Not Engaged Yet

Let's do this.

2»

Re: Let's do this.

• phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    500days said:
    @Blue & White I'm glad you could hear it! I feel like I only said "roof" weird? How have I never noticed this...
    I say it weird, too! I also say "room" weird. I got made fun of a lot for it in college.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • I have friends who say "both" weird. They pronounce it "bolf." It never fails to make me laugh...

I also have a friend who had some sort of procedure on his tongue when he was a kid, so he says a few words strangely. For example, "milk" is "melk," "alcohol" is "ulcohaul," etc. I guess vowels in general are difficult for him. 

@minskat30 I was ready to leave Austin by the time I graduated, but I went to UT for both undergrad and grad, so I'd been there a while. Now that I've been gone for a few years, I wouldn't mind moving back. It's interesting though because now that it's turning into the new Silicon Valley, there's a huge influx of new people moving there. A lot of my friends and family who have lived there for years tell me there's a ton of tension between the "old" Austinites and the newer ones and how Austin is no longer weird or special because of all the new people and new corporations "invading". I was down there a few months ago and didn't notice a big difference though. It still seemed the same to me. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house? TPing
    What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball?
    potato bug
    What is the bubbly carbonated drink called?
    Pop
    What do you call gym shoes?
    Tennis shoes (I personally call them athletic shoes)
    Where do you shop for groceries?
    Grocery store
    What do you say to address a group of people?
    Hey, Hi, Hello depending on how formal
    What do you call the kind of spider that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs?
    Hopefully Dead! <Daddy Long Legs>
    What do you call your grandparents?
    Grandma/Grandpa
    What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket?
    Shopping cart
    What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining?
    There's a name for it??
    What is the thing you change the TV channel with?
    Remote <<I HATE clicker>>

Anniversary
  • @tuarceatha EXACTLY - I had no idea how to pronounce peony.  Remember?  I'm bad at being a girl!

Also, I kinda love that you say most of the words completely opposite from me :)  I swear we are both speaking English!
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • @tuarceatha EXACTLY - I had no idea how to pronounce peony.  Remember?  I'm bad at being a girl!

Also, I kinda love that you say most of the words completely opposite from me :)  I swear we are both speaking English!
    hahah I used to have a Boston accent (born in MA but have lived in VA most of my life). That only comes out when I drink or say "Peabody" (sober).
  • eilis1228 said:
    I have friends who say "both" weird. They pronounce it "bolf." It never fails to make me laugh...

I also have a friend who had some sort of procedure on his tongue when he was a kid, so he says a few words strangely. For example, "milk" is "melk," "alcohol" is "ulcohaul," etc. I guess vowels in general are difficult for him. 

@minskat30 I was ready to leave Austin by the time I graduated, but I went to UT for both undergrad and grad, so I'd been there a while. Now that I've been gone for a few years, I wouldn't mind moving back. It's interesting though because now that it's turning into the new Silicon Valley, there's a huge influx of new people moving there. A lot of my friends and family who have lived there for years tell me there's a ton of tension between the "old" Austinites and the newer ones and how Austin is no longer weird or special because of all the new people and new corporations "invading". I was down there a few months ago and didn't notice a big difference though. It still seemed the same to me. 
    I say melk. . . Milk feels too unnatural. Unless I'm saying the name Harvey Milk, in which case I pronounce it correctly. . . So I dunno where that comes from.
  • FoxandBunnyFoxandBunny member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    This is really cool. These types of things are so interesting to me!

I'm from Alabama, though I grew up in New Orleans and have some family there still so some of my vernacular comes from there. I don't consider myself to have too much of an accent, though that may just be because I'm surrounded by people with southern accents all day.

I'll edit in a link of my recording once I can actually get it to work.
    ETA: CLICK HERE to hear my lovely voice :)

What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house?
    Rolling a house
    What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball?
    Doodle bug (or rolly poly because no one in Alabama seems to understand what I'm talking about when I say doodle bug)
    What is the bubbly carbonated drink called?
    Soft drink
    What do you call gym shoes?
    Tennis shoes
    Where do you shop for groceries?
    Grocery Store
    What do you say to address a group of people?
    Y'all or guys
    What do you call the kind of spider that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs?
    Daddy Long Legs 
    What do you call your grandparents?
    Mamaw, Nanny, Pawpaw (for both grandfathers)
    What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket?
    Buggy
    What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining?
    Nothing? Though I have heard it called the Devil beating his wife.
    What is the thing you change the TV channel with?

Remote
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• BreMRBreMR member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    This was funny,  I have to say, the bug that rolls up has always been a potato bug to me.  My daughter came home on Thursday and said "mom!  I want a pet rollie pollie, they're SOOO CUTE!' and I said "oh I've never heard of that, sounds cute" 
    She said "yeah, they roll up in a ball when you touch them, and they crawl all over your arm." 

Then I'm really confused.. I asked her "Is a rollie pollie... a bug???" 

Yep, she was letting those nasty bugs crawl all over her at daycare... and she was delighted with them.  She is not my child.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards