Wedding Etiquette Forum

What to do about the cake...

2»

Re: What to do about the cake...

• I'm going to vote for #1 because it seems like you're giving preferential treatment, in the most bizarre of cake ways. I know a lot of folks do the small cake, prepped sheet, and that could very well work out to the same price as cupcakes. 

Or, you could be weird like us - we're having a "cake" made of stacked wheels of cheese. This just suits us better. So, our guests will have the option to have a cheese plate (nuts, honey, fruit, cheese, etc.) for dessert or have cupcakes, brownies, cookies, etc. we'll have put out. Significantly lower in price than your average wedding cake.
    I so wish we had thought of this!! Sounds delish!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Wow, thanks for all of the responses! As far as the cupcakes being messy thing - I usually put them upside down in the little cup holder and eat everything but the frosting, because I hate frosting. FI is not a fan of it either, which is why we're going with a naked cake.

That's also part of the reason we were considering doing cupcakes or a sheet cake for our guests, because I know that most people like frosting and I wouldn't want to deprive them of it just because we don't like it.

Another reason we were considering a small cake for us is because I was advised that, for our more mature and traditional guests, cutting the cake is a sign that the main festivities are over, and that it would be an indication of when to leave if you're not up for dancing and carrying on.

And of course, I was also thinking about cost. Cupcakes wouldn't cost us anything; I would bake them and FI's mom would decorate them. A sheet cake wouldn't be very much and the same, big cake for everyone would obviously be more expensive. Our friends also really love dessert, so I'd feel bad getting them a cake that had small serving sizes. 

I'll research a little more and let you guys know what we decide. Thanks for the feedback!
  • *input, rather. not feedback
  • I think that having a cake to cut with your husband is important! I would have a small cake for the both of you, and then cupcakes for everyone else. The wedding party doesn't need special cake. :) It will help you to save money, and I think it will be the best option!
  • I think it would be best to go with a sheet cake in the back, but that's due to the rudeness of some guests at my friends wedding. Some ten-ish year old girl went to the cake table immediately after dinner and took a cupcake, and soon a lot of guests were taking them. When my friend finally cut her small cake, almost all the cupcakes had been eaten already. While it's not horrible (and is totally the guests fault, not the couple's), it still kinda sucked. The cutting of the cake is what I usually consider the "okay" to get cupcakes. And I didn't get a cupcake because I was polite and waited :( Of course, I've been to one other wedding where cupcakes were served, and nobody took them early, so I guess it depends on your guests!
  • melbenso said:
    beethery said:
    omfg I saw a cheese cake thing in Southern Living and have been obsessed ever since. SO MUCH BRIE. SO MUCH WONDERFUL BRIE. Life goals.
    I was recently at a wedding where one of the main appetizers was a GIANT (like foot in diameter) wheel of baked brie.  When that one ran out, they brought out a second one! 

I had to go to the complete opposite side of the venue to stop my self from standing at the appetizer table and shoveling brie directly into my mouth.
    @melbenso This is the wedding which I aspire to have.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• So this is interesting. I got the quotes for the options, and getting the small cake to cut with sheet cakes is actually $100 more than the 3-tiered cake! Cupcakes + a small cake is also more expensive. I would have thought it would be the opposite.

What we initially, really wanted to do was to have large rounds of Cold Stone ice cream cake at each table, in different flavors to encourage mingling and etc. But then we remember it's going to be August. Who knew there would be so many details to consider regarding cake?
  • lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I read nothing but the title. But the obvious answer is "Eat it. Definitely eat it. And don't waste any or @AddieCake will find you and cut you."
  • We went the route of a small cake from the grocery store for cutting purposes and then cupcakes galore for the guests!  We made sure that there were PLENTY of cupcakes for each guest to have one of each flavor. I personally had one of each and they were amazing.  We also had a dessert table that was a huge hit. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The smaller cake. Having enough for the WP only is icky.

If you do the sheet cake route like some are suggesting PLEASE make sure the sheet cake is the same cake as the wedding cake. I just went to a wedding where there was wedding cake and sheet cake, because the wedding cake was only big enough to feed about 1/3 of the guests. The guests on either side of my seat got some lovely vanilla almond white cake with a lime filling, and then they place a chunk of grocery store yellow cake with no filling and that really over-sweet frosting in front of me. WHAT THE HELL?

I was pretty miffed. I freaking love lime and vanilla almond flavors, and the people on either side of me got tasty swiss meringue buttercream and I got the gritty over sweet stuff I scrape off. I wouldn't have minded if we all got the same cake.

• ;

...but we're also completely prepared for someone to be that guy and shout that we're "cutting the cheese" at our wedding. 
    I'm not that guy that would yell it but I'm totally that girl that thinks it. Haha apparently I'm a 17 year old boy who giggles about you cutting the cheese. It's an awesome idea though!
    And OP, definitely option 1. My best friend had cupcakes but wanted something to cut so i made her a small cake for just her and her husband. It worked out perfectly.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards