Wedding Etiquette Forum

What fabric should I pick for my bridesmaids dresses?

A close friend has offered to make a silk gown for me and I'm not sure what fabric I should pick for the bridesmaid's dresses... the wedding is next July, I was thinking that chiffon would be the lightest and most comfortable but not sure how that will look with the silk. Has anyone else used this combination?

Thanks!

-Lindsay

Re: What fabric should I pick for my bridesmaids dresses?

• A close friend has offered to make a silk gown for me and I'm not sure what fabric I should pick for the bridesmaid's dresses... the wedding is next July, I was thinking that chiffon would be the lightest and most comfortable but not sure how that will look with the silk. Has anyone else used this combination?

Thanks!

-Lindsay
    The fabrics don't really matter.  I had a chiffon dress and all my BMs had satin dresses.  I was also just in a wedding where the bride had silk and us BMs chose all different fabric types in DBs Marine.  I had a satin cotton dress and the other BMs had satin, chiffon, and lace.  We all blended well together and it worked.  There really is no wrong answer.
  • saacjwsaacjw member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    Chiffon will look fine with silk. Silk comes in various forms of shiny-ness (for lack of a better word), but it really won't make a huge difference one way or another. I've had several silk dresses and they would all look ok near a chiffon one, especially my wedding dress. The bigger concern for looking right is to just make sure the level of formality is consistent. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would worry less about how the fabrics will look together, and more about the level of formality matching your event.  Long length is more formal than short; satin is more formal than chiffon, which is more formal than cotton.  And as long as the dresses sort of "look right" to your eye, they will be fine next to your wedding dress.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• I had a lace dress, and two bridesmaids wore chiffon, the other two wore satin. It looked fine.

Anniversary
  • This is a good question for your bridesmaids. What kind of dresses do they want to wear?
  • I should have mentioned where my question is really coming from - I bought a chiffon dress off of eBay for $150 (couldn't resist at that price!) and then my best man/bridal attendant offered to make a silk gown for me! I assigned each girl a different shade of blue from David's Bridal and was planning on having each girl pick out a short style, chiffon dress in her specific color. All of the sudden I got nervous about how chiffon would look with silk. I have a group of SUPER easy girls, they'll wear whatever I ask them to but was concerned about the fabrics clashing. It sounds like everyone agrees that it will look fine - thank you all for your input!!
  • I let my bridesmaids pick the fabric and the individual styles of their wedding dresses.  I just picked the color.  They picked satin, knee length dresses.  Which looked just fine with my lace dress (with satin underlay).  Unless leather or burlap are bridesmaids dress fabric options, I don't think you need to worry too much about fabrics clashing with your dress. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards