Chit Chat

Can we move all the annoying coworkers to an island and us cool people can work together?

kaos16kaos16 member
First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
edited July 2014 in Chit Chat

I know this is petty, but it's more of a vent/rant.  My coworker in the office next to me is driving me bonkers this week more so than usual.

I have issues with her often.  She snaps her gum so loud all the time that I can hear it in my office (not cubicles, real walls).  She has insanely loud yelling conversations with her friends, laughing and joking, when I have victims in on sensitive matters (I have spoken to her about that a few times)

This week though, I want to scream. . . .. I get in about 10-15 minutes early everyday, she comes in 5-10 minutes late (her problem, not mine). When she shows up she comes into my office, plops down in one of my chairs and begins applying her makeup at my desk.  This morning I purposely made myself scarce when she came in so she wouldn't come in here.  I am avoiding my own office!

She is also back in the dating pool for the first time in many years which means that I get to here all of her latest date stories. . . She becomes obsessed quite quickly with people, and she asks questions for validation, and because she is super insecure, which is fine, but not all day every day!  She was telling me some story about a guy she met online and had sex with, starting the story by saying "don't say anything to anyone, you are the only person at work I am telling"  1.  We are not close like that.  2. I then heard her telling the same story to three other people starting with the same line.  I think she is doing it for attention.

When is wine thirty!?

Re: Can we move all the annoying coworkers to an island and us cool people can work together?

• I don't understand people who do their makeup, hair, etc at work or school or a restaurant or wherever the fuck they do it. Get ready before you leave your fucking house.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I have a lovely 2 months reprieve from one of my bosses at the moment.  I am hoping and praying she gets another position over the summer, which very well may happen.  

• I sit out in a cube but the girl that annoys me is all the way in an office.  She constantly blares country music (not my taste but whatever) but then sings just as loud as the music playing on the computer.  It sounds like a cat in a garbage disposal.  We all just kind of roll our eyes at her.  I'm hoping someone will say something about it soon.

I would open my big mouth but I'm still too new here.  And she already doesn't like me.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • kaos16kaos16 member
    AddieCake said:
    I don't understand people who do their makeup, hair, etc at work or school or a restaurant or wherever the fuck they do it. Get ready before you leave your fucking house.

I'm with you. . . . I think it is so tacky.  I actually have asked her if she ever thought of doing her makeup at home.  Her response was that she just doesn't have time if she wakes up early enough to get to work quasi-ontime she prefers playing online scrabble.
  • I want wine-thirty too!!  I can't believe you are avoiding your own office, lol.  She sounds like a total gem!

I'm just not thrilled to be at work today.  My one coworker is coughing constantly (not hacking up a lung, but basically just clearing her throat every 5 seconds) and my other coworker tried to engage me in a conversation but I just didn't have the energy.  I just put on soothing rain sounds an an effort to drown out the din of the office.....
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• kaos16kaos16 member
    And as for the sexcapades, maybe i'm just a prude in this sense but I believe your sex life is personal. . . . I don't discuss that with my close friends, nor do I inquire about theirs.  I feel like that's private between you and whomever you are having sex with.
  • Ugh I have some annoying ones too. 2 people in my office are chronic nail-clippers. One of these is also constantly hocking up phlegm. It grosses me out to no end! And finally, there's the woman that laughs loudly and hysterically on EVERY FREAKING phone call. I want to punch them all!

• I'm all over this movement.  I work with one of the WORST people.  She thinks she runs the office and it drives me crazy.  This is the same co-worker that asks me daily about what I'm eating because I'm supposed to be on a diet.
  • Oh man. I feel your pain. We used to have a girl in my office that sounds just like your coworker. Luckily she got fired. Girl was a hot mess all the time and thought she could get away with whatever, which she did for a long time. So happy when they let her go. I don't think she actually did any work during the day, just sat in her office on the phone.

The rest of my coworkers are awesome, which is great. My last job had about the worst collection of employees you could find. I don't even like thinking about it.

• This all about respecting people and respecting their privacy. It's speshul snowflakes at work. Ug.
  • I like most of the people I work with, except my assistant drives me crazy. i'm 23, she's in her 70's. I've been at this job 7 months, she's been here 14 years. She always tries to tell me things I need to be doing. She questions everything I ask her to do. She complains all the time about the camps kids here (we are a community center and mostly deal with seniors). I'm like no, I'm your boss, I don't need to explain to you why I make every decision, I don't need to justify myself, you don't tell me what to do.

• SBminiSBmini member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    The lack of professionalism is just off the walls! How does she have a job?

I just moved away from the chatty group that was driving me crazy. I couldn't take it any more. Every day for about an hour when they first got in, an hour around noon, then from 4-5 they were just off the walls. People called it the "Happy Hour Group" and said they knew when it was 4 pm when they heard them start up. They were always talking about the most unprofessional stuff- celebrities, clothes, sex, etc in their outside voices. I complained twice, but nothing happened. So finally, I just demanded to move.

Way happier now. 
  • kaos16kaos16 member
    SBmini said:

I just moved away from the chatty group that was driving me crazy. I couldn't take it any more. Every day for about an hour when they first got in, an hour around noon, then from 4-5 they were just off the walls. People called it the "Happy Hour Group" and said they knew when it was 4 pm when they heard them start up. They were always talking about the most unprofessional stuff- celebrities, clothes, sex, etc in their outside voices. I complained twice, but nothing happened. So finally, I just demanded to move.

Way happier now. 

I'm glad you were able to get away from that!  I would certainly consider myself to be much more of a worker bee than a lot of people in my office.  I kind from the mindset that you go to work to get your work done.  Obviously, I will stop in to chat with a friend/coworker here or there for a minute or two, but not all day!!  If I am friends with someone at work I will go to happy hour with them or out to lunch or dinner and socialize. 
  • SBmini said:

Way happier now. 
    Do we work at the same place?! I'm currently stuck with the chatty group. They are SO loud and always talking about unprofessional stuff. My coworker in the cubicle behind me is really loud, and she always says annoying things. For example, we have a coworker named Pete. She calls him "Pete and Repeat" about 20 times a day. My coworker in front of me is just really loud and complains a lot. And her voice is shrill so that's annoying. I hear someone constantly clipping their nails. It's always around the same time that they flare up, too. Thankfully, they are at lunch so it is nice and quiet for now :)
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• emmaaa said:
    I like most of the people I work with, except my assistant drives me crazy. i'm 23, she's in her 70's. I've been at this job 7 months, she's been here 14 years. She always tries to tell me things I need to be doing. She questions everything I ask her to do. She complains all the time about the camps kids here (we are a community center and mostly deal with seniors). I'm like no, I'm your boss, I don't need to explain to you why I make every decision, I don't need to justify myself, you don't tell me what to do.

SIB

When I was around 24, I was brought in as a lead at a job and was given two assistants.  Both had been at the job for 10+ years and were about 20 years older than me.  It was a nightmare.  I can appreciate constructive criticism, especially at a new job where I'm learning the ropes, but it was constant "this is what you should do/you're not doing that right/why do I have to do that?"  

I quit after about a year when I found a new job.  Found out a few months later they were at the center of a child abuse scandal and my assistants were subsequently fired.  So glad to have missed out on that mess.  
    Anniversary

• My office is separated by a closet and a hallway from our receptionist. I can hear her eat everything crunchy. Chips, popcorn, apples...EVERYTHING!! She chomps so loudly and of course with her mouth open.

She also plucks her eyebrows in the bathroom. At least 1-2 days a week I see eyebrow hairs in the sink when I'm washing my hands. 

Another little fun fact...we have a client who has extreme issues with smells. There is an air freshener in our bathroom that I know gives her a headache. When I know this client is coming in, I go and take that freshener out of the bathroom and prop the door open with the garbage can. Receptionist went in and used the bathroom without closing the door!! Granted the bathroom is at the end of a short hall and the toilet area is separated by a divider from the rest of the bathroom/outside door but it is only a single stall bathroom AND SHE LEFT THE DOOR OPEN!! The break room is at the other end of the short hallway which is how I came to learn this little tid bit. 
    *msstaticfancypants*
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • emmaaa said:
    I like most of the people I work with, except my assistant drives me crazy. i'm 23, she's in her 70's. I've been at this job 7 months, she's been here 14 years. She always tries to tell me things I need to be doing. She questions everything I ask her to do. She complains all the time about the camps kids here (we are a community center and mostly deal with seniors). I'm like no, I'm your boss, I don't need to explain to you why I make every decision, I don't need to justify myself, you don't tell me what to do.

SIB

When I was around 24, I was brought in as a lead at a job and was given two assistants.  Both had been at the job for 10+ years and were about 20 years older than me.  It was a nightmare.  I can appreciate constructive criticism, especially at a new job where I'm learning the ropes, but it was constant "this is what you should do/you're not doing that right/why do I have to do that?"  

I quit after about a year when I found a new job.  Found out a few months later they were at the center of a child abuse scandal and my assistants were subsequently fired.  So glad to have missed out on that mess.  
    I haven't been here long and I feel so guilty for looking for another job. I work over an hour away from my house and it isn't EXACTLY what I want to do. But the job is in my field so I want to build up experience. I've decided to at least wait until after the my wedding (since I already have vacation time built up) to look seriously. FI and I want me to be closer to home by the time we start thinking about kids which will be about 1 year after the wedding. However, if something really good comes up that I can't pass up, I'll take it.

• kaos16kaos16 member
    OMG, she just told a random secretary about the crotchless panties she got for a date. . . and is upset that the secretary told a male coworker. Really?! Keep that shit under wraps. . . in all respects. Where is the WINE!!!
  • One person I work close to eats at his desk and it sounds like he is loudly eating mushy glue.  He could be eating Doritos and it would still sound like glue.  I have a really hard time with it :(  He is the loudest mushy glue eater I have ever heard.

Sweetest guy ever.  Love him.  But .....mushy sounds.  So gross.

• One person I work close to eats at his desk and it sounds like he is loudly eating mushy glue.  He could be eating Doritos and it would still sound like glue.  I have a really hard time with it :(  He is the loudest mushy glue eater I have ever heard.

Sweetest guy ever.  Love him.  But .....mushy sounds.  So gross.
    Hearing people eat is one of my biggest pet peeves. I HATE the sound of it and the noises...ughh...I feel sick already thinking about it.

• I am on day three of tuberculosis watch.  Cough cough cough.  It doesn't help that I play Plague Inc: Evolved and all I can think of is disease transmission.  Get a lozenge for fucks sake!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards