Wedding Etiquette Forum

Transportation logistics - maybe I'm missing something?

Here's some short & sweet background info:
1) I know that providing a limo / party bus / shuttle / trolley / etc. for the WP is not necessary, but appreciated.
2) FI & I are not renting anything for ourselves (we're borrowing his dad's convertible sports car - SWEET)
3) Our WP's homes are in the greater Pittsburgh "area", but vary between living in the city and living 2 hours from the city.

So here's my question.  My parents very generously gave us a monetary gift for our wedding, with the hopes that it would cover what was necessary and would maybe open up some possibilities that we might not have paid for originally.  (i.e. - of course we have to pay for food / drink for our guests, but we weren't going to do chair covers.  Mom wants chair covers, so now that they've gifted us this money, I'll do chair covers.)

Mom brought up the question "are you renting any transportation?", knowing that FI & I are not for ourselves - so she's asking if we're doing this for the WP.  I think she'd like to provide transportation for them for after the reception so that they can drink and not worry about driving. 

Now, I'd love to do this for our WP, but logistically, I don't think it will work.  As I mentioned, they're from all corners of Pittsburgh.  A limo (or whatever) couldn't pick them up from their respective houses.  It also couldn't pick them up at my parents' house (where we'll all meet after H&MU) because our driveway is just not limo-conducive.  So, we thought, maybe we'll have the limo pick them up at the church and take them to the reception........ which would take all of 20 mins.  Again, doesn't really make sense.  Even though some of them are from 2 hours away, they haven't gotten a hotel room (there are, without exaggeration, 12 hotels that are 5 driving minutes away from our reception venue) - renting something to ferry them to the hotel would be wasted, because no one's staying in the hotels.  

Am I over-thinking this?  Of course I'd like to provide something like this for our WP, but is it really our concern in the end?  The only time they'll be traveling to the same place is from the church to the reception.  Everyone's car will be one place or another, depending on who carpools.  A limo / party bus rental wouldn't solve the issue of drunk WP members trying to get home (although we are posting numbers of local taxi services somewhere at the reception venue).  I don't want to short the WP out of something potentially life-saving (not to be dramatic), but it just doesn't seem logistically possible.

Thoughts, Knotties?  
(sorry for the long-ass post, dang.)        

Wedding Countdown Ticker
Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird

Re: Transportation logistics - maybe I'm missing something?

• Yes, I think you're over-thinking it. Either get one and have it pick everyone up at an agreed upon location (church or hotel) or don't get one. 

You could have it take you to/from the salon (if you're doing that). Is everyone getting ready at the church? If not, you could have it take you from wherever you're getting ready to the church.

If you think it's a waste, figure out how much it costs and what you could afford to do with that money (i.e. 3 passed apps at cocktail hour, ribbons for the chair covers, whatever) and present it to your mom. See if she changes her mind.
    *********************************************************************************

• Marzipan13Marzipan13 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    southernbelle0915 said: Yes, I think you're over-thinking it. Either get one and have it pick everyone up at an agreed upon location (church or hotel) or don't get one. 
    You could have it take you to/from the salon (if you're doing that). Is everyone getting ready at the church? If not, you could have it take you from wherever you're getting ready to the church.
    If you think it's a waste, figure out how much it costs and what you could afford to do with that money (i.e. 3 passed apps at cocktail hour, ribbons for the chair covers, whatever) and present it to your mom. See if she changes her mind.
    ---------------------------etf: sitb-----------------------------------------------------
    We are getting H&MU done at a salon, which we're all going to meet at.  After that, we're going back to my parents' house to get dressed.  Idk, to me it seems silly to get a limo just for carting people from place to place - I'd rather get one for the purpose of DD after the reception (which isn't feasible anyhow).

I like your suggestions - I think we'll probably have more apps, or more dessert (besides the cake)!  I don't think mom cares
    what we decide to do "extra" or "above and beyond", she just wants us to use the money for something special that we might not have otherwise. 

I guess I just didn't want to overlook getting them transportation, but I'm starting to think that's more their business if they get drunk and didn't get a nearby room.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Often, the wedding party takes group transportation from the ceremony to the reception because they stop for pictures.  It does not sound like you are doing that.  It sounds as if trying to organize group transportation might be more hassle than help.

• @MobKaz  Yeah, we're just doing pictures at the church (inside & out on the grounds).  I think organizing transportation is just going to be a hassle, I agree.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I kind of have the same situation as you (church and reception are only 15 minutes apart, etc.) I figured some people may carpool, but for us it would be a waste of money (and not really necessary) to get a limo.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• @MobKaz  Yeah, we're just doing pictures at the church (inside & out on the grounds).  I think organizing transportation is just going to be a hassle, I agree.
    Because the only pictures we had left to do were all done at our ceremony location, the WP just chose to drive to the reception with their dates/families. 
  • I guess I should rephrase my question (now that the church/reception transpo thing has been resolved)... Is it our responsibility to provide DD transportation for our WP after the reception?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I guess I should rephrase my question (now that the church/reception transpo thing has been resolved)... Is it our responsibility to provide DD transportation for our WP after the reception?
    I do not think it is your responsibility to offer DD options. Your WP are adults. They have options, including the wealth of convenient hotel choices. This is no different than any other "night on the town". If they choose to drink, they need to accept the responsibility of getting home safely. Whether they drink, and the quantity they drink, is their choice.
  • I guess I should rephrase my question (now that the church/reception transpo thing has been resolved)... Is it our responsibility to provide DD transportation for our WP after the reception?
    Not required. Nice, but not required. You could give them a few numbers for cab companies if they don't already have them. 
    *********************************************************************************

• jnissajnissa member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Well, here is all I'm going to say as a native Pittsburgher - if it's walkable from church to reception, that's one thing. But it's not like this is a city where you can run out and grab a cab and I'm guessing your girls will be in heels. It's also not a city where "closeby" necessarily means "easy to drive to." I was at a wedding last year where the ceremony was at Phipps and the reception was downtown and even though they're technically only 10 minutes apart, it was a nightmare getting people into cars and getting there. If this were a normal city with lots of transportation (and parking) options I would definitely say you are overthinking it. But in this case you honestly may not be. 

It isn't your job to get them home safely (you've offered a hotel block as an option). But this is a really crappy city to get around in, so I'd re-think possibly getting something to get you all from salon to house to venue to hotel. Those are a lot of stops for people to drive to in a city that may not make it easy (though I don't know your logistics, you may honestly be close to these things). Just DO NOT strand them with cab companies :) If you're willing to skirt the legal line, set up an Uber account and give them all access to it and cover the cost that way.
  • Marzipan13Marzipan13 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    jnissa said: Well, here is all I'm going to say as a native Pittsburgher - if it's walkable from church to reception, that's one thing. But it's not like this is a city where you can run out and grab a cab and I'm guessing your girls will be in heels. It's also not a city where "closeby" necessarily means "easy to drive to." I was at a wedding last year where the ceremony was at Phipps and the reception was downtown and even though they're technically only 10 minutes apart, it was a nightmare getting people into cars and getting there. If this were a normal city with lots of transportation (and parking) options I would definitely say you are overthinking it. But in this case you honestly may not be. 
    It isn't your job to get them home safely (you've offered a hotel block as an option). But this is a really crappy city to get around in, so I'd re-think possibly getting something to get you all from salon to house to venue to hotel. Those are a lot of stops for people to drive to in a city that may not make it easy (though I don't know your logistics, you may honestly be close to these things). Just DO NOT strand them with cab companies :) If you're willing to skirt the legal line, set up an Uber account and give them all access to it and cover the cost that way.
    --------------------------etf: shitty boxes------------------------------------------------
    Hi, fellow yinzer bride! :)

Our church & reception aren't
    in the city, actually.  They're up in Wexford / Warrendale, so it's a straight shot up 79.  

But anyway.  Thank you for all the suggestions!  You guys are so helpful, as always. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited July 2014
    my ceremony and reception were in the same place so that type of transportation wasn't an issue....however getting everyone TO the location was. We all got ready together at the hotel I had blocked. Luckily a friend of mine who helped out with hair for the wedding offered to drive the girls and I after we got ready to the venue so no one would have to drive their cars. Maybe you have a friend that could help in that way?

It kind of worked out for my friend too....she borrowed my car and drove it with her H and 2 other friends back to the venue when it was wedding time and then they all got a cab home and my parents were able to use my car to load up wedding stuff at the end of the night.

Transportation can be a pain in the butt lol

ETF - The knot ate my paragraphs
  • The only way they can all be in the same place at the same time is if they stay at the same hotel or a hotel close together.  At this point providing transportation to the WP would be extremely difficult.  I would have everyone meet at one or 2 hotels to be picked up and then brought to the venues and back to the hotels to get their cars at the end of the night.  It fullfills your wish of providing transportation and getting everyone home safe.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would never in a million, billion years expect a couple to pay to get me back to my actual house. Never. We are providing a shuttle between our room block hotel and the wedding (C&R same place) and people are surprised enough at that. One WP member decided to stay at the hotel in order to utilize the DD even though she lives nearby, but nobody ever thought I'd drive them home otherwise.

• Unless they're all located in the same hotel, it doesn't make sense to have transportation provided for them. HOWEVER, I live in Pittsburgh and the cab service is the worst you could possibly imagine. I assume you'd know that from living here, but just in case, check out the yelp reviews for Pittsburgh Yellow Cab. I still think they could figure out their own transportation, but they'd probably be better off staying in hotels in walking distance. 
  • Is a service like Uber in Pittsburgh? They are great alternatives to cabs.
    Happiness is an inside job
  • Ndelible said:
    Is a service like Uber in Pittsburgh? They are great alternatives to cabs.
    Yes, however there is a huge legal battle going on between Uber, Lyft  and the Commonwealth of PA.  They have been ordered to cease and desist.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Darn! I know the cab companies do not like the car services coming in, but they are quite nice. Recently used Uber in Orlando and it was darn convenient. With Uber you could have arranged for any of your WP that felt they were too buzzed to drive themselves a ride that you could pay for. Best of luck!
  • Ndelible said:
    Darn! I know the cab companies do not like the car services coming in, but they are quite nice. Recently used Uber in Orlando and it was darn convenient. With Uber you could have arranged for any of your WP that felt they were too buzzed to drive themselves a ride that you could pay for. Best of luck!
    It's actually not the cab companies.  It's the fact that they are violating PA laws regarding operating a business as well as the specific laws regarding vehicle for hire services.  I have a friend who works for the department of the government that is dealing with this and he posts updates and articles about it all the time.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ah, well, if they are not following the law, not tears for them!

• I guess I should rephrase my question (now that the church/reception transpo thing has been resolved)...

Is it our responsibility to provide DD transportation for our WP after the reception?

Not required. Nice, but not required. You could give them a few numbers for cab companies if they don't already have them. 

Lol! I think there are only 2 cab companies in Pittsburgh and they suck. . .super unreliable and if they show up they are usually 20mins late. At least Yellow Cab is.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• i already got married at the end of june so this is what we did we had a large wp 7 girls 5 guys most of the girls got together the morning off to do nails and feet. me my sister and a cousin of mine broke away from the rest of them to get hair done ( rest of wp was doing hair at my parents house) we left the salon early and then meet them back at my parents house after we were done. that was where all the maids were getting dressed and ready i had a cousin who offered to do makeup for all the maids and hair if they needed it. we rented a limo bus the bus picked up the guys at the venue and took them to church then it came to my parents house and picked us all up and took us to the church. 

all of my maids were my cousins and my sister was my moh 4 of my maids were from out of state but they all had rides back from the reception to where they were staying so that was not a problem 
  • mysticl said:
    Ndelible said:
    Darn! I know the cab companies do not like the car services coming in, but they are quite nice. Recently used Uber in Orlando and it was darn convenient. With Uber you could have arranged for any of your WP that felt they were too buzzed to drive themselves a ride that you could pay for. Best of luck!
    It's actually not the cab companies.  It's the fact that they are violating PA laws regarding operating a business as well as the specific laws regarding vehicle for hire services.  I have a friend who works for the department of the government that is dealing with this and he posts updates and articles about it all the time.  

Uber and Lyft have been ordered to cease a desist, but they are still in operation and people are still using them.

So your friend works for the PUC @mysticl?  I'm curious as to what he thinks about all of the Jitneys that have been operating in Pittsburgh for decades.  They are unlicensed and illegal as fast as the PUC goes too.

Supposedly the PUC is going to recommend to it's board that Uber and Lyft be granted the licenses to operate in Pittsburgh, which would be great.

http://www.post-gazette.com/business/2014/07/23/PUC-bureau-recommends-approval-of-Lyft-Uber-emergency-applications/stories/201407230198

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• jnissa said:
    Well, here is all I'm going to say as a native Pittsburgher - if it's walkable from church to reception, that's one thing. But it's not like this is a city where you can run out and grab a cab and I'm guessing your girls will be in heels. It's also not a city where "closeby" necessarily means "easy to drive to." I was at a wedding last year where the ceremony was at Phipps and the reception was downtown and even though they're technically only 10 minutes apart, it was a nightmare getting people into cars and getting there. If this were a normal city with lots of transportation Yes, our public transportation options suck (and parking) There are a ton of parking garages downtown. . . I've never had an issue with parking in the city to go to an event options I would definitely say you are overthinking it. But in this case you honestly may not be. 

It isn't your job to get them home safely (you've offered a hotel block as an option). But this is a really crappy city to get around in, LOL, no it's not!  It's actually fairly easy and while there is a lot of construction during the summer and there can be traffic- what city doesn't have traffic- there are many alternate routes to get you from Point A to Point B with no problem.  I've lived here for 30 years and I have only ever had issues traveling on 28 during rush hour, or on the Fort Pitt bridge due to a rush hour accident on the other side of the tunnels.  DC, NYC, Boston, Philly, I-95 traffic is so, so much worse than anything you will experience in Pittsburgh.  so I'd re-think possibly getting something to get you all from salon to house to venue to hotel. Those are a lot of stops for people to drive to in a city that may not make it easy (though I don't know your logistics, you may honestly be close to these things). Just DO NOT strand them with cab companies :) If you're willing to skirt the legal line, set up an Uber account and give them all access to it and cover the cost that way.

--------------------------etf: shitty boxes------------------------------------------------

Hi, fellow yinzer bride! :)

Our church & reception aren't in the city, actually.  They're up in Wexford / Warrendale, so it's a straight shot up 79.  

But anyway.  Thank you for all the suggestions!  You guys are so helpful, as always.  @Marzipan13, I don't think it makes any sense to hire transportation for your WP, especially if you and your FI aren't going to be using it with them.

Your WP is scattered all over Pittsburgh, and it sounds like that some don't even actually live in Pittsburgh or the local suburbs, and have already committed to driving up to your salon in Wexford, then to your mom's house to get ready.

Since you aren't traveling far between your ceremony and reception venues, you aren't taking pictures in between, and none of your WP are staying at a hotel in Wexford, what would be the point of chartering a limo?  Where exactly would it take them?

Most local limo companies require a 4 hour minimum rental anyways, plus charge an additional fee to travel outside of a certain mile radius outside Pittsburgh. . . Wexford is a good 20min-30min drive outside of the city so it may require that extra charge.

• jnissajnissa member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I understand your love of 30 years of Pittsburgh, but it's universally considered a terrible town to get around in. Before we moved back here 3 years ago, we lived all over the country and this city is the absolute worst for getting around we've ever experienced. It's actually one of the top three reasons we're planning on leaving as soon as our Fellowships are done. 

If you truly believe there's not a parking shortage in downtown Pittsburgh, then you are among the few. It's pretty well documented even by local government that it's a huge city structure problem. Try having to go to an event down there on the same night as a baseball game. It will take you 45 minutes to find a garage with an open space. Not enough parking for a downtown that's growing. 

No cab companies. Limited bus lines. No underground. The only way to get around is in your car and the parking options are not good. Pittsburgh has many fantastic qualities. Transportation friendly is not one of them. 
  • edited July 2014
    jnissa said:
    I understand your love of 30 years of Pittsburgh, but it's universally considered a terrible town to get around in. Before we moved back here 3 years ago, we lived all over the country and this city is the absolute worst for getting around we've ever experienced. It's actually one of the top three reasons we're planning on leaving as soon as our Fellowships are done. 

If you truly believe there's not a parking shortage in downtown Pittsburgh, then you are among the few. It's pretty well documented even by local government that it's a huge city structure problem. Try having to go to an event down there on the same night as a baseball game. Ok, that's a different subject entirely.  Yes, it's hard to find parking downtown the same night as baseball/football game or major concert on the North Shore.  The casino has greatly improved this issue.  On a regular night with nothing going on across the river?  Not a problem.  It will take you 45 minutes to find a garage with an open space. Not enough parking for a downtown that's growing. 

No cab companies. Limited bus lines. No underground. Yep, the public transportation options suck.  But the drive times and traffic in my opinion aren't as bad as other areas I have been in, as I mentioned above.The only way to get around is in your car and the parking options are not good. Pittsburgh has many fantastic qualities. Transportation friendly is not one of them. 
    I'll take our traffic and parking "issues", and our low cost of living, over other, overpriced cities any day.  It astounds me how much ppl are willing to pay for housing and apartments/condos in other cities. . . and how little they get (size wise) for what they are paying.

• @jnissa. . . forgot to ask, where are you from originally?  You can just say a region if you aren't comfortable sharing the actual city.  I'm just curious!

• @PrettyGirlLost Yes, my friend works for PUC. Right now his focus has been on Lyft and Uber but his overall philosophy is anyone who is operating a vehicle for hire service should be complying with the law. My understanding is that there isn't a problem with issuing them the license provided they comply with the law. The big thing is they moved into town (and others besides the 'Burgh) and set up shop without applying for a license. Personally, I never had major issues with the public transit system when I lived there. The place I went next had a much more limited system. I seriously miss the 'Burgh. I'd kill for an ultimate mushroom from Uncle Sams.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards