Chit Chat

Fiance Got Fired...

Yesterday.  His boss fired him.  Why? Because he refused to give in the 50 bucks that was missing from a till that he wasn't even working on.

FI is an assistant manager at a fast food place. One of the tills on his shift (he doesn't handle the tills) was short 250 bucks.  So his boss said all the managers on shift would have to give 50 bucks to cover the difference.  He called me to ask me to pull out the 50 bucks and drive it over, and I was like, awe hell no. That is illegal on so many levels - your boss can't make you pay back cash till shortages.  What does he tell me? His boss has made him do it before, anywhere from 20 to 150 bucks. I was like :O Are you serious!? So I told him he was NOT to pay it and he got fired. Well, I put my bitchy pants on, went down there with the statute from our labour laws, showed them to his boss. I told him he had literally 30 seconds to give FI his job back or I would be filing a report and a lawsuit .

Not only does FI have his job back, he also has a raise and better hours.  I filed the report anyway. But I was SO mad yesterday.  My bitchy pants get shit done.

Re: Fiance Got Fired...

• OMG I had so many emotions reading this. That is so crazy! Good for you for standing up to this jerk of a boss. I'm glad to hear it worked out for your FI in the end!
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Your bitchy pants makes me very happy.  Good for you!!  Is your FI planning on staying long term, or is he going to start looking for something else??

• He's been looking at other jobs, but trying to find something that pays the same and makes him happier is difficult for him. FI can speak for himself, just my bitchy pants are better than his :P
  • Glad everything was able to get sorted out! That's crazy what his manager expected him to do.
  • scribe95 said:
    I'm glad it worked out for you. This would not have gone over well in my relationship. My husband can speak for himself. 

Ditto this.  I'm way bitchier than my DH, but no way in hell would I do this.  I think DH would feel less of a man.  He's a grown adult, he can handle his own issues.  I'm not his mother.  Not to mention the fact that all his coworkers would probably be laughing at him behind his back.
  • Just to clarify, FI asked me to. I wouldn't have done it if he hadn't asked me.
  • JoanE2012 said:
    Just to clarify, FI asked me to. I wouldn't have done it if he hadn't asked me.

Ahhh, ok.   If your FI and other shift managers have been giving money in the past, why haven't they addressed this with each other and/or the boss?  Large shortages that happen frequently aren't accidents.  Someone is stealing. 
    Would have made a great opportunity to steal before. Take $250, then be super "understanding" when boss says "hey everyone chip in $50 to make this up." Yeah man here you go! Still $200 richer.

• Go, bitchypants! Sometimes, those are the best pants to wear for getting things done!
  • @joane2012  This is the first time his idiot boss put it in a group text message.  No one else had menitoned it to each other because they thought they were singled out.  I know what you're thinking, why hadn't anyone said anything.  I have zero idea.  It doesn't make sense to me either.
  • Sounds like the manager was pocketing that money.
    Happiness is an inside job
  • That is totally inappropriate.
  • loveislouderloveislouder member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    Okay, I understand some of you think what I did was wrong. But what would you have done in a situation where your partner couldn't/wouldn't stand up for themselves? I look at this as a type of abusive situation. Someone stole money, pay the money or threat of termination. It's a vicious cycle that goes down often. If no one is going to say anything, why let it continue? I'm not trying to raise shit here, it's a legitimate question.
  • Just to clarify, FI asked me to. I wouldn't have done it if he hadn't asked me.
    SITB: Bolded that part just in case everyone missed it. Her FI asked her to help him. If my FI asked me to do something like that for him I probably would.

@loveislouder it sounds like someone is pocketing the money.
  • I still wouldn't do it if my partner asked. I'd help research and help him prepare, but no way I'd talk to my spouse's boss.
  • Whats done is done. I think your FI should look for a new job. Even if nothing changes at his job, it was obviously a shitty boss to work for. If stuff does change for the worse, better to get a start on it now then be forced out or fired again (esp. if you live in a work at will state) If he wants to stay at his current job in the end, it never hurts to look.

Anniversary
  • @joane2012  This is the first time his idiot boss put it in a group text message.  No one else had menitoned it to each other because they thought they were singled out.  I know what you're thinking, why hadn't anyone said anything.  I have zero idea.  It doesn't make sense to me either.
    They didn't say anything because they were afraid of losing their jobs and it was clearly a valid fear.  I second the theory that maybe the boss is the one shorting the till, otherwise you would think there would be some sort of investigation to figure out who is stealing or seriously sucks at making change.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In defense of @loveislouder‌ and her FI I have asked the same thing of Fi. We worked together and got a TON of shit for taking time off for an important doctor appointment if mine. Our manager lost his shit because two of us didn't need to be out because of my medical condition. I was a total pushover with this manager and had FI go raise hell for us with research I provided.

Back to the OP I have had similar issues regarding illegal payouts at the restaurant I work for. The owner tries taking it out of our check of we mess up/the kitchen messes up/the customer doesn't like it. I have started documenting each incident; though in a few cases I just split the check pay for the fuck up and eat it.
  • AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    I, too, am curious why YOU went to the boss with the info as opposed to HIM going to the boss with the info. It's great that you helped, but to be the one to actually confront the boss seems odd to me.

I also am struggling with believing he asked you to do it b/c that was not part of your original post, and his initial reaction was to ask you to bring money. And he told you he has paid in before. And then it was YOUR idea to say no. Then he got fired and suddenly it is HIS idea to gather info and stand up to the boss he has never stood up to before? And when the info is gathered it still isn't him who does the standing up?

ETA: And if I worked there as a regular employee and he was my manager, I would now have a hard time taking him seriously as my boss if I found out his fiance had to come in and yell at the bigger boss for him. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards