Wedding Party

2 Dad's.....who gets the honor?

This will be my second marriage. My first wedding my biological father walked me down the aisle and gave me away even though he wasn't the best father growing up and he and my mom divorced when I was 12 and he moved to another state and got re-married. We stayed in touch through facebook and phone calls every now and then but aren't very close. My mom re-married and I have known my step-dad since I was a kid. Me and my step-dad are closer than I am with my biological father right now. I don't know what to do. I want them both to be a part of my wedding but who gets the honor of walking me down the aisle and who gets the honor of giving me away? Should I do 2 separate father/daughter dances or should I have 1 song and have half with both. I don't want to regret that my biological father didn't give me away but my step-dad is the one who has been there for me through everything for the past 8 years. HELP!!!

Re: 2 Dad's.....who gets the honor?

• Do they get along well enough to have them both do it, one on each arm? Or would anyone rage if you walked yourself down the aisle rather than choosing one of them? You don't have to have anyone give you away.

You can have as many or as few spotlight dances as you want. You could split a song with each of them, or skip it altogether.

• When my cousin got married she had he step father walk her in the doors and 1/2 way down the aisle where her bio father met them and finished walking her down the aisle.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You have a few choices:

1) you choose one or the other --> could cause drama
    2) you walk by yourself
    3) you walk with both of them --> they'd need to both be cool with this. If they're not, I vote option 2.

You don't have to do "the give away" at all. I didn't - both my parents walked with me, we hugged/kissed when we got to the altar and then they sat down. Maybe that'd be less awkward if you choose option 3.
    *********************************************************************************

• Wow, thank you ladies. I never thought about the option of no one giving me away. That might be a good option. Have them both walk me down the aisle but no one give me away.

As for the dance, maybe split one song'......

Thank you!

• I wouldn't split one song. I would choose two different songs. Either choose the songs with each respective dad, or ask them to each choose a song and surprise you at the reception. They can each tell the DJ/Band, so therefore ensuring they don't each pick the same song.
  • Also, if you're worried about too many spotlight dances but want to do a song with each father, you could easily do a separate song for each.  Start the songs by dancing together with either your dad/stepdad, then have the DJ invite others to the floor with you a minute or so in.  
  • Just an idea: You walk yourself down the isle (especially being a second marriage, I would doubt anyone would think its out of place). All eyes on just you would be kind of nice. When you get to the end, both fathers and your mother stand up to give you away and give you hugs. 

I suggest not splitting a song. I would give each their own unique song that reflects your relationship with each of them. You don't even have to do them back to back. Maybe even put the mother-son dance in between.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards