Massachusetts-Boston

Restaurant reception

We're planning to have our mid-September reception dinner in a restaurant (either renting a private room, or buying out the whole place for the evening) for about 50 guests. Ideally, it would be a venue that has some open space for dancing and mingling, and allows us to play our own music. We have a flexible budget, but the more affordable the better. Decor needn't be super fancy, but we'd like something classy. Recommendations in the Boston area? 

We're not huge fans of old-fashioned American food -- we prefer ethnic or contemporary American. Many of our guests (and I) are vegetarian, so we're staying away from very meaty places.

I would particularly love to hear from those of you who had your reception in a restaurant. We're considering going that route because traditional wedding venues in Boston are too damn expensive, and we don't have the time or manpower to plan a DIY outdoor wedding. What are the potential downsides to doing it in a restaurant?

Re: Restaurant reception

• I didn't have mine here, but check out the elephant walk :) Great for vegetarians, "ethnic," (african-french fusion) and I am pretty sure they do weddings.  Good luck!
  • We had our reception at the Skywalk Observatory at the Prudential, which is catered by Top of the Hub.  They do serve more American type food, though (steak, fish, they do have vegetarian options but if I remember correctly there are only 1 or 2).  Also, we didn't have dancing, so I don't know if they can or can't do a dance floor (we didn't want one).  We played our own music.  They charge a base amount to use the space (not super expensive), and then there is a food minimum (which was easy to meet with 50 guests).  I'm not sure if it's really what you're looking for, but feel free to ask me more specific questions if you have them.

You can look on Open Table and see what restaurants in the Boston area rent private space and how many people the space can accommodate, but you do have to contact them all individually to ask about the cost of renting the space.
  • Check out Tapeo on Newbury Street.
  • If you're on the south shore, I had friends who got married at Benjamins in Taunton and it was quite nice
  • Sounds very similar to what I'm trying to plan, minus the flexible budget part. I haven't had much luck finding a place where there's enough room for a dj unless you do a complete restaurant buy out. 

Have you had anymore luck?
  • I had my reception at Tapeo on Newbury St.  Happy to share details if you are interested.
    Yay! Finally able to update my signature :)
    by Shannon Sorensen Photography
    My hubby & I rock the frock.
    Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards