Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Table decor

We are not serving dinner at our reception since the ceremony is at 7PM and I don't know how to dress the tables... All the beautiful reception pictures I am looking at have plates, glasses, silverware, etc on the tables. 

I have small centerpieces (vases painted in light turquoise with orange flowers) and guests will have little boxes at their place. (They will be invited to fill them with desserts from the dessert buffet).I don't know what else to put on the tables so they don't look empty. What I am thinking to do is to buy fabric in bulk and make table linens and table runners... 

Do you have any ideas? 

Re: Table decor

• Options
    janikim said:
    We are not serving dinner at our reception since the ceremony is at 7PM and I don't know how to dress the tables... All the beautiful reception pictures I am looking at have plates, glasses, silverware, etc on the tables. 

I have small centerpieces (vases painted in light turquoise with orange flowers) and guests will have little boxes at their place. (They will be invited to fill them with desserts from the dessert buffet).I don't know what else to put on the tables so they don't look empty. What I am thinking to do is to buy fabric in bulk and make table linens and table runners... 

Do you have any ideas? 
    Just curious, what are you serving?  7pm is a meal time.....you need to provide dinner.
  • Options
    JoanE2012 said:
    janikim said:

Do you have any ideas? 
    Just curious, what are you serving?  7pm is a meal time.....you need to provide dinner.
    I agree.  That means people leaving for the ceremony between 6 and 6:30, possibly earlier depending on where they are coming from.  Which means they start getting ready sometime between 4 and 5.  So they'll probably have a late lunch around 3, which puts them at 4 hours without eating at the start of your ceremony.  Also, if I came in and saw actual banquet tables I would be expecting dinner and be very confused about where it was.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ditto PPs about dinner. What are you serving at that time, then, if not dinner?

As for the table decor, you could do a table runner to give the tables more going on, like you were thinking. I like that idea. I wouldn't over think it, though. Our reception was a buffet, and the plates were not on the tables. I didn't worry about it. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Where we come from (small town in New-Brunswick, Canada), people don't serve dinner at wedding receptions, unless the ceremony is around 4 PM. I can't recall going to any of my cousins' weddings and being provided dinner. We know people will be hungry, so we are planning to have a "snack buffet" (chips, veggies, hors-d'oeuvres) before we cut the cake. 

I guess we could put the small plates on the tables instead of putting them in a pile beside the snacks...
  • Options

You could put chargers on the tables and place the boxes for the dessert buffet on top of them to get the table a more set look

• Options
    janikim said:
    Where we come from (small town in New-Brunswick, Canada), people don't serve dinner at wedding receptions, unless the ceremony is around 4 PM. I can't recall going to any of my cousins' weddings and being provided dinner. We know people will be hungry, so we are planning to have a "snack buffet" (chips, veggies, hors-d'oeuvres) before we cut the cake. 

I guess we could put the small plates on the tables instead of putting them in a pile beside the snacks...
    This isn't a Canadian thing.. come to small town Saskatchewan, we will feed you!!!

(I can't imagine a dinner-less reception, as I have never been to one)
  • Options
    I understand it would be hard to understand if you have never been to one... I am actually a bit sad that we don't serve dinner but on the other hand, it lowers the total cost a lot! I am not saying it is a Canadian thing. I am just saying that where we come from, it is unusual to provide dinner... To give you an idea, our families will be expecting a couple bowls of chips and a cash bar so I think they will be pleased with the snack station and dessert buffet!

ashmag89 said:

You could put chargers on the tables and place the boxes for the dessert buffet on top of them to get the table a more set look

Thank your for your suggestion! It is a great idea!
  • Options
  • Options
    You must serve dinner. Hunger is not a regional thing. Just because others were rude and inconsiderate doesn't mean you should be.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    janikim said:
    I understand it would be hard to understand if you have never been to one... I am actually a bit sad that we don't serve dinner but on the other hand, it lowers the total cost a lot! I am not saying it is a Canadian thing. I am just saying that where we come from, it is unusual to provide dinner... To give you an idea, our families will be expecting a couple bowls of chips and a cash bar so I think they will be pleased with the snack station and dessert buffet!

ashmag89 said:

Thank your for your suggestion! It is a great idea!
    Personally, I find it very strange your families do not serve dinner at evening receptions but I'm not going to say you HAVE to have one because it's not my wedding. I highly recommend having some food. It doesn't have to be a sit down thing but I think something filling would be nice. Besides, if you're sad about it then go against the grain and have dinner. 

• Options
    I feel like your ceremony needs to start around 7:30...preferably 8 for this to work. I'm attending a wedding this month that starts at 7 and I'm 99% positive I'm getting fed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards