Chit Chat
Options

Does a small marijuana plant make a good wedding favor?

2»

Re: Does a small marijuana plant make a good wedding favor?

• Options

lyndausvi said:

Stuff like this makes me so uncomfortable. Being a Colorado native, it is hard to convince people that not all of us love us some weed! FI and I would absolutely leave if this was a "favor".

Seriously, the world thinks everyone in CO is high and stoned. I never see it or smell it. Sure people do, but it's not like there is some cloud of pot smoke hovering over our town. My relationship with pot is like my relationship with say Gin or fishing equipment. I know where to buy the products if I want, but since it's something I don't use I don't think about them.
    No joke. Ever since it became legal, I feel like everyone constantly asks me if I've tried it, how often I smoke, etc. Clearly, there's nothing anyone in CO does except ski, hike, and get stoned. 

I can't go near it for job purposes, which people also don't seem to understand.

Now, I will say though, it was extremely rare night that my grad school friends and I went out to a bar and didn't smell/see it. But honestly, I'd smell it back home in MO half the time when we went out too. 
  • Options
    FH and I were talking about this earlier. We have no issue with other people smoking, but it is not something we partake in. We would be angry and pretty hurt if we went to a wedding with a pot infused cake (one of the ideas in that article) and where people were giving away other pot-related items. He works in a bank and could be fired if he were to test positive for a drug test, so it's something he likes to avoid when possible. I don't know, I would just find this a bit rude.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    JennyColadaJennyColada member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    I would feel so uncomfortable that I would choose to leave the wedding. And then I'd probably be upset and angry that my friend put me in such a position. I would imagine that this would be a friendship ending move for me, because I'd feel as though they were being openly disrespectful of my personal choices. I suppose less so it if were just in decorations and not given out as favors, but I'd still likely opt to leave the wedding.
  • Options
    Smoke it if you got it, I guess, but seriously? As a favor? That's klassy.... I'd imagine bride and groom would have plenty to take home with them.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I'm out of the marijuana closet, and thoroughly unashamed. I've been an occasional recreational smoker for...meh. Many years. 

And I agree that the article is a piece of fluff, and the theme is silly, and really bad idea for a  favor.

But just some thoughts. In the interest of fairness. 

The whole moral judgment thing. Please. There are people who are morally opposed to alcohol. Plenty of them. But would you say you shouldn't have wine at a wedding, because some people are morally opposed? Moral judgment shouldn't be a factor. Good etiquette and good taste should. Judge away. (I did, and found the people in the article silly and theme happy, which always makes me roll my eyes. But if they were orchid growers? Or winery owners, would I have judged them as hard? Probably not.) 

Thought two. Language. I don't really think everyone who enjoys a toke, or a few, should be referred to as a "stoner" or "pothead." ( Not just on this thread,but every thread where the subject has come up.) I don't think that's any different than calling someone who drinks a "wino"or a "drunk." Let's not lump everyone into one big negative classification. I'm a person who enjoys getting a little high. And occasionally a little more high. Responsible adult smokers have to deal with negative reputations. We're lazy. We're bad conversationalists. We're irresponsible, and don't contribute to society, because we're all too busy sitting around doing absolutely nothing but being baked. False. Let's please be more respectful with our language.

One of my favorite letters to Miss Manners was someone asking what on earth they should say if they were offered marijuana at a party. Her answer was priceless. The Gentle Reader should say Yes, please, or No, thank you, and that she hoped they were not asking her for a moral judgment, because Miss Manners is not in the morals business. 

Again, manners über alles. And good common sense. 

If you live in a legal state, and you're offering marijuana in the same way you would offer cigars or any smokable, make sure that your guests have a well ventilated smoking area far enough away to avoid upsetting those who have smoke issues. Many people do.

Like candy in preschool, don't bring it unless you have enough to offer everyone. 

Just like alcohol, keep it the hell away from children, and don't make it accessible to them. Behind the bar, please, or equivalent. Teenagers especially can be sneaky little bastards, with either alcohol or weed. (Don't confuse the issue with candy or cookie look alike "medibles" which is a stoopid word anyway, and a genuinely terrible idea if kids are around. They are also inferior baked goods, and that's a terrible thing to do to a lovely brownie.)

Be sensitive to the fact, that even in legal states, some people will have very uptight and judgmental opinions. Be discreet, and sensitive about offending people. If you have a friend that works for the DEA or FBI (I have both) a polite word of mouth to let them know that smoking will be present, so they can decide if it's a job compromising/unacceptable situation. 

If you find yourself in a job compromising situation, politely make your position known to your hosts, (I'm sorry, we would love to stay longer, but my job with the FBI requires that I never be around drug use. But we've had a lovely time, and thank you for inviting us)  and politely leave if you must.  Yes, they should have politely let you know beforehand, but it doesn't call for moral judgments or rudeness. 

Like any other controlled substance, be personally responsible. Don't drive if you're intoxicated. 
    I support your right, as an adult, to drink alcohol or smoke weed in whatever quantities you deem socially acceptable. Your decision. I do not support your right to get behind the wheel of a car. I will descend on you like the fires of holy hell. Your right to be intoxicated stops exactly where my right to live safely begins. 

Whoops. Too long, I'll step off my soapbox.

::golf claps::

I apologize for my use of stoner.  I know a lot of  pot smokers.  Some of them run million dollar businesses.  They are no different to me than the person who drinks wine at dinner.  

Maybe because I do live in CO now but I'm not nearly as uncomfortable around pot as I use to be. I know for a fact it's the legality issue that drives my comfortableness.   I don't smoke and I'm not really around it.   However, since it is legal here,  there is a possibility there will be pot around at a house party the same way there might be alcohol.   Doesn't mean everyone smokes, but there is always the possibility and I'm okay with that.

In other states I get this uneasy feeling around pot smokers.   Simply because I do not want to be in trouble because it's illegal (I use to have a USCG license and I could lose my job).

On another note, this PSA (clicky) cracks me up.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    ohannabelleohannabelle member
    First Answer First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    @lyndausvi:
    Yep, that's funny. I also laughed hard at the Seattle Police Department last year, at Hempfest. They launched "Operation Orange Fingers," to educate festival goers on the new laws. Printed on stickers on bags of Doritos. 
    Now, that's good PR at work. 
    imageimageETA: Sometimes, I love my city. 
  • Options
    That's awesome @ohannabelle

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I didn't read all these responses but I assume mostly if not all were negative? I laugh because my little sister said her and BF are waiting to get married until weed is legalized in our state (only a few years away by the way things have been going), she mentioned wanting plants as their centerpieces and I don't really remember what else as I kind of stopped lsitening....

Anniversary
  • Options
    Even by the pro- legalization and tolerance crowd ( Uhm. I think that's me ) it seems agreed that this is an all around damned silly idea.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards