Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Transportation question

I'm getting married in December (12/21) so I'm about 6 months out. A lot of the planners I've been reading say to work out transportation right about now, but I'm seriously confused about how to do it. The ceremony and reception are in the same place, which is a renovated old chapel with reception hall attached. So, it's just a matter of going through a hallway to get from ceremony to reception. Here's our (rough draft) schedule:

Hair/makeup appointments: 10am-12:30pm
Travel from appointment to venue: 12:30-1pm
Dressing: 1-1:30pm
Photos: 1:30-2:30pm
Ceremony: 3pm-4(?) I'm including time for receiving line and everything too
Reception: 4-9pm

After the reception my new hubby and I will have 2 nights in a hotel that is 10-15mins away from the venue.

Lots of limo places are at LEAST $100/hour and from what I've seen you rent them by the day, not half an hour here and half an hour there. So, if you go from traveling from the appointments to the venue (1/2 hour) to getting to our hotel, you're talking 9 hours of limo time (=$900) for 45 minutes worth of travel. I'm starting to think this is really unnecessary but there also may be something I'm missing...? Help, ladies?

Re: Transportation question

• Options
    We only had the limo take the women from the hair/makeup to the ceremony, and then took me & DH from ceremony to reception.  The limo companies I researched had a 4 hour minimum, and we only used them for 4 hours.  DH and I drove his car from the reception to our hotel. 
  • Options
    Our ceremony/reception was in the same place.  I drove my car from the hair appt to the venue and then DH and I drove to the hotel afterwards in my car (he got a lift from a groomsman earlier in the day so we only had one car).  We saw no need to rent limos and put that money elsewhere.
  • Options
    If you are getting dressed at the venue, there really is no reason to hire a limo. Drive yourself, carpool with the girls, take a taxi! But don't waste big bucks on a limo that you really don't need.
  • Options
    Save your money.  

Option A: Drive yourself to the salon and then to the venue. Have your FI get a ride to the venue then you take your car to the hotel.

Option B: Get a ride to the salon and then the venue.  Your FI drives himself to the venue and you take his car to the hotel.

Option C: Drive yourself to the salon and then the venue.  Your FI drives himself to the venue.  You take one car to the hotel and get someone to drive the other car home for you.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We didn't do a limo. DH drove himself to the venue and I carpooled with my best friend. Another friend drove us back at the end of the night.
  • Options
    I thought I was leaning in the right direction with that one, but I just wanted to make sure. I'm thinking we may do something like you did, emmyg65. I at least need to check with whoever I'm carpooling with to make sure that's ok. Thanks, everyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards