Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

Changed our First Dance song!

Well I thought we had the perfect first dance chosen, and we were both in agreement that Kenny Chesney You Save Me would be amazing to dance to.....and then my FI hit me with "what about 'Nothing Else Matters' by Metallica?" OMG I absolutely LOVE this idea!! I love all different kinds of music but never gave any thought to choosing a song by a rock band. Every time it comes on my IPod in the car I have to smile because it's such a perfect fit :-D ... and the best part is NO ONE will expect it. Everyone knows I'm partial to country, especially Kenny, Carrie, Shaniah....so any brides who are into rock and can't quite get the right song ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAGnKpE4NCI  give it a listen and see what you think, I was sold by the first verse!

Re: Changed our First Dance song!

• Options
    I have friends that used this- it's been their song since they were in high school. It was unexpected and it worked really well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Did the DJ cut it short? I know it's a very long song, but we really don't want to cut it short and want to stress to our DJ that it's our first dance and we want the whole song played. I've heard that sometimes the DJ will make the decision to nix the end of a long song or try to start it late to shorten it for the guests, our wedding will be small with very close friends and family only, so approx 75 people max. I'm certain no one will mind watching our first dance even though it is almost 8 min long.
  • Options

Did the DJ cut it short? I know it's a very long song, but we really don't want to cut it short and want to stress to our DJ that it's our first dance and we want the whole song played. I've heard that sometimes the DJ will make the decision to nix the end of a long song or try to start it late to shorten it for the guests, our wedding will be small with very close friends and family only, so approx 75 people max. I'm certain no one will mind watching our first dance even though it is almost 8 min long.
    I would definitely cut it down!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I love this song. Even so, I would def mind as 8 minutes is a long time to stare at the same thing. You can't be for certain your guests won't get bored past the 3-minute mark. This one posted is just over 6 minutes, the last bit can certainly fade out and guests will commence clapping. If you choose to dance to this song, make it entertaining for your guests by doing more than just swaying side to side. Do nice spins and long steps during the chorus, something that helps you cover more of the dance floor. I think this would help it feel not as long.
  • Options
    We planned on taking some dance lessons, there is a place not too far from where we live that offers discount sessions to engaged couples so we can wow our guests without going completely choreographed. Of course, Metallica is known for long intros outros and guitar solos...so we are trying to figure out if maybe we can begin the song at the 30 second mark and maybe fade out starting around 5 min when the guitar solo gets intense. We're trying to find a compromise that doesn't ruin the song. We may just end up scrapping the idea of a first dance all together, so no one has to sit through it since it's a small wedding anyway. Most of our guests don't enjoy country music, which is what I like, so we nixed the original song in favor of this one.
  • Options
    We are thinking of using it to, but I lean towards this version to dress it up for the wedding. As another option

• Options
    Thank you for the suggestion! It falls within what I assume is "acceptable" length... We are just so torn with trying to choose a meaningful song to both of us, that will not bore our guests, but will define our relationship from the beginning up to this point as well as the future. We landed on "Nothing Else Matters" because everyone who is close to us will understand the meaning to us as a couple behind the lyrics and we are looking to catch them off guard with a non-traditional song. We are typically fun-loving and easy-going, and the rest of the "play list" reflects that. By no means are we excluding other music, we just have some fun songs that are "must plays" that have hit memorable moments throughout our relationship that include the entire family. The comment I posted previously about scrapping the idea came at a moment when my FI and I were hearing everyone around us, and we were guilty of it too, complain about an upcoming wedding of one of our close friends. The whole situation does not sit well with many of the guests, but only my FI has been brave enough to say what he sees. We kind of thought "oh wow, we don't want anyone to think this about OUR wedding!" I appreciate everyone's input and suggestions, and we are still stuck on this song, even at 6+ min lol!
  • Options
    Honestly, DJs are able to shorten a song so that it's not like 8 minutes long but they do it in a way so that the song will not.lose it's integrity :) I would speak to them about this.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards