Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Can a ceremony be considered too short??

Hello,

I think I have our ceremony all planned out and have done a mock timing from the time the officiate begins to speak until the announcing of the bride and groom.
This came to about 7-8 minutes average and was not including the bridal procession or Bride and Groom exit.

Is this about average if we are not doing anything really extensive or should we add something with meaning to make the event a little more " full"?

I have an idea too add a reading but neither of us are set on having it but think that it would be nice.

If you attended a wedding ceremony without any emphasis on religious readings or "fluff" would you be left wanting more from it in the end or happy that you finally attended a ceremony that was cut and dry??

so I am estimating that all together it will be about 12-15 minutes.

What do you all think??

Re: Can a ceremony be considered too short??

• A short ceremony wouldn't bother me at all. If it has everything you want in the ceremony then its fine :)

• Well, I come from a large Catholic family and am used to wedding ceremonies running a full hour, so 12-15 minutes seems short to me.  But if it's what you want, don't feel like you have to add stuff that isn't meaningful to you.
  • I think most weddings are between 20-30 minutes.  I attended a wedding once that was 11 minutes long and everyone commented on how short it was.  If it were me, I would add a unity candle or sand ceremony or a reading, but you certainly don't have to.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm used to short weddings and strongly prefer them. The few times I've attended weddings that had readings, I usually thought they were pretty silly. And I despise when someone gets up there and preaches or lectures. Your timeframe sounds pretty normal to me and similar to what mine was.
  • I think it will be fine.  You're having the ceremony you want.  You'll be married at the end.  Does it really matter if that takes 8 minutes or a hour?  Besides, once you add in the processional and recessional you're probably up to about 12 minutes.  Fine.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • There is nothing wrong with a short ceremony but I do agree that 7 to 8 minutes might be a little too short. My first thought was about your guest . . is the ceremony and reception in the same location? If so, then a short ceremony is no big deal because guest can move right on to cocktail hour or the reception. But if your venues are in different places I might add a sand ceremony or unity candle to add some length because otherwise its like they came to the ceremony location for nothing. Also, you might add some readings and songs for length as well. They don't have to be religious.
  • I was in a 5 minute wedding once and it was great!  In, out, time for snacks!  You should do what's best for you.  Don't have a long ceremony just because you feel like you have to.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_can-ceremony-considered-short?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:4348014b-e57a-4f58-ab73-dd242fef903dPost:b5cef44d-c1a0-4430-a164-2f30f0343993">Re: Can a ceremony be considered too short??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think most weddings are between 20-30 minutes.  I attended a wedding once that was 11 minutes long and everyone commented on how short it was.  If it were me, I would add a unity candle or sand ceremony or a reading, but you certainly don't have to.
    Posted by danieliza1127[/QUOTE]

I ditto the sand mixing or unity candle ceremony to add a tiny bit of time to it if you want to.

There is also this awesome thing called a Unity Cross.
    <a href="http://shopinspiration.com/The-Unity-Cross-792119900301.htm" rel="nofollow">http://shopinspiration.com/The-Unity-Cross-792119900301.htm</a>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_can-ceremony-considered-short?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:4348014b-e57a-4f58-ab73-dd242fef903dPost:a44ffc24-cc59-43ed-bd06-7a3d32db2663">Re: Can a ceremony be considered too short??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I feel that at only 7 minutes, you shortchange yourself out of the most important moment of your life.
    Posted by jennylove810[/QUOTE]

Say what?
  • My FSIL's wedding was only about 7-8 minutes INCLUDING a reading! They said they had timed it at 15 mins beforehand but everyone talked more quickly during the actual ceremony due to nerves. Something to consider....

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_can-ceremony-considered-short?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:4348014b-e57a-4f58-ab73-dd242fef903dPost:63c47d07-8188-4125-9ed4-33f50c6b3a18">Re: Can a ceremony be considered too short??</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can a ceremony be considered too short?? : Say what?
    Posted by misslizz[/QUOTE]

Did I stutter?

Haha jk :)

No what I mean is, getting married is one of the biggest, most important moments of your life.  If your ceremony is only 7 minutes, it's like you've jipped yourself - it's too momentous an occasion for that.  I don't know if I'm explaining it right.  I guess I just feel like your marriage is too important for a blink-and-you-miss it ceremony.
  • edited June 2010
    I think that it is short. I also agree that if guests are going from one venue to another they will feel like they were jipped.  Even so, its your day. Do a dry run in your living room, walking back and forth, readings, views and walk out etc and time it. Then realize you will walk faster and it will probably be shorter when it happens!

I would not add something you don't love. Maybe there is a love poem someone important could read or a song you both love could be played in the middle, do you know anyone who sings or plays guitar?  If you think the unity candle/sand ceremony is cheesy then skip it. Do something that means something to you.
  • On one hand, I think people will notice how short it is.  On the other hand, I think it might actually be worse to fill it with things you don't really need just to kill time.  But the others have given you some great ideas, so if you think that would work for your ceremony, it couldn't hurt to add a few things.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards