Wedding Party

manicure as a bridesmaid

hello all,

I am in a wedding next week and we have manicure appointments at one place and pedicure appointments at another.  I am in the military and cannot wear anythng other then clear polish.  Would it be rude to just get a polish?  I cannot see paying $40 for something I can wear at most 3 days.

Re: manicure as a bridesmaid

• Wait you have to go to two different places for a manicure and a pedicure? That alone is dumb. Second, if you don't want to go then don't. But if it were me I would skip the manicure and just go and get a pedicure because they typically rub your feet a bit and I love that. But like PP said, if the bride is requiring this and you are having to foot the bill tell her "sorry but I will just do my own."

• You should be able to do whatever you want to your own nails unless the bride is a lunatic who is dictating what you do with your own nails.
  • If you are required to get a manicure for the wedding, then the bride needs to pay. So you shouldn't worry about spending money and taking it off the next day. But even if you didn't want a colour, a nail buff or clear polish should be just fine. Sometimes I think it look betters, too!
  • thank you!  She wants us all to go, but I think that people are starting to back out of it.  She seemed upset by that.  She presented it as optional to go with her, but she wants everyone to have the mani/pedi somewhere, natural nails are not an option. 

Since I am paring I will take everyone's opinion and just get the polish.  THANKS!

On a side note, I am getting married in October, is it ok to say that either natural or a specific color?  I know that not everyone has the $$ to do a full fledge mani option.

• we are going to 2 seperate places because the mani is where the bride always goes, but apprently they charge way to much for a pedi.

• thank you!  She wants us all to go, but I think that people are starting to back out of it.  She seemed upset by that.  She presented it as optional to go with her, but she wants everyone to have the mani/pedi somewhere, natural nails are not an option. 

Since I am paring I will take everyone's opinion and just get the polish.  THANKS!

On a side note, I am getting married in October, is it ok to say that either natural or a specific color?  I know that not everyone has the $$ to do a full fledge mani option.

Yeah I wouldn't even discuss nail color.  That is such a small detail that no one cares about.

• No one should be dictating the nail color of their BMs. This is totally ridiculous. 

I didn't demand that my girls get their nails done but I did ask them that if they do decide to wear nailpolish to please pick a color that went with the dress color which was a dark brown and no neon colors. I figured that left it open for a huge range of colors for them to pick from. My girls had all picked the same dress and I wanted their personalities to show through so I figured letting them pick their own nail color, hair style and shoes was a good way to do that. I did buy them their jewelry because I wanted them to all have the same basic style (white blinged out evening wear) but each got a pair of earrings/necklace/bracelet that was different & fit their personal style. So they matched but were different at the same time.
  • 1) you don't need to get your nails done at all. She can't force you to get a mani or pedi.. that's ridiculous. If you want to go just to be part of the group, just attend and chat while everyone gets their stuff done. 

2) when you're a bride, remember how this felt - just say no to forcing BMs to do any of this stuff. 

FWIW, I have no idea what color my BMs fingernails and toenails were. If a bride is preoccupied with that on her wedding day, she's not doing the wedding thing right.
    *********************************************************************************

• Yea, don't worry about your BM's nails. One of my friends recently got married. She posted on FB that she got her pedi done THREE times the day before the wedding because they "couldn't get it right." I have NO IDEA what her nails or feet looked like that day. Let alone anyone in her bridal party.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• pinkcow13 said:
    Yea, don't worry about your BM's nails. One of my friends recently got married. She posted on FB that she got her pedi done THREE times the day before the wedding because they "couldn't get it right." I have NO IDEA what her nails or feet looked like that day. Let alone anyone in her bridal party.
    Holy shit, really?  No one even sees your feet!  I don't even remember what color my nails were...maybe a light pink? I do remember my toes because I loved the color (a pretty purple) and I had a flower placed on each big toe nail and I was sad when I finally had to take the polish off.

My one friend freaked out about her nails for her wedding.  She had rhinestones added to the tips and I don't know how many times the girl had to take the rhinestones off and put them back on so that they were just right.  She kept asking me what I thought and I kept saying "oh it looks great" when in fact I didn't like the look at all.

• pinkcow13 said:
    Yea, don't worry about your BM's nails. One of my friends recently got married. She posted on FB that she got her pedi done THREE times the day before the wedding because they "couldn't get it right." I have NO IDEA what her nails or feet looked like that day. Let alone anyone in her bridal party.
    Holy shit, really?  No one even sees your feet!  I don't even remember what color my nails were...maybe a light pink? I do remember my toes because I loved the color (a pretty purple) and I had a flower placed on each big toe nail and I was sad when I finally had to take the polish off.

My one friend freaked out about her nails for her wedding.  She had rhinestones added to the tips and I don't know how many times the girl had to take the rhinestones off and put them back on so that they were just right.  She kept asking me what I thought and I kept saying "oh it looks great" when in fact I didn't like the look at all.
    Yea, this girl can be really particular about things. She was also bit of a bridezilla. I remember I wanted to make it a point to check out her nails to see what was so amazing about them. Instead I ended up eating, dancing, admiring her dress, and having a great time to remember her nails. 

Your wedding toes sound lovely! I am definitely not doing anything crazy like rhinestones for my wedding. I plan on a pretty pink, or a french mani, and calling it a day. My bridesmaids can do whatever they want with their nails and feet.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• pinkcow13 said:
    pinkcow13 said:

Yea, this girl can be really particular about things. She was also bit of a bridezilla. I remember I wanted to make it a point to check out her nails to see what was so amazing about them. Instead I ended up eating, dancing, admiring her dress, and having a great time to remember her nails. 

Your wedding toes sound lovely! I am definitely not doing anything crazy like rhinestones for my wedding. I plan on a pretty pink, or a french mani, and calling it a day. My bridesmaids can do whatever they want with their nails and feet.
    I think simple is always better when it comes to your fingernails.  If you do anything too crazy then they kind of can stick out like a sore thumb.  It was all I could do not to pick at my nails after I got them done.  I hate nail polish on my fingers (except clear) because it just feels so heavy and hot so I tend to pick at it.  On the plane ride for our HM two days after the wedding all the polish was gone.

•  she wants everyone to have the mani/pedi somewhere, natural nails are not an option. 

LOL what?!  This is crazy times. 
  • pinkcow13 said:
    pinkcow13 said:

I think simple is always better when it comes to your fingernails.  If you do anything too crazy then they kind of can stick out like a sore thumb.  It was all I could do not to pick at my nails after I got them done.  I hate nail polish on my fingers (except clear) because it just feels so heavy and hot so I tend to pick at it.  On the plane ride for our HM two days after the wedding all the polish was gone.

SITB

The most I do is a "party finger" as I call it - I paint my 4th nail on my left hand a different color, or add a design - I do my own nails now so I experiment. I tend to be terrible though, because once my nails start chipping, I just pick at them for days, until the polish is gone. I do prefer lighter, simpler colors because I just don't have the patience to maintain crazy nails. 
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

If you can't wear polish because of your profession, I'd tell the bride that, decline the trip and the waste of money, and just paint my own nails with clear polish myself.

If she has a hiss she can eff off, frankly.

Don't dictate the nail color choices of your own BM's. . .no one will notice or care what color their nails are.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• edited July 2014
    Okay, I have actually worn matching nail polish before, but only because it was an individual decision by each bridesmaid, and we did our own. My cousin got married in December and gave us a bottle of red polish to demonstrate the shade she wanted for shoes to wear with our navy dresses. We all wound up opting to paint our nails with it even though she never requested us to and in fact assured us at the salon getting ready (as several were painting) that it wasn't necessary.

ETA: Tell the bride you're not getting the manicure but you're in for the pedicure (if you would like to do so)
  • My friend was just married on Saturday and I was a BM.  Three days before the wedding, I got my mani/pedi.  The bride didn't dictate the color at all.  The day before the wedding, my entire index finger paint chipped off my left hand.  Then on the wedding day, my other index finger's paint chipped off.  I don't even think the bride noticed at all.  Please don't dictate nail color!
  • I'm only getting a pedicure before the wedding so my feet are beach ready on the honeymoon.. I couldn't possibly care less if my girls have polished, natural, chipped..hang nails.. whatever.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards