Honeymoon Discussions

We can't decide where to go...still!

We got married in May and have been going back and forth for months on where to go on a honeymoon. I'd like to go in September the latest...we ran out of time to plan a trip right after the wedding and now I feel i'm running out of time to plan for September. Budget around $5000-6000 traveling from NYC. Anywhere fro 7-14 days. Places I've considered: Greece - possibly Greece/Turkey combo. Second option: Hawaii or Hawaiian cruise. Anyone been on the Norwegian 7 day cruise? Any other cruise options? We've never been on a cruise. If Hawaii, better to do a cruise or just go to 1 spot? Any recommendations of what Island to go to? My husband likes to sight see, experience different cultures, eat diff foods, but I also want to be able to relax a bit. Not too interested in a resort that you'd just that you'd just stay at for the entire trip. Help! Any ideas/suggestions?

Re: We can't decide where to go...still!

• A cruise sounds perfect for you then because you had down time to relax between ports (giving you the relaxing time you want) & when in the different ports you can see & do lots of stuff (giving your husband the activity and adventure he wants).

My parents did a cruise through Hawaii and loved it. My mom loved the id

• vmj23vmj23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer

Also thought about Belize or Costa Rica - but seems to be the "rainy season" there?  Riviera Maya was also suggested to me - but I didn't know if that's real touristy?  I think Cancun and I think college spring break.    We have been NO WHERE so it's making it so hard to pick!  So many choices!!!  

• We are going to Secrets Maroma in Cancun. It's an all-inclusive resort so I think you'd get a lot of bang for your buck with something like that. I also like the Hawaiian cruise idea. Cruises are lots of fun and you can make them as relaxing or interactive as you want. Seems like a good way to see Hawaii since I've heard it's expensive there.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I'd personally avoid anywhere in South American or the Caribbean unless you get trip insurance. Those places could very easily get hit with a hurricane in September. 

I'd probably go for a cruise. 

I don't know that you could do Hawaii from NYC for 5-6k. I've heard that Hawaii is really expensive. 
  • I love Belize. It's my favorite place that I've been. And you can definitely do it for $5-6k. The rainy season isn't that bad, however the hurricane threat is a problem. We stayed out in the Cayo at an eco-resort. Tons of stuff to do right there, or they will take you on trips to the various ruins/sites. We stayed at the Black Rock Lodge-everything about it was perfect for us, but it is an eco-resort, so it might not be a "luxurious" as some people want. As for Hawaii, for your budget I think a cruise is the only way you would be able to do it. You are looking at around $2k just for flights from NYC.
  • vmj23vmj23 member
    I was pushing for Greece but now leaning towards the cruise. I am def concerned about hurricanes...after all it's taking to plan this, I don't want to risk a trip getting ruined. Thanks everyone!
  • Another option for you - we're doing Italy in September. Our two round trip flights from NYC are $2,000 and we're renting a place for under $1,000 for 10 days. So that's definitely doable on your budget! 
  • It's hurricane season in Hawaii then too. I've been there a couple of times, once on a cruise. I hated that cruise though. I much preferred island hopping. I would look into a Mediterranean cruise. I went on one many years ago and had a blast. I do not know the costs associated since it was so long ago, but a lot of times you can get good last minute deals on cruises.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • vmj23vmj23 member
    lyndausvi said:
    It's hurricane season in Hawaii then too. I've been there a couple of times, once on a cruise. I hated that cruise though. I much preferred island hopping. I would look into a Mediterranean cruise. I went on one many years ago and had a blast. I do not know the costs associated since it was so long ago, but a lot of times you can get good last minute deals on cruises.

I've read that although it's Hurricane season, they are rare in Hawaii.   I've looked into some Mediterranean cruise options too, thats also a possiblity...soooo many choices but at this point I am just trying to get something booked before it's too late (after Sept we dont' really have much time to get away for a nice trip).

ClimbingBrideNY  - i've thought about Italy too...just so many places to pick from!! LOL

• jenni1221 said:
    lyndausvi said:
    It's hurricane season in Hawaii then too. I've been there a couple of times, once on a cruise. I hated that cruise though. I much preferred island hopping. I would look into a Mediterranean cruise. I went on one many years ago and had a blast. I do not know the costs associated since it was so long ago, but a lot of times you can get good last minute deals on cruises.

I've read that although it's Hurricane season, they are rare in Hawaii.   I've looked into some Mediterranean cruise options too, thats also a possiblity...soooo many choices but at this point I am just trying to get something booked before it's too late (after Sept we dont' really have much time to get away for a nice trip).

ClimbingBrideNY  - i've thought about Italy too...just so many places to pick from!! LOL

***STUCK IN THE BOX

No more rare then one hitting a small Caribbean Island.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • jenni1221 said:
    lyndausvi said:

Tell me about it! We decided to pick Florence, but it was extremely hard to make that decision. 
  • I have been on 17 cruises, including the Princess Greek island cruise.  That was one of our favorites, the other one being the Baltic cruise in Scandinavia and Russia.  That one is summer only.
    I highly recommend a cruise for you.  You don't have to do all the planning.  The cruise offers excursions that will insure that you see important things, like the Parthenon in Athens.  (Wear your hiking shoes!)
    You should use a travel agent to book a cruise.  All online sites like Expedia, Orbitz, Vacations to Go are travel agencies.  I have someone at VTG that I have used for my cruises for the past 5 years.  I will share his name and contact information with anyone who PMs me. 
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • My husband and I went to the Amalfi Coast for our honeymoon last October and it was perfect. The weather was gorgeous and it wasn't too crowded. We stayed within your budget by using public transportation a lot while we were there. We stayed in Sorrento and took day trips to Capri, Positano, Pompei and Naples. Our hotel had a beautiful pool overlooking the Bay of Naples and it was warm enough to lounge by the pool when we felt like relaxing. 
  • JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    jenni1221 said:
    We got married in May and have been going back and forth for months on where to go on a honeymoon. I'd like to go in September the latest...we ran out of time to plan a trip right after the wedding and now I feel i'm running out of time to plan for September. Budget around $5000-6000 traveling from NYC. Anywhere fro 7-14 days. Places I've considered: Greece - possibly Greece/Turkey combo. Second option: Hawaii or Hawaiian cruise. Anyone been on the Norwegian 7 day cruise? Any other cruise options? We've never been on a cruise. If Hawaii, better to do a cruise or just go to 1 spot? Any recommendations of what Island to go to? My husband likes to sight see, experience different cultures, eat diff foods, but I also want to be able to relax a bit. Not too interested in a resort that you'd just that you'd just stay at for the entire trip. Help! Any ideas/suggestions?
    My aunt and uncle did a Hawaiian cruise.  They were very disappointed.  It wasn't the Hawaii they envisioned.  I think a good part of that was because of the port locations.  From what I understand, it wasn't like the Caribbean islands where you can just walk off and walk to the beach from what I understand.  I think they said some of the ports were more like shipping ports.  One of the stops (I'm not sure which one), they said was very depressingly poor looking as they were driving to their excursion. 

I wonder if the true appreciation and beauty of the islands is best received when staying there and having days to explore each island? 

ETA - I know a few people that honeymooned on the islands.....one couple in Oahu and Maui, one couple on the Big Island.  Both LOVED it.  
  • I hate to say this (but I don't hate it enough NOT to say it)...it's just a vacation.  Maybe your indecision is due to putting too much pressure on yourself because you're calling it a "honeymoon", but the reality is...it's just a vacation, like any other and it won't be the only vacation you get in your life (unless of course you make it that way). 

Plus, with a 7 - 14 day time frame, there is really no reason to make it an either/or sightseeing or relaxing vacation.  That's plenty of time to do a little of both.  So why don't you and your husband sit down, list your top three choices and if there's an overlap then the decision is made for you.  If it's widely different, then you just start talking it out and compromising and just pick one and then make plans for the other in two or three years time or however long it takes to save again and make it financially feasible.  If you two just can't compromise on one, then go find a travel agent, outline your parameters, and put your faith in their extensive knowledge and ability to find something that meets those parameters.
  • vmj23vmj23 member
    jacques27 said:
    I hate to say this (but I don't hate it enough NOT to say it)...it's just a vacation.  Maybe your indecision is due to putting too much pressure on yourself because you're calling it a "honeymoon", but the reality is...it's just a vacation, like any other and it won't be the only vacation you get in your life (unless of course you make it that way). 

Plus, with a 7 - 14 day time frame, there is really no reason to make it an either/or sightseeing or relaxing vacation.  That's plenty of time to do a little of both.  So why don't you and your husband sit down, list your top three choices and if there's an overlap then the decision is made for you.  If it's widely different, then you just start talking it out and compromising and just pick one and then make plans for the other in two or three years time or however long it takes to save again and make it financially feasible.  If you two just can't compromise on one, then go find a travel agent, outline your parameters, and put your faith in their extensive knowledge and ability to find something that meets those parameters.

believe me I know it!   we just never go away on big trips, financially it's not a problem for us, but my husband owns his own company and works himself crazy so its just hard to get him away, so I want it to be good.   thanks for the advice! I think we need to just pick a place and not second guess it.  
  • Island hopping in Hawaii! Your budget is perfect for it. You can stay a week in Oahu- rent a car and get around to experiencing the entire island. You can do all of the things you want to do there. Waikiki, Pearl Harbor, Hanauma Bay, Diamondhead, Luaus, North Shore for relaxing beach days, Polynesian Cultural Center. After a busy week in Oahu, you can then take the second week to just chill out and relax more. Hop over to Maui- there you can get more of the cultural aspects of the trip too, eat the local foods, etc. Then go to Kauai for your last few days, by then you'll be feeling like a local and there's less tourists there. You will return home fulfilled and fully relaxed. :) I'd rent a condo or house in Oahu and Kauai. Stay at resort in Maui.
  • Anyone been on the Norwegian 7 day cruise? Any other cruise options? We've never been on a cruise. If Hawaii, better to do a cruise or just go to 1 spot?

I absolutely recommend the 7 day Pride of America Cruise. We had the most amazing time. You are better to cruise and see MORE if you are going all the way there anyways!
  • Anyone been on the Norwegian 7 day cruise? Any other cruise options? We've never been on a cruise. If Hawaii, better to do a cruise or just go to 1 spot?

I absolutely recommend the 7 day Pride of America Cruise. We had the most amazing time. You are better to cruise and see MORE if you are going all the way there anyways!
    Thanks for the feedback!  Did you feel rushed or too busy doing a cruise?  That is my biggest concern - I don't want to have to wake up early everyday and be rushing to get back to the ship. 
  • If your husband wants different culture, then I wouldn't go to Hawaii. It's great, but it isn't that dissimilar from the rest of America aside from a little bit of Polynesian and Japanese culture thrown in. Why don't you split the difference and do a Mediteranian cruise? 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards