Wedding Party
Options

Bridesmaid budget

Last year, a couple my husband and I were close with cancelled on attending our wedding 3 months before our wedding. Our wedding was in my hometown, a $300 flight away form where they live. Both were in the bridal party, and said they just couldn't afford it all of a sudden. They said they were going to throw us celebrations in the town we were living, and said they were buying us a nice gift, and my friend said she wanted to help me with some DIY projects I was working on. We weren't expecting anything of these things, but were a little put off when none of it happened. When I invited her to help with craft nights she declined. No celebrations occurred. After the wedding, we never received so much as a card from them. They then, 1 month after our wedding, went on an extravagant trip for one-week to NYC, which they had never mentioned going on. We assumed they prioritized their trip over our wedding, which is their choice, but hurtful. We lost contact for several months. They got engaged, and we found out from Facebook rather than from them.

That's all to give you the background to the present. Flash forward, and we get together with them for the first time in around 6 months. They give us cards and gifts and we think it's just them being nice because it's the holidays. It turns out it's a big show of asking us to be in the bridal party. My husband immediately says yes, and I just awkwardly sat their. She sensed my hesitation, and assumed it was due to cost, knowing I'm a grad student. She said they'd keep things as budget-friendly as possible. I eventually said yes. I decided to just grin and bear it, as my husband was closer with the groom for a long time, and he seemed to want to do it. 

Now, it's 6 months before their wedding. My husband is the primary bread winner as I'm in school. He was laid off, and had to get a new job and we now have a significant amount of money less than we had. The bride and groom had told us they were going to keep things very budget-friendly, and we reminded them I'm in grad school and need to keep costs as low as we can. The bride said she was looking at $100 dresses, and wouldn't require us to pay for hair/makeup, and was looking at the cheapest suits at Men's Warehouse.

The dress ended up being $160. The suit is $250. Shoes are $30. Today she told me she wants us to pay for hair and makeup, which is $130. The MOH wants to throw an expensive bachelorette party- hotel, limo, very expensive club VIP. I've been trying to set limits, and they've been disregarded. I told her I couldn't afford the hair/makeup and asked her if there are particular colors/things she wanted me to purchase to do my own. She never responded and just booked all of the bridesmaids with the makeup/hair artists.

At this point, I'm thinking of giving a set amount of money we can spend, and telling her we cannot spend more than that, and leaving it up to her where she wants to give (i.e.: not require hair/makeup, or a cheaper suit, or whatever she chooses). We literally cannot afford the costs they're proposing, and I'm unwilling to take on credit card debt or something to pay for these expenses, for a couple that didn't even send us a card. I'm not trying to be petty about the past- I don't want to do things out of bitterness, but it does effect my willingness to go above and beyond for them. I was going to separately address the bachelorette party with the MOH, but she's also proving to be difficult. I was going to go the same approach of giving a set amount I can afford.

Does that seem like the best approach? Do people have other suggestions?

Re: Bridesmaid budget

• Options
    Last year, a couple my husband and I were close with cancelled on attending our wedding 3 months before our wedding. Our wedding was in my hometown, a $300 flight away form where they live. Both were in the bridal party, and said they just couldn't afford it all of a sudden. They said they were going to throw us celebrations in the town we were living, and said they were buying us a nice gift, and my friend said she wanted to help me with some DIY projects I was working on. We weren't expecting anything of these things, but were a little put off when none of it happened. When I invited her to help with craft nights she declined. No celebrations occurred. After the wedding, we never received so much as a card from them. They then, 1 month after our wedding, went on an extravagant trip for one-week to NYC, which they had never mentioned going on. We assumed they prioritized their trip over our wedding, which is their choice, but hurtful. We lost contact for several months. They got engaged, and we found out from Facebook rather than from them.

That's all to give you the background to the present. Flash forward, and we get together with them for the first time in around 6 months. They give us cards and gifts and we think it's just them being nice because it's the holidays. It turns out it's a big show of asking us to be in the bridal party. My husband immediately says yes, and I just awkwardly sat their. She sensed my hesitation, and assumed it was due to cost, knowing I'm a grad student. She said they'd keep things as budget-friendly as possible. I eventually said yes. I decided to just grin and bear it, as my husband was closer with the groom for a long time, and he seemed to want to do it. 

Now, it's 6 months before their wedding. My husband is the primary bread winner as I'm in school. He was laid off, and had to get a new job and we now have a significant amount of money less than we had. The bride and groom had told us they were going to keep things very budget-friendly, and we reminded them I'm in grad school and need to keep costs as low as we can. The bride said she was looking at $100 dresses, and wouldn't require us to pay for hair/makeup, and was looking at the cheapest suits at Men's Warehouse.

The dress ended up being $160. The suit is $250. Shoes are $30. Today she told me she wants us to pay for hair and makeup, which is $130. The MOH wants to throw an expensive bachelorette party- hotel, limo, very expensive club VIP. I've been trying to set limits, and they've been disregarded. I told her I couldn't afford the hair/makeup and asked her if there are particular colors/things she wanted me to purchase to do my own. She never responded and just booked all of the bridesmaids with the makeup/hair artists.

At this point, I'm thinking of giving a set amount of money we can spend, and telling her we cannot spend more than that, and leaving it up to her where she wants to give (i.e.: not require hair/makeup, or a cheaper suit, or whatever she chooses). We literally cannot afford the costs they're proposing, and I'm unwilling to take on credit card debt or something to pay for these expenses, for a couple that didn't even send us a card. I'm not trying to be petty about the past- I don't want to do things out of bitterness, but it does effect my willingness to go above and beyond for them. I was going to separately address the bachelorette party with the MOH, but she's also proving to be difficult. I was going to go the same approach of giving a set amount I can afford.

There are a lot of layers here that need to be addressed individually. Stand your ground and definitely do not go into debt over this. They are all being jerks.

Did you say that you could not go over a $100 budget or did she say that she would keep it in the $100 range?

If she requires hair and makeup, then she needs to pay for it. Tell her you cannot pay for hair and makeup, so you will be doing it yourself. This is a fact and not up for discussion. 

If she requires specific shoes, she is required to pay for it. So definitely do not feel that you HAVE to buy matching shoes. Wear ones you already own in the same colour. 

Any pre-wedding party is not required. Just say decline the bachelorette and do not contribute towards it. It sounds like a big mess, and I would just not go. You are not required to go. The MoH is the hostess just email her and say "Sorry, I won't be able to attend but I hope you have a great time" and leave it. Frankly, I doubt it will be much fun if these women are behaving like jerks now! You are not required to contribute to this in any way. 

I think it is fair to sit down with bride and say "my budget is X and H's budget is Y We are obviously over it, and cannot spend any more so how would you like to proceed". Leave out Bachelorette party, that is a separate issue with the MoH. 

They are being jerks, but you just need to be calm and polite. Don't let them badger you into spending more than you are comfortable with. Even if you were a multimillionaire, she cannot dictate how you spend your money and go over your budget. Stick to your guns. 

For lurkers: this is why it is SO important as a bride to get budgets beforehand!!!
  • Options

I'm going to ignore the background information because honestly that really doesn't matter.  What is done is done and weddings are not tit for tat.

With that said, unless you decide to drop out, from this point forward you need to set a limit to things.  You need to tell the bride that you are not going to buy the designated shoes but wear something you already have.  You need to tell the bride that you will do your own hair and makeup and then call and cancel your appointment at the salon. You need to tell the MOH that you will unfortunately not be able to help with the planning, and thus paying, of the bachelorette party.

I would leave what happened in the past in the past and determine what you can afford given your situation.  From the sounds of it, it does not seem like you can afford to just spend willy nilly.  If you are able to afford a certain amount for the bach party and are comfortable spending that then I would tell the MOH "I can put forth $X for the bach party but that is it."  As for the hair and makeup if the bride is requiring it she needs to pay for it, but I would just tell her that you are going to do it yourself and to cancel your appointment.

But don't let what happened during your wedding to affect how you handle this.  You really have no idea of their financial situation at the time and you have no idea how they were able to afford the NYC vacation.  Maybe it was a gift?  Maybe they happened to come into money not long after your wedding?  Unless you are their accountant you will never know so don't just assume.

• Options
    1) you are not required to pay for hair/makeup. Tell her firmly that you cannot pay for this and to cancel your appointment. 
    2) you are not required to pay for shoes. Tell her firmly that you cannot pay for this and you will be wearing a pair of shoes you already own.
    3) you are not required to attend/pay for her bachelorette (unless you've offered to help host/plan it). Tell the other BMs firmly that you are a student and can't afford this right now. If they give you shit, decline all together.
    4) Did you tell her $100 was your budget for a dress and was your husband clear about his budget for attire? If so and they went over anyway, they're assholes. If yall left the door open to let them choose without really being clear, I can see the confusion on this one.

I think you need to have a private conversation with them. All the baggage aside, you simply cannot afford these costs. The message to them should be "we value your friendship and we want to stand up for you, but we simply cannot afford these costs. I am a student and H isn't working. Unless we stick to the budgets we originally talked about, we will have to drop out and attend as guests. We are happy to do this and there are no hard feelings at all, but the reality is that we simply can't afford the things you're asking us to pay for." After that, the ball is in their court. If they keep up with the costs, you drop out and attend as guests. If they lower to something you can afford you stay in the wedding.

Just make sure you and your H are on the exact same page before you talk to them.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Definitely have a conversation with them about costs and budget, and definitely make sure you and your husband are on the same page and stand your ground together. If the bride/groom balk at these discussions, then say you can't wait to attend the wedding as a guest.

• Options

That's all to give you the background to the present. None of the back storry is really relevant to the issues at hand, as other PP's have mentioned.  I get that you were disappointed and hurt, but I think you need to separate those feelings from the current issue.  Flash forward, and we get together with them for the first time in around 6 months. They give us cards and gifts and we think it's just them being nice because it's the holidays. It turns out it's a big show of asking us to be in the bridal party. My husband immediately says yes, and I just awkwardly sat their. She sensed my hesitation, and assumed it was due to cost, knowing I'm a grad student. She said they'd keep things as budget-friendly as possible. I eventually said yes. I decided to just grin and bear it, as my husband was closer with the groom for a long time, and he seemed to want to do it. 

Ok, now it's time to practice saying "I'm sorry, but NO!"  NO is going to be your new mantra until this wedding is over.  I'm sorry, but no.

If the bride is requiring that you have specific shoes, then she needs to pay for them.  If she refuses and you have not already purchased the shoes, then don't do it.  Find a similar style and color in your closet or pay a similar style and color that you feel is more affordable. . . or borrow a similar pair from a friend if you can.  Do not tell the bride you are doing this, just do it.  On the day of the wedding, if she notices what shoes you are wearing as you walk down the aisle then she obviously isn't focusing on the right things, and at that point it's too late anyways!  You are walking down the aisle.

If she is requiring that you have your hair and makeup down by a person of her choosing, then she needs to pay for it.  If she refuses, then I'd wait until closer to the wedding day and cancel your appointment with her stylists.  If she finds out and says anything to you, apologize and say that it's jut not in your budget, you had discussed that with her previously, and that you will be responsible for having your hair and makeup done on your own.  Then change the subject.  She cannot spend your money w/o your consent.

You are not required to participate or pay for the bachlorette party or any other pre-wedding activities.  I would tell the MOH up front what your budget is that you can contribute, and do not let her invoice you after the fact.  Tell her "MOH, I'd be happy to contribute $50 to the bachlorette party," and if she claims that is not enough and you need to contribute more, you stand firm and say "I'm sorry, but I can only contribute $50.  I will not be giving you any more than that."  Then chancge the subject or stop the communication if by text/email.

At this point, I'm thinking of giving a set amount of money we can spend, and telling her we cannot spend more than that, and leaving it up to her where she wants to give (i.e.: not require hair/makeup, or a cheaper suit, or whatever she chooses). Yep, I think that is a good plan.  And when she starts freaking out, just calmly repeat 'I'm sorry, but X is our total budget for your wedding and we cannot spend a dollar more.  I was up front about our financial situation from the beginning, and you assured me it wouldn't be an issue."  Then change the subject or end the communication if by text/email.  And DO NOT purchase anything before you absolutely have to in case your Bride is a real peach and decides to kick you both out of her wedding party.  We literally cannot afford the costs they're proposing, and I'm unwilling to take on credit card debt or something to pay for these expenses, for a couple that didn't even send us a card.   Don't go into credit card debt for any wedding.  I'm not trying to be petty about the past- I don't want to do things out of bitterness, but it does effect my willingness to go above and beyond for them. I was going to separately address the bachelorette party with the MOH, but she's also proving to be difficult. I was going to go the same approach of giving a set amount I can afford.

To the highlighted- LURKERS- This is why we suggest you skip these showy, Pintrest-inspired wedding party "proposals."  It puts a lot of undue pressure on ppl to "say yes" on the spot, and they might not wish to be in your bridal party.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    NymeruNymeru member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Seriously.  Just put your foot down, explain your budget, and if she even begins to freak out, step down from being in her bridal party.  If she gets snarky at all, remind her that she, too, had to bow out of a wedding (yours) due to budget constraints.  Let her know that you don't want to have to do that and ask her what her solution is.
  • Options
    PPs have it covered, so I will just reiterate that there are indeed some good lessons for lurkers in this story!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    To respond to some people above- she had originally said it'd be around $100 for the dress and $130 for the suit. I said that was great, we were hoping to keep the cost of the suit/dress around $250 total, so we could afford the other things (she'd already mentioned wanting us to wear specific shoes but wanting us to pay for them, so I knew other costs were going to be factored in). She'd said that was fine, and worked well with what she had planned.That's why the suit being $250 alone was such a surprise, and then the dress being over the price she'd said. 
    Well, we talked things over and it looked like all was going to work out eventually. She at first said she was just going to pay for the hair and makeup. The next day she said I could do my own actually. Later that same day, she said actually me doing my own would ruin her photos with the other girls getting their done. At this point, I was getting very frustrated. I tried talking with her about different ways we can try to do the things they want us to do, but also stay in our budget, but she just seemed unhappy about everything. I told her if our budget constraints were causing issues, one or both of us could step down from being in the wedding party if she preferred, because we simply can't afford what she's requesting. She said absolutely not, she wants us both in the wedding and we'll make it work.  Then I received a text at midnight tonight saying she and her fiancé talked things over and they're fine with us not being in the wedding party because we "clearly aren't in the financial situation to be able to meet the expectations they have for their wedding party." So, guess that's over.
  • Options
    To respond to some people above- she had originally said it'd be around $100 for the dress and $130 for the suit. I said that was great, we were hoping to keep the cost of the suit/dress around $250 total, so we could afford the other things (she'd already mentioned wanting us to wear specific shoes but wanting us to pay for them, so I knew other costs were going to be factored in). She'd said that was fine, and worked well with what she had planned.That's why the suit being $250 alone was such a surprise, and then the dress being over the price she'd said. 
    Well, we talked things over and it looked like all was going to work out eventually. She at first said she was just going to pay for the hair and makeup. The next day she said I could do my own actually. Later that same day, she said actually me doing my own would ruin her photos with the other girls getting their done. At this point, I was getting very frustrated. I tried talking with her about different ways we can try to do the things they want us to do, but also stay in our budget, but she just seemed unhappy about everything. I told her if our budget constraints were causing issues, one or both of us could step down from being in the wedding party if she preferred, because we simply can't afford what she's requesting. She said absolutely not, she wants us both in the wedding and we'll make it work.  Then I received a text at midnight tonight saying she and her fiancé talked things over and they're fine with us not being in the wedding party because we "clearly aren't in the financial situation to be able to meet the expectations they have for their wedding party." So, guess that's over.
    What the fuck is that shit?! At this point I wouldn't even go. That's some bullshit right there. I understand having a vision for your wedding day but  you need to be accommodating for the people in your party. She's being a selfish, entitled brat. 
  • Options
    NymeruNymeru member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Yeah, she sounds like a doozy of a friend.  I'm glad you're off the hook, but ouch...that's some sort of selfishness right there.  If she's expecting a gigantic, ridiculous experience, you'd think she'd try to help you out if she really cared.
  • Options
    lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    If someone said this to me, I'd say, "Did you just call me ugly?" What the actual fuck.

These people are not your friends. Cut your losses and move on. Sorry you've been treated this way, OP.
  • Options
    Count yourself lucky that you and your H are out of this crazy mess.  These friends are shitty and you are better off without them.

• Options
    What shitty, shitty people.  I'm sorry you went through this.
  • Options
    OMG - What crappy friends.

I think you dodged a bullet. 

I probably wouldn't go to the wedding at this point. 
                                    Daisypath Wedding tickers

• Options
    I am so sorry this happened to you. It sounds like you handled it perfectly. Anyone who was worried about photos over friendship is someone you do not need in your life. It must be very hurtful, but know that they are 100% in the wrong about this. These people just proved again that they are not worthy of your friendship.

You and H should take that $250 and stay in a nice hotel or go out to a fancy meal to treat yourselves.

FWIW, Kate Middleton did her own makeup on her wedding day. I think her photos were just fine :)
  • Options
    Wow, I think you handled it very wonderfully because the expenses were more then you expected & you now have less income too. At this point, if you would have to travel for this wedding, I think I would really consider if the expense of the travel is worth it or are you better off just sending a card & taking the money you would have spent and treating yourselves to a great date night out where you live.
  • Options
    I sorry those people are being so awful to you. Professional makeup for photos should never be more important than having your nearest and dearest in the photos. It sounds like to them having wedding props are more important than having friends. Shame on them.
  • Options
    Good riddance to them!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Mean people suck. 

I'm sorry you were treated this way. I hope you can start to view this a sigh of relief at some point. Can you imagine stretching every penny to appease this nasty couple and they still make you feel like dirt? At least now you don't have to worry about it... Quite honestly, I'd skip the wedding and send a nice, but empty congratulations card.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    "To the lurkers" is such an absurd phrase, it kills me. By definition, people who lurk are people who regularly read a website, they just don't post. Why would someone who reads the knot regularly be unacquainted with the idea that the bride and groom should get a budget for their wedding parties before choosing attire? It gets brought up literally every day. You would have to be the worst/dumbest lurker in the world not to be familiar with that concept. There's no magic formula that the more you post here, the more you know about Weddings--in fact, I don't really think that correlation has proven true of any internet forum at any time in history.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    JFC, SMH!!!!

I think you dodged a bullet, but these ppl are Grade A, certified Assholes.

ETA: Ditto PPs, I'd decline this shitshow. . . if you are even invited.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    biggrouch said:
    "To the lurkers" is such an absurd phrase, it kills me. By definition, people who lurk are people who regularly read a website, they just don't post. Why would someone who reads the knot regularly be unacquainted with the idea that the bride and groom should get a budget for their wedding parties before choosing attire? It gets brought up literally every day. You would have to be the worst/dumbest lurker in the world not to be familiar with that concept. There's no magic formula that the more you post here, the more you know about Weddings--in fact, I don't really think that correlation has proven true of any internet forum at any time in history.
    It's used when we are trying to point something out that isn't directed at the OP.

And you'd be surprised at the posts by ppl who claim they were lurking and that this is their 1st post. . . because many prove that they clearly didn't lurk long enough or comprehend what has been stated over and over.

• Options
    biggrouch said:
    It's used when we are trying to point something out that isn't directed at the OP.

And you'd be surprised at the posts by ppl who claim they were lurking and that this is their 1st post. . . because many prove that they clearly didn't lurk long enough or comprehend what has been stated over and over.
    Hahaha OK that is true. I guess the big difference between lurkers with low reading comprehension and posters with low reading comprehension is that actual posters who don't understand Knot gospel are usually put to rights, or chased away, lickety-split.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards