Attire & Accessories Forum

Anyone experience problems with Brides by Demetrios??

Hi everyone,
    I don't know if anyone has had a bad experience with Brides by Demetrios, but I certainly have.  It all began from the moment I walked into the store (Cherry Hill, NJ).  I walked in with my bridal party at the supposed scheduled time and day.  When the sales associate checked in their schedule book, my appointment was never registered into their schedule.  Mind you, I called a month before to schedule the appointment and had scheduled it via a store manager.  Luckily, they had someone without an appointment at that time so we were attended by Michelle.  She was very nice and helpful when we were in search of the dresses.  We were even able to find a dress for my mom! However, once we got to the point of getting everyone's measurements, things got a little sketchy.  The sales associates insisted that the girls order dress sizes that were larger than their normal dress size.  We all know that formal dresses run smaller than the normal store dress.  However, these sizes seemed extra larger than usual.  Another issue we encountered when ordering the dresses was that one dress was charged for extra length. When my friend found out, she called to have the charge removed, she's average height and certainly did not need extra length on her dress.  It took 2 weeks to finally have someone re-do her order, and then and only then were they able to place the order for the 4 bridesmaids dresses. 
      Four months later when the dresses finally arrive, the dresses are really loose on everyone.  One of my bridesmaid's dress is abnormally huge.  It's so big that she can fit her arms inside the dress and still doesn't stay on her!  We all called the store to find out what they could do.  We were hoping for a dress in her actual size to be rushed ordered to the store. All we were offered was 50% off the alteration (just to take it in).  She was already charged EXTRA for that size she ordered, now they're charging her to take that fabric off! I just don't understand how this way of conducting business is allowed.  They cower behind the signature they make you place on a piece of paper stating that you agree to order that size.  How can you not sign the paper when you have 2 sales people telling you that's your size, if you order a size smaller it'll be too small...
       My friend took her dress to the store to show the manager that she was not exaggerating about how large her dress is.  Still there, after almost 3 hours of talking to them and dealing with alterations, no one apologized, no one acknowledged that it was too big, and still she had to pay for their mistake.  The only person who recognized the mistake was the seamstress, and only when the manager was not around.  I'm just appalled.  It seems that they purposely order dresses larger than normal in order to reap the benefits of alterations.  Alterations are expected, of course, that is not my complaint.  However, paying extra for a larger than normal size, and then having to pay extra to take all that unnecessary fabric is just wrong! If you've had a similar or different experience with Brides by Demetrios please vent ☺ If you skimmed to the end of this, my message is don't go to Brides by Demetrios! 

Re: Anyone experience problems with Brides by Demetrios??

• That sucks.  You could report them to the BBB and leave bad reviews online, but otherwise I don't think there's much you can do.
  • I would explain all this in an email to a manager of some sort.  If they won't give your money back, I would tell them if they don't remedy the mistake by either doing the alterations for free or refunding you, tell them you have no choice but to leave poor reviews and let other brides know about it and report them to the BBB.

As a super duper last resort, you could post about it on their FB page or Tweet about it.  That frequently gets help. (Although this really should be a last resort.  Give them as many chances as possible to make it right before doing that.)
  • I'm so sorry to hear that you've had such a bad experience. I had a terrible experience buying my own gown, so I can only imagine how much it's amplified by having to deal with all your ladies' dresses as well. I'd stick with trying to get the dress refunded or replaced. If you take a dress in too much you often lose the shape or the drape of the fabric. I always order my formal gowns one size up, just in case, but being forced to buy something several sizes larger makes you and your BM a victim of some very dodgy business practices. I think you've got some really good options here. Calling the corporate office, as suggested in PP is a great idea; you might find that the store manager doesn't have a lot of room to accommodate you (even if she is responsible for the situation you now find yourself in) but someone higher up in the company can hopefully sort things out really quickly. Companies hate bad press, so if you feel as though your concerns aren't being taken seriously, by all means tell them that you intend to contact the BBB and leave honest reviews on every website you can find. I'm not sure why contacting them through social media is a last resort. I've had friends sort out all sorts of issues that way. I really wish you the best of luck with this. I hope it turns out to be something you can have resolved really quickly.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards