Attire & Accessories Forum

How to Keep Dress Clean for Bridal Portraits?

I am getting my bridal portraits taken at a country club and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to keep my dress clean during the pictures? My dress has train that i would like to be featured in some one the pictures but I don't want it getting dirty before my wedding. 

Re: How to Keep Dress Clean for Bridal Portraits?

• Could you have your wedding photographer just take pictures of you on your wedding day? You could get ready an hour or so early and have this done before the ceremony. 

Unless this is for that giant photo that they put outside the ceremony venue. If that's the case, I would save your money. IMHO, that type of photo is very AWish.

Keeping your dress secure is really the only way to ensure it stays clean.
    *********************************************************************************

• Could you get some to carry the train for you? It might make you feel better that it would only be touching the ground for the photos, plus it would be perfectly placed for the shots. People get Bridals done all the time, so I'm sure others have had the same concern. Pay them... With lunch or wine or something afterwards :-)
  • This is actually super simple. You use a white sheet to stand on and have someone (my photographer's wife did this) tuck it just under the edge of your dress. That way you can even get shots outside without dirtying your train. I absolutely love my bridals. I have 5 shots from them displayed in a cluster on our living room wall and I give no fucks if anyone thinks that makes me an AW.

• This is actually super simple. You use a white sheet to stand on and have someone (my photographer's wife did this) tuck it just under the edge of your dress. That way you can even get shots outside without dirtying your train. I absolutely love my bridals. I have 5 shots from them displayed in a cluster on our living room wall and I give no fucks if anyone thinks that makes me an AW.
    what does AW mean?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @caitlinmca - AW = Attention Whore

Anniversary
  • Maybe it's a regional thing but I just don't see the point. You'll have a million great photos from your wedding day that you can chose from. So why would you want one that's not from your wedding day?

This is what both me and my sister did. The sheet it great.
  • I'm doing bridals too! IDGAF if people think it's AW-ish. The sheet is a really great idea! I'd ask your photographer what they typically do. I'm sure they have handled this issue before.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• The sheet is the best thing. My MOH also volunteered to come with me to help carry the dress around. I feel like it will just be the bottom and underneath that gets dirty and on the wedding day, you won't see that anyways. 

And I'm that AW that is very excited for my bridals and will proudly be an AW and display it at the reception.

• I did the sheet too. I hiked my dress up off the ground when I had to walk around, and my photographer gently placed it down for me, and would move it for me when we wanted different shots. We even did some on a bench in front of the Capital, and you'd have no CLUE I was sitting on a sheet for those either. It's just a matter of not rushing, taking your time, and trying not to brush in to things. When my shoot was all said and done and I got my dress back to my seamstress for it's final steaming, there was one tiny little 'mark' on the underside of my train. And, since I KNEW I was going to get it filthy on the wedding day, I didn't care. :) Honestly, I don't think bridals are AWish. For me, it was the PERFECT trial run for my wedding day. I was able to see the ENTIRE picture; to make sure that the hem was the right length, how challenging it was going to be to maneuver around in my gown, how to work the bustle, and it gave my photographer and I some time to work together, and for her to try out lots of different things. Plus, DAMMIT, I love my dress!!! A chance to wear it TWICE?! YES PLEASE!!! :) Plus, my photos look awesome, IMHO. :) I AW the hell out of those suckers.
  • I had never heard of bridals until I moved to SW Virginia. SO many girls get them done before their wedding here! I am not, since it doesn't really appeal to me, but people look at me like I'm the crazy one for NOT having them done. The sheet and buddy system seems to be a great idea! I hope they turn out beautifully :)
  • edited July 2014
    My photographer wants to use mine in some advertising. I'm an unrepentant camera whore, so she finds me easy to work with to get the look wanted. The sheet method is her usual. I know I'll get some dust on the underside on the train, but it's going to get way more dusty during first looks and everything else.
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2014
    Carry it carefully and don't worry about it.  My sister did a bunch of outdoor photos before the ceremony. Some were in a field and it was pretty dusty. We brushed her off afterward and it was all fine. I think I remember seeing a smudge or two as I was helping adjust her train before going down the aisle, but I didn't notice any after that and I doubt anyone else did either.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards