Attire & Accessories Forum

No ball gowns, chubby-ish bride

Okay so I'm pear shaped -a little tummy too...but mostly pear and definitely short waisted (although I'm 5'6-7)  It seems when I go into dress shops my only options are ball gowns. 

Is it not possible to get a trumpet/mermaid or something else without a dropped waist? Is it impossible to have the dress structured for my body?

Re: No ball gowns, chubby-ish bride

• As in the sales lady only pulls ball gowns? Or they don't have a sample size that you'd fit?

Bridal gowns do come in plus sizes, even for mermaid/trumpet shapes. You might have to go to a bigger store/salon to be able to try them on though, some stores only stock tiny sample sizes. 

You'll probably want to wear a waist cincher or some other type of shape wear as well. And you may have significant alterations depending on how the dress hits you.

Google image pulled this up. 

So they definitely exist. 

Anniversary
  • I have bigg-ish hips and a short waist (but 5'9" with long legs) and thought I would get an a-line dress to hide my hips. However it turned out that fit n flare dresses were the most flattering because they elongated my waist and made me look slimmer. Definitely insist on trying on other types of gowns than ballgowns. Go to a store that carries sample sizes other than 8 or 10 (which is a 4 and 6 in street sizes).
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I think A-lines or a gown with princess seams (a modest fit and flare) would flatter your figure best. 
  • I love the options that some of the other ladies have posted for you as ideas. I have to agree, you may want to ask for A line styles because I could easily see where some shops could consider those styles as A line or a trumpet cut depending on the sales reps view of the dress. It will definately open your options. Don't give up.
  • Don't get discouraged. I had the same type of concern with fit-and-flare styles. The dropped waist ones looked terrible on me but I found a true fit-and-flare with a natural waist which I loved and picked as my dress! Just keep trying on different styles. Even some of the same styles will look different on you depending on the fabric type, ruching, etc.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I'm not a thin girl--around a size 12-14 in street sizes--and the first bridal consultant I had only tried to put me in very structured dresses. I wanted something more like an evening gown, than skimmed my curves--no boning or cinching involved. When I FINALLY got this across to her, she essentially insulted me (I assume by accident) and said something like "that won't hold you in, you know". Ummm....I wear dresses all the time, and if I need to I'll wear spanx. I don't need my wedding dress to hold me in. 

I actually found my dress at that store, but bought it at a different store where the consultant was much more open minded!
  • Nothing is impossible! Honestly, ask your consultant to pick out every type of dress you like (mermaid, fit and flair, trumpet, ect ect) so you can see how the shapes work with your body. If she gives you attitude, just ask her how else are you to know what looks good on you? I was dead set on fit & flare, but as soon as I tried on a ball gown it was like holy crap I feel like a bride. Keep an open, positive mindset and just enjoy the experience!
  • Try an A line style. I never thought it would work for me but my dress looks like a completely different dress on me than in any pictures I've seen of it. Here is mine. It's an A line Alfred Angelo 239 and I fell in love. Happy hunting!!

• Very beautiful. Love the understated sparkle! Congratulations!
    Happiness is an inside job
  • When daughter and I shopped for her dress in 2010, everything was strapless.  There were shops that had nothing else!  We kept looking until we found her perfect dress, which was NOT strapless.
    A line styles are coming back.  They flatter almost everyone.

http://www.alfredangelo.com/Collections/Bridal-Collection/8516/?pg=2
    http://www.alfredangelo.com/Collections/Bridal-Collection/2387/?pg=3
    http://www.alfredangelo.com/Collections/Bridal-Collection/8522/?pg=1
    http://www.alfredangelo.com/Collections/Bridal-Collection/891/?pg=1

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Super flattering on.  The picture does not do it justice.  David's Bridal.  The sales price is $636.65.

Happiness is an inside job
  • edited July 2014

rentz14 said:
    Try an A line style. I never thought it would work for me but my dress looks like a completely different dress on me than in any pictures I've seen of it. Here is mine. It's an A line Alfred Angelo 239 and I fell in love. Happy hunting!! image
    I agree, try an A-line gown.  That is what I ended up purchasing (and I wasn't even going to try mine on because I didn't think I could pull it off), and it does so much for my body.  We added a belt on, and it did amazing things for my waist.

ETA: your dress is beautiful!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards