Snarky Brides

Am I a bridezilla?

2»

Re: Am I a bridezilla?

• My sister is the bridezilla of my wedding. She's demanding that I hire a makeup artist who would have to travel from Chicago (our wedding is in Michigan) and charges a *STARTING* fee of $500. My sister said I have to require all of the bridesmaids to split this cost with me, and they all must get their makeup done by this person or else they're going to "look ugly in the photos." I told her that's rude, and one of the girl's is a teacher and new mom so she's on a tight budget and I will not force her to pay for that kind of nonsense. My sister told me that requiring them to do this is totally reasonable and expected. She's been a big bitch about it. 

Clearly she's been WRONG! I'm so glad I read these message boards. And no, I will not be hiring a $500 makeup artist, nor will I "require" my BMs to have their makeup professionally done. Gag. 
  • I am sorry, OP, but the very fact that this even bothers you makes you a BRIDEZILLA.  Relax.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I just had to go back and look at my wedding pictures to see if my girls were wearing make up. They were with me all day long on the wedding day and I don't even remember them putting make up on. After a picture check, they were wearing make up and they all looked beautiful. I knew they looked gorgeous that day, but it clearly wasn't because they had their make up done. I promise this seems like a big deal now, but when your wedding day comes it won't even be on your radar. It will be so insignificant. 
  • kasmith1 said:
    If you require your BM to get hair and make up done, you should pay for it. If you require specific shoes, you should pay for them. If you require specific jewelry, you should pay for it. None of these things should be considered their gift. My BM are getting their makeup done, but it's totally optional, as is hair. I offered to book them an appointment with my MUA, but it is not required. They are wearing shoes they already own. They are styling their hair in a way that they chose. They are picking their own jewelry or using jewelry they already own. These are differences between being a demanding bride and being a relaxed bride.
    My bridesmaids are actually great and amazingly simple. They want to make life easier by me being that demanding bride. I don't want to be that. I am buying their jewelry for them as a gift, but I'm allowing them to pick it out for themselves before I purchase it. They all want to get their makeup done by the same girl because she's amazing. The shoes they are getting customized they voted on and everyone wanted them from the beginning. They aren't required (did I mention they are really cute) and when I say customized I mean essentially decorated. I am not requiring anything. I just want everyone to look nice. (they want me to require these things)
    Still shouldn't be considered their gift because it is something that you are requiring they wear during your wedding.

As for the make-up issue, why the hell does it matter who does the makeup and what the makeup looks like?  Seriously, it is their faces so it is their choice as to who puts makeup on their face and how that makeup looks.  Now if you were paying for their makeup then you have a right to say that they have to use your makeup artist.  But if they don't want to use your makeup artist they have every right to find one they like and pay for it themselves.

I just don't get the point of getting so freaking worked up over someone else's makeup.  Talk about a waste of time.

• AM I a bridezilla? - If you have to ask....you probably are.
  • Are you? If you really really really care about who puts the mascara on somebody else's eyelashes, then yep, you might be on that road. Don't do it. You can decorate tables and foyers and chairs and ceilings and whatever else, and what you want goes. You're well within your rights. 
    But not people. Not people's faces. You don't get to choose how people are decorated.
  • I just wanted to respond to say that I do indeed have a friend who rocks electric blue eye shadow. 

She's not a bridesmaid, but even if she were, I wouldn't tell her to wear something natural colored to achieve a certain look. It's just not her.  I also wouldn't ask her to tame her Carrie Bradshaw curls into anything remotely matching what other BMs hair can do. 

I'm boggled by the need to use the SAME make-up artist. I believe I know the original thread OP is talking about

• I spent many years as a professional makeup artist for multiple brands and many more years as a freelance makeup artist, and I can't remember a single wedding where I noticed a bridesmaid's makeup. The bride? Yes. But anyone else? Unless they were wearing electric blue eyeshadow and dayglo orange foundation, they weren't even a blip on my radar. My BMs, mom, and I all did our own makeup for my wedding and I still really have no idea what everyone's makeup looked like unless I look at the pictures, not even my own!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• The simple answer has already been stated...
    If you want them to all have the same make up - you have to pay for it.
    You can't demand them to pay for it when they can do it themselves.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards