Wisconsin

Help Regarding Bar Service Timeline.

Hi everyone,
My wedding package with our caterer allows for 6 total hours of bar time. 

We're doing 1 hour (hosted open bar) during the cocktail appetizer time (potentially from 4:30 to 5:30PM)

Then the question is:  when to start the remaining 5 hours?

5:30 to 6:00    Guests enter ballroom, wedding party grand entrance, toasts, cake cutting.
6:00 to 7:15    Buffet dinner (plus plated salads and plated cake)
After 7:15, we'll have our first dance, and then general merriment, photobooth, and dancing!

So assuming we have the ballroom open until midnight, where in the above timeline should we begin the 5 hours of bar service (just hosted beer, wine, and soda...cash bar for the rest)?

The thought was maybe to start it at 6:00 till 11:00, otherwise people might get irritated that their drinks are empty after the cocktail hour?

Your thoughts please?

Re: Help Regarding Bar Service Timeline.

• edited December 2011
    I'd probably just have the 6 hours run from 4:30-10:30 and then end the recepion at 11. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • leah2489leah2489 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It depends on how late your reception is going to be. If you want it to end at midnight, then I would say open the bar back up at aroung 6:30 or 7. I know at my venue they stop serving drinks 30 min before the end of the reception, so that would give you 1 hour from 4:30-5:30, then 5 hours from 6:30 to 11:30. If they don't have that restriction then you could do 7-12 instead. Hope this helps!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I recommend you shut the bar down for one hour from 6 pm - 7pm. This timeframe is dinner anyhow so everyone is occupy eating or waiting to go to the buffet. The hour definitely goes by fast and you'll still have five hours left (7 pm - 12 am) for the guests to enjoy.
    I've gone to several weddings that have done this and it works out great. Also, if you're having a champagne toast that's alcohol the guests can drink too.

Good Luck!
  • jberg134jberg134 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_wisconsin_regarding-bar-service-timeline?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:118Discussion:ddeb1f45-314d-41d9-8814-63c78e5c8e2fPost:7f33c8ce-6eb0-40a6-b069-8a3a2ad7cd63">Re: Help Regarding Bar Service Timeline.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'd probably just have the 6 hours run from 4:30-10:30 and then end the recepion at 11. 
    Posted by Wiscisbliss[/QUOTE]

This is likely what I would do as well.  No matter what I would close the bar 30 min. before the end of the reception.
    September 2011 Siggy Challange: Honeymoon!
    image 145 Made the cut!
    image 59 Are ready to celebrate! image 23 Are missing out! image 65 Don't know the meaning of RSVP!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    It turns out that we have to have last call at 11:30 so things will work out just fine.

Thanks all for your recommendations and advice!
  • edited December 2011
    Let's be honest, it is Wisconsin :) I would advise having drinks from 6-11. That way people have some time to sober up before driving home. We are also serving a late night snack at 10:30 to soak up some of the alcohol. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards