Pre-wedding Parties

Wedding Shower activities?

I am throwing a shower this weekend.  It is foodie themed, and everyone is bringing a recipe for the bride and groom to make a cookbook for them.  They don't have a traditional registry (which I didn't know before I offered to throw the shower), which is why we've made it a "recipe" shower. We will have beer, wine, a rum punch type thing, non-alcoholic drinks, 2 appetizer type dishes, 2 heavier appetizer type dishes (the shower is at 3pm), and 2 dessert dishes. 

There likely won't be gifts to open, there are only 9 people (including the bride and groom, and myself) attending, and the groom is not a huge fan of "cutesy" games (and not the type to respond well if "forced" to participate).  The co-host and I are kind of at a loss for what everyone is going to be doing at the shower! We thought more people would be able to come, so mingling would be a bit more robust.  Now, we just don't know.

Any suggestions for activities?
My reaction to most everything on the internet today:

Re: Wedding Shower activities?

• edited July 2014
    If you "must" play games (not a fan ;-p) and it is foodie themed you could blindfold the B&G and have them guess the food or herb/spice.

Have a blind wine tasting. Have guests guess which wine is which variety. Winner gets a bottle of the wine? This game I could get behind. 
    eta - don't blindfold everyone just cover the bottles so you can see the labels. 
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I'm not a huge fan of games either. I truly believe that 9+ adults can sit in a room with food, drink and conversation and be completely entertained. Don't worry so much about activities as having awesome food if it's a "foodie party"! 
    *********************************************************************************

• csuavecsuave member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper

At a work shower we had a wedding trivia game based on where wedding traditions came from.  It was matching but I think there were a couple of extra answers to make it harder.  It was good because people that were interested got into it and people that weren't but little effort into it and just socialized instead.

Wine tasting would be fun too.

• 1. Wedding Triva
    2.  Bride and Groom Trivia (Questions about the couple)
    3.  Set aside a minute or two for each guest to offer a toast
    @csuave - love the wine tasting idea!
  • If it's just friends coming to the party, why not regular board games, like Apples to Apples, Cards Against Humanity (if you're not shy :) ), etc.? 
  • My sister played a cute game at my shower. Before that day, she had asked me and DH some questions. At the shower she had guests guess which one of us gave the answer that she supplied. She made little foam crowns on sticks for people to hold up if they thought it was me and foam mustaches on sticks if they thought it was DH's answer. This is a cutesy trivia game, but the groom wouldn't have to participate because he would already know the answers.
  • Why is this called a "shower" if there are no gifts to open?

I don't get why a shower needs games at all, let alone "cutesy" ones, although I don't object to board and card games like those suggested above.  Is it really impossible for everyone to enjoy themselves with just mingling, opening gifts, and good food and drinks?
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Jen4948 said:
    Why is this called a "shower" if there are no gifts to open?

I don't get why a shower needs games at all, let alone "cutesy" ones, although I don't object to board and card games like those suggested above.  Is it really impossible for everyone to enjoy themselves with just mingling, opening gifts, and good food and drinks?

I agree. If there are no gifts to open, then it's not a shower. You are having a luncheon. Luncheons do not really need games.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards