Snarky Brides

Another round of "tacky or cute?"

Someone I know was recently married and lo and behold, a Facebook photo is a just-married selfie.  They are literally at the head of the aisle with all their guests in the ceremony space- in their chairs, in the background of the selfie. It's not a professional photo at all- definitely, no doubt at all, the bride or groom snapped the picture after the vows. 

For the record, I vote this tacky. 

You?

Re: Another round of "tacky or cute?"

• Meh, I have no problem with this. Personally, selfies aren't a trend I subscribe to, but I don't care when people take them as long as it doesn't negatively affect anyone else. If they made people wait in their chairs until they got the "perfect selfie" or something, I would definitely think it was rude.
    *********************************************************************************

• I don't know if I'd go so far as to say it's tacky. I think the whole selfie thing is stupid. Even typing the word out annoyed me. 

I guess I can sort of understand if they planned it out and wanted a picture of that. I do think it's weird for one of them to have their cell phone on them and to do it spontaneously as they're walking down the aisle. I mean, you hired a professional photographer for the day. Maybe they wanted something to post on social media right away? 

Yeah, it's weird. 
  • Fun, but tacky. I mean that mostly in the sense that it's just not my style, wouldn't do it personally, but wouldn't judge if someone else thought it was funny. I'll probably have my fiance take a selfie with me, just for fun, but it won't be up at the altar like that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think what bothered me about this bride is that it came off as AW-ish, with that need to have something for Facebook immediately before pro photos come out. 

A couple who elopes, has a tiny wedding without a pro photog---  a selfie would be needed and cute. A large wedding with pros capturing everything? AWish.  

• I dunno if "tacky" is the right word, but it does seem silly.  I feel like I'm going to be so busy on the day of, I wouldn't even think of it.  Besides, I'm already planning on leaving my phone with MOH--I want it before the ceremony, just in case someone needs directions or there's some sort of emergency, but afterwards, why do I need it?  I'll be busy party rockin'.

Anniversary

• ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Eh, it doesn't bother me. It's not something I'd do, but I think it's kind of cute --- "here we are the second after!" 

I was just in a wedding this weekend & when the DJ announced the bridal party into the reception, each BM & GM snapped a selfie after entering. It was a spur of the moment decision & it got a lot of laughs. Plus the selfies actually ended up pretty awesome. 
  • I'm more on the "cute" side then the "tacky" side on this one.

Anniversary
  • chibiyui said:
    I'm more on the "cute" side then the "tacky" side on this one.
    Same here.  It sounds like they most likely planned it out before hand and if they both wanted to do it then I don't really see it being tacky.  I mean couples do silly things that they think are cute or fun all the time during their wedding day so I don't really see this as any different.  And sorry to say, but selfies and updating social media every minute is just a part of life now so this kind of thing wouldn't surprise me.

• Maggie's exactly right that selfies and updating social media every minute are part of life now. That's exactly what makes me sad, haha. I'm more with Slothie in that I don't even plan to have my phone on me; and I, too, will be party-rocking. :)

• I don't think it's tacky, but I think it's kind of juvenile to pause in your ceremony (yes, I realize ceremony part was over, but this is still part of it, IMO) to take a selfie. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I think it's a little tacky- but in a fun way! My FI would KILL me, but I think it's kind of adorable! I think it's a cute play on the trend and I bet that's probably their favorite picture!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think it's a little tacky- but in a fun way! My FI would KILL me, but I think it's kind of adorable! I think it's a cute play on the trend and I bet that's probably their favorite picture!
    What it really reminded me of is Ellen D's Oscar selfie with all the stars in the audience.... You're right, it's probably going to be their favorite picture.  Ok, that softens my snarky heart a little! 

• Eh I think it's cute. Would I do it? No, but I so t think it's that bad.
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    It's more tacky/stupid than cute, IMO.  You will have so many pictures taken of yourselves that day by professionals and guests, but you feel the need to take a selfie?  Ooh, how trendy and hip of you.

• I wouldn't exactly call it tacky, but I would definitely eyeroll hard.
  • I vote tacky. I'm just not into this obsessive selfie trend. It comes across as narcissistic and AW to me.

• edited July 2014
    I mainly just wanted to comment and tell @senecaf that the picture in your signature is too cute

As for the topic at hand, if it were me I may take a selfie as soon as we exit the ceremony site and it's just the two of us, but I don't think I'd pause the actual ceremony to do. I also don't plan on having my phone on me the day-of so I doubt either will happen.

Edited for formatting.
    Anniversary

• NymeruNymeru member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I wouldn't say it's tacky.  It sounds more spontaneous and fun.  Yes, they probably have a professional photographer, but even a professional doesn't always capture the moment the way you'd like.
  • Neither. It's not cute to me, but I wouldn't call it tacky. Just a bit silly (but not in a negative way). It's fine if people want to do things differently and just play with the whole selfie trend for such a special occasion. But it's not something I'd do or be in awe watching on social media. 
  • eh, I think it's cute. Selfies are all the rage right now and it seems like the couple is having fun.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I am not a fan of selfies, but to say whether it is tacky or not depends on the couple.  If they are fans of the selfie trend, then it makes sense.  If they aren't and they just decided to do it at their wedding to be cool, then yes, tacky. 

• I really wouldn't take it myself on my phone. But... I really wanted the guests in the background too, so I understand that. I solved my issue by telling my photographer to get the shot during our first kiss. I'm guilty of seeing it on pintrest and loving it.
  • Oops, that was the cropped photo. Here we go.
  • @molly&domenic, now that's a way to get the just-married photo. Very nice!

• I think this is tacky, too. And I'd be annoyed as a guest if the couple stopped the wedding just to take a selfie.
  • It seems silly to me. I could see privately taking a selfie afterwards with you and your fiance to save, but I just don't personally understand being on facebook on your wedding day.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I attended a wedding of a couple who just did this and their selfie picture was one of the cutest pictures of the day. Stopping the wedding to update your facebook status is one thing but I wasn't bothered by their picture  Folks in the crowd got a good laugh about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards