suit (groom, you, 3 MOHs - if I'm reading correctly). 

I think as long as the GMs wear white shirts and the blush tie, it's just going to look like a normal suit and the navy dresses won't look any different than any other navy BM dress at a wedding (I also did navy). I think you may be over-thinking this.
    *********************************************************************************

• @southernbelle0915‌ I may be over thinking it, but I just want it to look good. @KatieinBkln‌ no the suits don't have sheen just the dresses. The bridesmaid bouquet will be blush ranunculus and white roses. That is why I love the navy dresses.
  • JenLee217 said:
    @southernbelle0915‌ I may be over thinking it, but I just want it to look good. @KatieinBkln‌ no the suits don't have sheen just the dresses. The bridesmaid bouquet will be blush ranunculus and white roses. That is why I love the navy dresses.
    That sounds lovely!
  • It sounds ridiculous.  Vow renewals do not have bridesmaids or groomsmen.  OP is already married.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    It sounds ridiculous.  Vow renewals do not have bridesmaids or groomsmen.  OP is already married.
    Where on earth are you getting that from?
  • CMGragain said:
    It sounds ridiculous.  Vow renewals do not have bridesmaids or groomsmen.  OP is already married.
    @KatieinBkln - the OP posted on another thread about how this she got married last year at the JOP because she wanted something small and intimate and that having this lavish "vow renewal" aka PPD is her compromise to her H and family.

• CMGragain said:
    @KatieinBkln - the OP posted on another thread about how this she got married last year at the JOP because she wanted something small and intimate and that having this lavish "vow renewal" aka PPD is her compromise to her H and family.
    wait, what? I don't even really care about most PPDs. But, OP, if you WANTED a small and intimate affair and it wasn't even a "omg, someone is dying. omg my fiance needs in state tuition." type of situation, then why would you be having this big extravaganza now???  
  • JenLee217 said:
    I am a woman who is leagally married, went to justice of piece and all. My option for doing so was I wanted something intimate between me and my spouse. Our family knows and yes some were upset. But we are now in the process of planning to renew those vows and have big wedding with our family in attendance. We are going the big poufy dress and tux route with a tiered cake a dj and our first dance. It may not technically be our first dance. But it's our first dance that will be witnessed and shared among our family and friends. It doesn't matter why you chose to have a JOP wedding. As long as the love is still there. And if family members are upset sorry to say this bit let's be real. That is your husband and if this is what you both want to do, then do it. And if your family loves you both they will be there to support you and not put you down. Once you're married it's you and him. If you want to celebrate it over then so. And it is a real wedding no matter how you did it, just take the opportunity to say we are renewing our vow not having a real wedding. Cause both are real. One just cost a whole hell of a lot more than the other. Trust me. 40 dollars to do justice of peace and pay for license. 12000 dollars for our wedding budget (which we're at a total of 9600 spent)
    Here is from another thread for those interested

Anniversary
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    She is having TEN bridesmaids - count 'em!  TEN!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • @dignity100. That was difficult to read. I'm a little confused/ not feeling patient enough to sort through it. Was the OP encouraging someone that their JOP is, indeed, just as much a wedding as anything else? Or was she encouraging someone to do the JOP and another ceremony later, that it doesn't matter why you did the JOP? Or both? huh? 
  • Regardless of what her situation is...she came on the attire and accesories board to ask about colors. There is no need to dredge this post up from another thread. If you want to comment on that, go over to whatever board that is on and give her your insight there..... I am all on board with people giving people the truth about their PPD's in its respective place.
  • Since the OP asked about colors:
    For a vow renewal, a wedding party is not necessary.  However, if this is going to happen, I do not think it will be too much navy, however it might be difficult to match the navy attire.  I would probably consider putting the men in a grey/lt. charcoal suit with navy accessories and the ladies in navy.  I think in the long run, the men will get more wear out of a grey suit than a navy suit.

So this is what I would be looking at:

Anniversary
  • Colors are very simple for a proper vow renewal ceremony.  I am always glad to help ladies plan a nice vow renewal.  The OP is planning a lavish wedding, with ten bridesmaids, and that is a terrible idea.  If you don't have attendants, there is no problem with color schemes.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I'm with @CMGragain.  OP is misrepresenting her vow renewal as a wedding, even to us here.  Not cool.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    Oh, and this vow renewal includes a bachelorette party!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Yeah, yeah, that's all very shitty, what a bad OP. 

Honestly I'm not really interested in following people from board to board to slap their wrists repeatedly. I'm not about PPDs, but it seems to me that at this point she's going to go through with it. It's no skin of my nose to give her advice about colors or compliment her bouquets.
  • To all if you who have commented about my different post on a different thread you may all have your opinions about my reasoning to do this big wedding renewal. It may not be etiquette or in anyone else's liking but it's my choice along with my husband to have something big. Us having bridesmaids and groomsmen are our choice as well. Us rereading our vows and sharing our experience with both of our families this time is also our choice. On this thread I am asking about colors. On the other thread I am touching on a topic that one person wrote that JOP aren't the real deal. And I said that it is. It's sad that instead of encouraging someone to just enjoy the fact that they are renewing their vows and deciding to do it in this LAVISH way you speak bad and talk down. Regardless of my me being married I am planning bow renewal and just asked for advice not get hung in the process because I am already married. Look at how Heidi klum and seal renewed their vows every year and did it in a lavish way. It's my choice with my husband to do this our way. And if you all have a problem then it's your problem.
  • And yes I get to have a bachelorette party cause that is what my sisters want to throw. I may not be a bachelorette but there is nothing wrong with having a party. Even possibly with strippers. :)
  • JenLee217 said:
    And yes I get to have a bachelorette party cause that is what my sisters want to throw. I may not be a bachelorette but there is nothing wrong with having a party. Even possibly with strippers. :)
    This is inspiring to me. I've decided I am going to throw myself a Bat Mitzvah. I may not be Jewish or 12 years old but there's nothing wrong with having a party!! 
    *********************************************************************************

• JenLee217 said:
    And yes I get to have a bachelorette party cause that is what my sisters want to throw. I may not be a bachelorette but there is nothing wrong with having a party. Even possibly with strippers. :)
    Your entitlement and immaturity is astounding. Why do you "get" to have anything? Where does it say that you are entitled to anything? Grow up and quit treating your family and friends like rubbish.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards