Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Gluten Free

Is anyone else gluten intolerant or have Celiac Disease? I have already picked out our menu and was diagnosed with Celiac disease. I requested that our caterer confirm if anything we picked would be gluten free and also if they can make some things specifically gluten free by changing ingredients, etc,.

Re: Gluten Free

• I'm not gluten intolerant, but I don't think your request of your caterer is out of line. If you're having a served meal vs. buffet, just make on option GF and mark it as such on your RSVP card. Your starch could be potatoes, rice, polenta, gluten free roll, etc. Meat and veggies don't have gluten. I don't think it'll be as big of a problem as you might be thinking. Oreos don't have any gluten, so if you've already ordered your cake, there's always that as a back-up plan. :)
    *********************************************************************************

• My whole menu is gluten free- the mother of the groom has celiac and the groom is intolerant. Its actually not that hard to do gluten free if you are working with a good caterer.

• Oreos most definitely have gluten! I have celiac disease and the entire wedding cake included will be gluten free. I'm extremely sensitive and can't risk having anything made of wheat barley or rye touch my food!
    Talk to the caterer and tell them you need ingredient lists and ask how they handle preventing cross contamination. If the answer is dodgy or terrible look for an out in the contract.
  • I'm not gluten intolerant, but I don't think your request of your caterer is out of line. If you're having a served meal vs. buffet, just make on option GF and mark it as such on your RSVP card. Your starch could be potatoes, rice, polenta, gluten free roll, etc. Meat and veggies don't have gluten. I don't think it'll be as big of a problem as you might be thinking. Oreos don't have any gluten, so if you've already ordered your cake, there's always that as a back-up plan. :)
    southernbelle0915 oreos are not gluten free.

southernbelle0915 oreos are not gluten free.
    :(  All this time I thought they were... *sigh*
    *********************************************************************************

• Oreos are vegan though :)
  • For our wedding we simply put on the RSVP card "If you have any dietary restrictions please let us know. We will do our best to accomodate you." I knew my nephew was allergic to chicken so we had extra roast beef put at his table (it was family style), one of my BM is a vegetarian and one other guest came back with some dietary restrictions too. Once we knew what they were we talked to venue on what they could do to accomodate & then we notified guest of food options & then once selected we made sure the venue knew what table that specific guest was sittinga at.

My sister is gluten free as well as her daughter and grandaughter. For my nieces wedding it was a backyard BBQ and many family members contributed with the food. There were lots of naturally gluten free products and a few people who were also gluten free product one or two gluten free dishes. So there was plenty to pick from. The wedding cake was gluten free but there were also other desserts provided. My niece was set on having a gluten free wedding cake because she wanted to be able to enjoy her own wedding cake & not get sick later. Everyone at least tried the gluten free cake, it wasn't bad.

• I'm gluten intolerant (not celiac), and I've not had any problems working with the caterer or baker. I had my heart set on eating mac and cheese at my wedding (yup I'm about 5 years old), so the caterer is making some of the mac and cheese gluten free. We're also having just the top tier of the wedding cake gluten free, but seriously, the gluten free cake this baker does is delicious and doesn't taste any different than regular. We considered just making the whole cake gluten free, which is a good option if you're celiac!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards