Wedding Party

Gift for not so girly bridesmaids?

mocarski002mocarski002 member
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment 5 Love Its
edited July 2014 in Wedding Party
So, I know I've read to shop like its their birthdays but I need some ideas. Two of my bridesmaids are not so girly. One is pretty athletic - works in college sports. She's a writer so I am thinking some stationary or a journal of some sort. The other works as a camp counsler.She does a lot of hiking and things like that. Any suggestions for these two?

Re: Gift for not so girly bridesmaids?

• Hm. For me, when I give gifts, I try to go above and beyond what someone would normally buy for themselves.  If someone is a writer, I might buy a really fancy/quality pen or a really unique journal (I saw some beautiful hand-made, leather-bound journals at a Lit Fest once).  For active women, if they normally work out in Champion-brand clothes, upgrade to some Lululemon or Athleta.  In my opinion, that way, the gift isn't just something else that's interchangeable with their normal everyday stuff, but something extra special.

• Depends on your budget. I'd consider getting a tablet you can write in/create for the writer. 

I love to hike and my favorite hiking accessory right now is my camelbak water/day pack:

There are less expensive options for that item if you're looking to spend a little less.
    *********************************************************************************

• slothiegalslothiegal member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    Former camp counselor (and just in general outdoorsy gal) here!

I second the Camelbak suggestion; I'm personally a huge fan of mine.  I know some people don't like the valve (looking at you, FI), but I love it.

For my bridal shower, FI's aunt got me a couple of LuminAID lights, which I had never heard about before and is kind of a neat idea.  It's solar-powered and flat, so it's light and easy to pack, but then inflates to be as bright as a lantern.  They also have an option where you can buy one and another is donated to a country in need.

Does she camp?  Another gift I got (I think this one was at an engagement party) was a set of collapsible, plastic wine glasses.  Super easy to pack, and durable.

I'm also a huge fan of my Leatherman and carry it almost everywhere.  (You know important business people who have their phones strapped on them at all times?  Yeah, that's me with my multi-tool.)  There are also lots of different kinds, so you can get a less complex one if you want to spend a little less (don't know your budget--there are also way more complex ones if you want to go all out!).

Those are some quick thoughts off the top of my head....I'll keep thinking though!  (Have to stop for now, otherwise I'm going on an online shopping spree.)

ETA because words are difficult for me before I have coffee.
    Anniversary

• If she's really outdoorsy, it's substantially likely she already has a Camelback.  

At this point in my life, I prefer gifts I can use up, experience, eat, or drink.  I have enough stuff to store in my tiny loft.  My favorite presents are experiences--going out to a new restaurant, going to some fun fitness activity (last night, my MOH and I went to an aerial silks class at a cirque academy!), or going to something like a concert/museum/etc.  

A pen falls into the category of clutter.  More crap you have to put in a drawer.  It may have been a traditional graduation gift, etc. in another day, but now people type, blog, etc.  A journal likely does, too.  
  • mysticl said:
    How about a National Park pass for the hiker?
    Yes!! This.
    *********************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards