Snarky Brides

Dinnertime wedding but no dinner

edited June 2014 in Snarky Brides
So I just received the invite for a cousin's wedding next month. It's for a 6 o'clock wedding. I immediately thought,  "Hmm.. 6 o'clock is typically considered formal... I didn't realize she could afford that." Now before I come off sounding like a complete bitch, let me tell you a little about my cousin. She'll be 22 in September, she has 3 children, ages 3, 2, and just under 1 (she apparently didn't listen to the doctor's recommendation to wait 6 weeks). She proudly makes it known that she relies on government assistance to get by. Cool, it's there for a reason, but this is why I made the assumption that hosting a formal wedding would be a little out of price range. So I call up my mom, and say, "Sooo.. just got cousin's wedding invitation. 6 pm wedding? Really?"
Mom: "Oh yeah, but she isn't serving food. She says she 'can't afford to feed all those people'."

ARE YOU F*CKING KIDDING ME. 

Edited because bad etiquette makes me have bad typos.
Anniversary

Re: Dinnertime wedding but no dinner

• I never associate time of day with formality.  My cousin got married at 6pm and it was so not formal.  The reception was in the church basement and on the lawn.  They served hors d'oeuvres, cake, and punch.  I remember my family complaining about the reception and wondering why my aunt and uncle couldn't have held it at the same place as the rehearsal dinner or somewhere similar. The rehearsal dinner was way nicer than the reception.  Several of them also hit the hotel bar that night since it was a dry reception. Only wedding I've ever been to that didn't serve a meal.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I do not always think 6 pm is formal.  My wedding was at 5:30 pm and DH didn't wear a suit or tux and wore flip-flops.  We did have a ridiculous cocktail hour with sushi, raw bar and 10 different passed apps.  THEN we had plated dinner.

So what I'm saying is time of day does not mean formality to me, however, time of day means I except to be served at minimum, an appropriate amount of food for the time of day.  You can always serve me a full meal at 2pm event, but never serve me chips and peanuts at a 6pm event.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • NymeruNymeru member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    If she's not doing a meal, is she serving anything to eat at all?
  • Dinnertime reception and no food? No thanks. Have it between meals if you don't want to feed "all those people".

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• NymeruNymeru member
    Has anyone approached your cousin and let her know how pissed her guests are going to be when they realize that they're not going to be hosted at all?  What about her FI or his family?  Can't they throw in to the kitty and try and scrounge up something?
  • Maybe be a bit sweet and in lieu of a present, coordinate a potluck of sorts...
  • Maybe be a bit sweet and in lieu of a present, coordinate a potluck of sorts...
    is this a joke? Should there be some hint of sarcasm that I'm missing...?
    Anniversary

• MagicInk said:
    Look if I'm gonna put on a bra and a dress, and make-up, and buy you a gift then least you can do, is feed me.

Oh sing it sister!  I don't wear dresses.  I wore one a couple of weeks ago for DDs wedding (she was totally cool if I wanted to wear pants, but I couldn't find any that I felt would work, dammit).  I always dress nicely for weddings, but it is usually a nice pantsuit.  A dress?  You better frickin feed me the best meal ever if I have to go through that!
  • MegEn1MegEn1 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    The 'formal' time isn't what I'm tripping over here - it's the 'dinner' time. Not serving food, have a 2 o'clock reception and send everyone on their way by 5 to get some munches!

Achievement Unlocked: Survived Your Wedding! 
  • I'm really not even sure where I heard the 6pm=formal thing, so we can totally disregard that. I don't know that FI or his family is in any better position financially to help out. I'm not sure if anyone has actually approached cousin about how rude it is, but I feel like if they did she would say, "fine don't come." Which is basically what I WOULD do if she weren't close family and I didn't feel obligated. Someone asked earlier if she's serving food at all, she's having cake. That's it.
    Anniversary

• NymeruNymeru member
    So is she having any form of reception afterwards (music, dancing, etc.), or is it just walking down the aisle and cake?
  • Nymeru said:
    So is she having any form of reception afterwards (music, dancing, etc.), or is it just walking down the aisle and cake?
    I'm not sure, she is definitely having a reception, but I think it's just cake/punch with some background music and mingling? maybe?
    Anniversary

• MGPMGP member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Nymeru said:
    So for these "no meal during a meal time" weddings does that mean the couple doesn't eat at all either?  This is a serious question. 
  • edited June 2014
    MGP said: Nymeru said: If she's not doing a meal, is she serving anything to eat at all?
    So for these "no meal during a meal time" weddings does that mean the couple doesn't eat at all either?  This is a serious question. 

I would
    assume so... but not 100% sure. You never know with the couple I'm talking about. 

Edited for formatting. Which did not work. 
    Anniversary

• MGPMGP member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2014
    lynze425 said:
    MGP said:
    Nymeru said:

I would assume so... but not 100% sure. You never know with the couple I'm talking about. 

Edited for formatting. Which did not work. 
    ----------------

If someone is going to make their guests starve they better damn well starve too. If there was any "secret" eating at a wedding like that I would flip my lid. 
  • While not at all appropriate, this is what the B&G have decided on. If not going isn't an option eat a really big, late lunch and leave as early as possible. An event such as this can't possibly last very long with all of the guests thinking the same thing, so likely you won't be the only one heading out to dinner afterward. Make the best of it by making dinner reservations at your favorite restaurant. You'll already be dressed up and you'll have something to look forward to that day instead of being salty about a crappy wedding reception you're obligated to attend. 
  • If you and your family go, make early dinner reservations for your group so that you can do some pre-reception eating and bitching.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• What the hell?  Then don't invite "All those people" if you can't properly host.

So if you threw a crazy house party and 50 people showed, it's cool to say "I've gathered you all here to gaze upon me, for an event about me, because I am the reason you're here.  Food?  Yeah, I don't have a budget for that, just sit around and congratulate me on my epic house party and the outfit I'm wearing."  She can't even bean dip about it because there IS NO BEAN DIP.

I get so grumpy/snarky/bitchy when I'm hungry.  I would be like "Yeah I'm washing my hair that day."

• larrygaga said:
    Usually if I don't know the person super well, I bring a card with money. I never seal it, so I can take the money back out and go buy myself some dinner. This is how many times this has happened to me.

lol

bye bitch
    LMAO This!

• larrygaga said:
    Usually if I don't know the person super well, I bring a card with money. I never seal it, so I can take the money back out and go buy myself some dinner. This is how many times this has happened to me.

lol

bye bitch

One of my dad's friends joked after he heard that we had our tasting that he doesn't put the card in the box until after the meal. This prompted me to tell him and FI the similar story someone had on here recently about the guy who shows up to every wedding with $200 cash, and every time he has to open his wallet for something like a cash bar or dollar dance, he removes a 20, and they get whatever's left in their card at the end of the night. They thought it was awesome.

Yeah, this would warrant me taking it all with me.

Edit: because paragraphs.

Does he just wait to make sure he's fed/hosted properly, or would he withhold a card if, say, his steak was overcooked or he didn't care for the side dishes?

The former is awesome, the latter I would side-eye.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards