Attire & Accessories Forum

I think I chose the wrong dress - and my wedding is in 6 weeks

I just had my second fitting and burst into tears on the way home. It's a beautiful dress but it's very uncomfortable and I don't feel like myself. The fact that the lace of my straps makes my skin bright red certainly didn't help - the seamstress says she can't do anything. I really want to love it, but I just don't. Do I suck it up because it's already paid for, or do I pay my parents back and start hunting for something off the rack? I've waited a long time for this day - I'm an over 40 first time bride - and I want to feel beautiful. Has anyone else had dress remorse? Any advice?

Re: I think I chose the wrong dress - and my wedding is in 6 weeks

• doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Your seamstress can't line the straps somehow, like add material underneath the lace so that it doesn't irritate your skin? Or what about buying a separate piece that you would wear underneath your dress?  Example: http://sophiatolli.com/bridal-accessories/y213bodysuit/?fc=
    Any other particular issues?
  • If you truly don't like the dress, you could buy something off the rack. It wouldn't hurt to visit a few bridal shops and ask what they have in stock in your size. You still have time to get alterations, so don't worry about that. 

You'll just need to crunch the numbers and figure out if you can afford it. I would plan to pay your parents back if you don't wear the dress they bought for you.

If you end up needing to keep the dress: strapless dresses are very popular these days, so is there any way the seamstress could remove the irritating straps all together?
    *********************************************************************************

• I think dress remorse is pretty common. Dress remorse at 6 weeks out is kind of scary but noy the end of the world.

Before you give up on it all together think about what made you choose it in the first place. What did you love about the dress? Has anything changed? As far as the straps I'm sure there is a way to make them less irritating. Lining them with silk or satin. Removing them all together. Wearing some sort of chaffing creme might help even.

If nothing makes you want to keep it it doesn't hurt to look for an off the rack dress. Six weeks still gives you a little bit if time.
  • Do you have any pictures of the dress?  Could you check with another seamstress about what options you have??

It might be worth looking for something off the rack if you truly don't love the dress.

Anniversary
  • At my second fitting, the tailor promised to fix the pleating on the bust of my dress.  I showed up for the third, and they hadn't.  Everything actually looked worse than before because it was half done and crooked.  I almost went dress shopping--my dress, which I had spent a fortune on--looked terrible.  But at the fourth and fifth fittings, the tailor figured out how to fix the pleating and things ended up okay.  I'll never be completely happy with how the pleats laid on the back...  I don't think the tailor at the dress shop was particularly good, but I got the alterations free since I bought the gown the weekend the boutique opened.  I could've spent more but had more peace of mind if I took the gown to another tailor for a second opinion.  Consider letting someone else take a look.  And do a self-check...are you anxious for another reason?  The fact the wedding is close?  Because planning is stressing you out?  Evaluate whether you have other frustrations and the dress is where you're taking them out.
  • Thanks for the great advice! Turns out there us nothing they can do to not make my skin turn red, so I made the decision to get another dress - off the rack, minimal alterations and much more "me". My parents were very understanding and all is well. Everything happens for a reason - I'll be a happy bride, and hopefully my unworn dress will be THE dress for someone else!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards