Honeymoon Discussions

Scotland

Has anyone been? DH is planning a trip for late September I believe. He wants to check out the golf scene and some distilleries. What else is fun to do there, as neither of those is really my cup of tea for more than a day or so? We have no problem doing different activities during the day, so even something I can maybe do/see while he is golfing and tasting.

Re: Scotland

• Where are you going and how long do you have? 

Edinburgh is beautiful. Check out Edinburgh castle. Also, Scotland has great seafood, so book into some good restaurants. Also it has great Museums- in Glasgow the Kelvingrove is great, as is the Hunterian. In Edinburgh any of the National Museums are great. 

It would be worth hiring a car and driving up to Stirling/ St Andrews if you like history. If you want to go further afield, Loch Lomond is beautiful, as is the inner Hebrides if you really want to make a further trip. The Hebrides is one of my favourite places in the UK- check out Tobermory, a really beautiful fishing town with great pubs and great hikes.

Late September will be rainy and cool (as always) so pack the rain gear. 
  • I love Edinburgh, everything on the Royal Mile is great to check out, as well as hiking up Arthur's Seat. I am not a big church fan, but taking the local bus out to Roslyn Chapel (it's about 20 minutes outside the city from what I remember) is absolutely worth it. It's a Masonic chapel and the carvings/artistry inside is insane, as well as all the "mysteries."

On my last trip we stayed in Stirling for two nights, and Inverness for two nights as well. In Stirling we went to the castle and checked out the town, and then one day we rented a car to drive around the Lochs. We also went pony trekking which was great. The driving is a bit of a challenge but it wasn't too bad. The landscapes are absolutely wonderful.

In Inverness we went to castle Urqhart and also took a full day mini bus trip to Skye. It was sadly pretty cloudy the day we went, but still really enjoyable. 
  • kla728kla728 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I only got to spend a day in Edinburgh and a day in Glasgow. It was raining in Glasgow, and we weren't super impressed. Edinburgh is GORGEOUS though, and a very walkable city. Definitely explore the castle. If breweries aren't your thing but drinking is, you can do the Seven Deadly Sins challenge at this bar called Jekyl & Hyde. They have cocktails named after all 7 and if you finish them all, you win a shirt. Its not like it is an amazing shirt, it just makes for an awesome story and most of the drinks are good as I recall. I did this coming up on 6 years ago but it looks like they recently posted about it on their FB so they must still do it! It is also a very unique and fun bar. https://www.facebook.com/jekyll.and.hyde.edinburgh
  • WE LOVE SCOTLAND!  We did a 3 week European Tour for our honeymoon last October/November and Scotland was one of our FAVORITES. We visited Glasgow and then rented a car to drive out to a ferry to Islay and stayed for 3 days there.  It was quaint and quiet which was exactly what we needed after London!  We went to a bunch of distilleries (Lagavullin was our favorite with Laphroiag being a close second - but DH LOVES peaty scotch).  After that we came back to the mainland and drove down the western cost with a stop in Maidens to visit a friend of mine - before we drove to a ferry to go to Belfast.  Overall it was absolutely fantastic and our next European vacation (who knows when) is going to be to Scotland again!  Also - when we win the lottery we plan to buy land on Islay ;).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards