Not Engaged Yet
Options

WR: Lots of unexpected checks

We've got a venue and a photographer (well, almost) now! It all happened sooner than planned, but apparently venues and photographers are already booking into December 2015 in my area. WTF? Anywho, we found a historic home in a small-ish suburb nearby for a fantastic, can't-be-beat rate. It's absolutely beautiful and includes almost all the things! It comes with buffet dinner, choice of DJ, tables, chairs, linens, centerpieces, and a bartender. Plus the owner acts as DOC too. Super excited. The official date is October 30, 2015. 

I also found a photographer at the bridal show I went to, and we're in the process of booking him. His pictures were stunning, and his prices were really reasonable. I actually found 3 photographers that I really liked there, and FI and I sat down and looked at their online portfolios and had a tough time figuring out who to contact. At least I know if this guy falls through, I have solid alternatives. He told me at the show that the wedding date was open, although October 2015 was already booking up quickly. Apparently October is the busiest month for weddings in Texas... who knew? Anyway, he's going to call me at 9am tomorrow to discuss all the details. 

There was also a dress boutique at the show with these beautiful dresses that my mom and I both loved. We asked what the rate was for one of their beaded lace gowns, and she was like, "Oh, it's on the higher end. Probably around $1000?" My jaw dropped. That's so inexpensive (in my opinion), especially for a dress like that. We went ahead and booked an appointment there for a Saturday in October. It's a little early for dress shopping, but I figured it gives me some short-term fitness motivation. I don't think I'll schedule any other dress appointments until after the holidays... we were both just so mesmerized by the dress. lol.

All in all, a pretty great weekend, despite the food poisoning on Friday. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: WR: Lots of unexpected checks

• Options
    lilacck28lilacck28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2014
    Just make sure the contracts cover things like what happens in the case of a bad storm, or some other type of catastrophe (for venue and photographer), if the photographer gets sick, etc. But YAY! checking things off the list feels so great! 
  • Options
    ps- I will be expecting some dress pictures!
  • Options
    Dress pics?

Glad you had such a productive weekend!
  • Options
    None yet! Appointment is in the fall, which gives me some time to hit the gym. I stupidly forgot to take a picture of the dress too. The show was so overwhelming lol. 

• Options
    YAY for everything falling into place!!

You could always email the shop and ask about the dress.  That's what I ended up doing with my dress - I saw it at a show and wrote the dress shop that had it on display and asked them.

Anniversary
  • Options

You have a date aaagggghhhhhh! That's so awesome! I'm glad stuff is getting done. :)

• Options
    Yay congrats for checking off some major items and setting the date!

Anniversary

• Options
    Yay! Sounds like everything is coming together for you. :D

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

LOL, who knew, right??

And YAY, that's my bday! 

I saw a billboard for a bridal show while I was visiting my location upstate this weekend, but unfortunately it's in 2 weeks when we have to be in Delaware for a wedding.  I also just heard of someone who won $20k towards their wedding at a bridal show, so I'm itching to go and give out alllllll my personal info to try to save a few bucks :-P

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Kelani23 said:

LOL, who knew, right??

And YAY, that's my bday! 

I saw a billboard for a bridal show while I was visiting my location upstate this weekend, but unfortunately it's in 2 weeks when we have to be in Delaware for a wedding.  I also just heard of someone who won $20k towards their wedding at a bridal show, so I'm itching to go and give out alllllll my personal info to try to save a few bucks :-P

Have fun getting 10000000000000000000000000000000000 emails.
  • Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

Kelani23 said:

LOL, who knew, right??

And YAY, that's my bday! 

Have fun getting 10000000000000000000000000000000000 emails.
    Everything she said. Seriously, going to a bridal show was the stupidest WR decision I've made to date.  I didn't even give out my email address and phone number to the vendors (except when I signed up, also dumb) and I am STILL getting stupid emails. I just want them to STOP! It was a huge waste of time and energy.

• Options

I made a different email, although now I kinda like it and may not want to throw it away afterwards!

It can't be worse than all the Knot spamming that came directly to my mailbox and I'm sure confused my roommate!  None of that was even useful, since I'm not getting married in my home area :-P

• Options

Yay, glad to hear you're getting things checked off! We booked our reception venue right away because things usually book at least a year in advance in Toronto (ridiculous), and we did our photograph as soon as we had a wedding date.

I want dress pics when you get them! Anything online that looks like what you have in mind?

I think my mom and sister (MOH) and I will go to a wedding show in the fall...and I'm seriously considering making an email address to use because I know it will be ALL spam ALL the time. But I feel like a show will be a decent opportunity to look for vendors that we don't have booked by the end of the summer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

I still use the one I made for my last wedding when I need a "spare" email for whatever reason! lol

mynamex'sname6-7-08 FOR LIFE!

• Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    @TwoDimes Even without the spam, it was still a waste of time. I'm sure (and I hope!) it's different in other areas...but the ones in Atlanta are just filled with sub-par vendors offering "deals" for shitty product. I only saw one set up that I got something out of and it was a large blocked off area shown by a dress shop and tux shop who had set up different table scapes representing different themes and dresses/tuxes that fit the different "visions".

• Options
    FI created a wedding email address, so they can spam away lol. There were some not-so-great vendors there, and some that I really clicked with. I wish they'd had more florists there though. I think the majority were photographers/photo booths, then catering, then bakeries, then DJs, then dresses, and a bunch of random vendors like dentists and fitness programs. I think I saw one florist and like two MUA. But yeah, overall I enjoyed it. It was a fun experience. Free food, free cake, and a cash bar helped too. 

The photographer we're going with isn't listed on Wedding Wire, which is why I'd never heard of him. His prices are really reasonable though, and his pictures are breathtaking. HERE is his portfolio. The other photographer I really liked is HERE, but her gallery is down for maintenance. She had some stuff on Wedding Wire HERE, but the first photographer's portraits are what won me over. What do y'all think?

As for dresses... since I'm so short ("petite" as my mom likes to say), I don't want anything that poofs out. The dress would basically wear me if I did a ball gown or something like that. I'm really digging dresses like this:

Or something similar but with no straps. Basically lace with no poof. 

• Options

I've heard mixed reviews of wedding shows in Toronto, but a friend of mine found her DJ and photographer at a wedding show and they were both great so I'm somewhat hopeful. And even if I find no one I think it'll be fun to look at pretty stuff and get some ideas.

@eilis1228 - I LOVE that first dress, it's beautiful! Then again, I'm really partial to lace dresses ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Yay for getting a lot of wedding checks out of the way! I like your photographer's portfolio a lot! I think you'll get some great pictures with him!

Also, I love the lace dresses you posted. I'm petite too (5 feet even) and I know I probably can't do poofy when the time comes but I kind of really want to.

• Options
    @lmcooper86 I didn't honestly expect to find so much there. I wasn't sure what to expect, but we definitely weren't planning on any WR decisions until the fall. There were tons of great venues and photographers, and all the caterers and bakeries were really good too. Plus the cash bar was a nice touch. My mom, cousin, and I sipped on mimosas and ate free food while "wedding planning." It was a fun experience. :) Even if you don't find any vendors you like, it's fun to just go and see what's out there. 

@bethsmiles You've made me feel a lot better about the photographer. It was such a hard choice! He actually just emailed us the contract, so I'm going to look over it in a bit and see if I have any questions. I've already noticed he doesn't have a clause in there about what happens if he or the other photographers are unable to perform their duties, so I'll have to check on that. But yay, so exciting! And also, I may try on some poofier dresses just to see... if I do, I'll post them for ya. :)

• Options
    Yay for getting a lot of wedding checks out of the way! I like your photographer's portfolio a lot! I think you'll get some great pictures with him!

Also, I love the lace dresses you posted. I'm petite too (5 feet even) and I know I probably can't do poofy when the time comes but I kind of really want to.
    I'm also 5 feet even. I was surprised, and my mom was surprised, that some poofy dresses looked great! I ended up going with a fairly slim a-line look, but I was very close to purchasing some real poof! Try on a ton of dresses, and get what you love! 
  • Options
    @lilacck28‌ I'll be sure to try on ALL the dresses! Hmmmm so the photographer sent me the contract today, and apparently he's only giving us limited copyright. I'm not really on board with that. I want to be able to do what I please with my pictures. I'm assuming he's only giving us limited copyright so that he can use any of the pics for marketing purposes, but I'm going to try and have him rewrite the contract so that we have full copyright and we give him permission to use X photos on his website. We shall see what happens...

• Options
    BreMRBreMR member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I effin' love those dresses!!!  I would love to do a lace dress but I feel like it's too fancy for a destination wedding.... :(
  • Options
    @BreMR Nonsense! I've seen lace dresses at destination weddings. It's your wedding--get what you want! :)

• Options
    BreMRBreMR member
    Yes, we shall see! I'm exactly like you though, I'm waiting until the fall before I even think about trying on dresses. This gal has got to TIGHTEN!
  • Options
    PREACH! Of course, I stuffed my face with Chick-Fil-A and Famous Amos cookies tonight, sooooo yeah. Diet fail. Bridal Fitness starts tomorrow at 6am! 

• Options
    BreMRBreMR member
    eilis1228 said:
    PREACH! Of course, I stuffed my face with Chick-Fil-A and Famous Amos cookies tonight, sooooo yeah. Diet fail. Bridal Fitness starts tomorrow at 6am! 
    Me too!!!!! Well I meant to start today, actually.  I did eat pretty well today but no workout...  Are you doing anything in particular?  I think I'm just going to stick to Jillian MIchael's for awhile until I get motivated to get my lazy ass to the gym.
  • Options
    Lots of cardio. I'm a cardio queen, although I couldn't run to save my life. I get on the stair climber or elliptical for 45 minutes to an hour and watch Netflix. I basically do all cardio one day, then maybe 30 minutes of cardio and 20-30 minutes of weight lifting the next day. It's worked well in the past. I managed to lose 26 pounds last year, but then I got lazy and gained 10 of it back. 

Jillian Michaels is basically high intensity interval training, right? If so, it's a REALLY good workout!

• Options
    BreMR said:
    I effin' love those dresses!!!  I would love to do a lace dress but I feel like it's too fancy for a destination wedding.... :(
    Have you seen my big poofy dress for my DW???  It's your wedding and your vision - wear what you want!!

@eilis1228 - Good luck getting things sorted with your photographer.  My guess is he wants mention/credit if you submit a photo to a magazine (he might even want to give his approval for it as well) and wants to be able to use them in his portfolio.

Anniversary
  • Options
    @eilis1228 & @BreMR - I need... like NEED to get on the weight loss bandwagon. You would think that having a wedding in less than a year would be enough motivation, but apparently it's not. WAAAHHHHH :(

*******************************************************************************************

• Options
    @eilis1228 & @BreMR - I need... like NEED to get on the weight loss bandwagon. You would think that having a wedding in less than a year would be enough motivation, but apparently it's not. WAAAHHHHH :(

Did you order your dress?  I say I'm not even allowed to dress shop until I lose the first 10 lbs and that's not enough motivation either.  And I love dress shopping, it's the only thing I'm looking forward to!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards