Chit Chat

I want to watch more wedding movies!

Based on the sounds coming from the living room, I think FI is watching a movie called Liam Neeson Gets Angry...

But we're almost two months out from our wedding and I'm in the mood for some fun wedding flicks! We've seen Four Weddings and a Funeral, Wedding Crashers, Bridesmaids, and My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Also some episodes of My Big Fat American Gypsy Wedding with morbid fascination. There was also a British wedding film called Confetti on HBOGo a few months back that starred Martin Freeman and was hilarious (three couples, one of whom are nudists, compete in a magazine's best wedding contest). I watched I Give It a Year on my own (Rose Byrne, starts with the wedding day and ends up going into their marital issues thereafter).

What other wedding-related movies should we be seeing? Things that aren't too girly (seen 27 Bridesmaids Dresses a few times with friends getting married) that FI and I would both enjoy together?

Re: I want to watch more wedding movies!

• I just want to say I LOVE Martin Freeman and must assume that any movie with him is amazing so now I'm going to find this Confetti movie and watch it!

Personally, I love Father of the Bride with Steve Martin. It's one of my favorite movies. I also like Made of Honor because Patrick Dempsey and SO thought it was okay, it's pretty girly though. I also liked Bride Wars which is also girly. I also just watched About Time which was adorable and not 100% about a wedding but there's one in there and SO actually enjoyed it as well.

• Aray82Aray82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I just want to say I LOVE Martin Freeman and must assume that any movie with him is amazing so now I'm going to find this Confetti movie and watch it!

Personally, I love Father of the Bride with Steve Martin. It's one of my favorite movies. I also like Made of Honor because Patrick Dempsey and SO thought it was okay, it's pretty girly though. I also liked Bride Wars which is also girly. I also just watched About Time which was adorable and not 100% about a wedding but there's one in there and SO actually enjoyed it as well.

SIB: Thanks for the suggestions. I am visiting my sister soon who is getting married in April so I'm sure she'd be down to watch these even if FI isn't. I saw Father of the Bride a long time ago and it'd be fun to watch it now with FI. If I remember it correctly, About Time has a bit of a time travel/science fictiony element that FI would likely be into :)
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    My Best Friend's Wedding
    The Wedding Date
    The Wedding Singer  
    Corpse Bride  (that counts, right? :))
    Muriel's Wedding
    I Love You, Man
    The Five-Year Engagement
    The Knot 
    The Wedding Planner
    License to Wed
    Runaway Bride
    American Wedding
    Monster-in-Law
    So I Married and Axe Murderer
  • FI was pretty happy with Runaway Bride which has always been my favorite. He also really liked revenge of the bridesmaid which was super cheesy, but kinda awesome!
  • Let him watch his man movies, he does not need to watch a bunch of chick flicks just because your wedding is coming up lol

Doeydo pretty much covered them all.

• @afox007  Thank you!  I loved Revenge of the Bridesmaids when I saw it a few years ago, and could not remember what it was called.  Raven sucking on the jordan almonds before spitting them into the favor bags was HILARIOUS and I need to see that again.
  • I love the original Father of The Bride, with Spencer Tracy and Elizabeth Taylor. Fun to see 1950s wedding etiquette in action. 
  • JMalettasJMalettas member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
     What's Your Number is a good movie, and is also featured around a wedding! It would fall closer to comedy, than chick-flick, I'd say. 

Also, who's to say her FI won't want to watch these kind of movies?? My H has me watch all kinds of movies I normally wouldn't prefer. Some I end up liking, and some I don't, but it works both ways. Sometimes he'll even suggest watching chick-flicks he knows I like. I'd definitely suggest the idea, either way! :)

*J
  • I like The In-Laws from way back. I think Meet The Parents is based on that one, can't say I like that one though.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Father of the Bride (the Steve Martin version) has always been one of my favorites. 
  • Father of the Bride (the Steve Martin version) has always been one of my favorites. 
    I need to get that one and the sequel. I haven't watched them in forever and I looooooooove them.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Runaway Bride has always been one of my favorite movies. Also love 27 dresses, wedding planner, wedding crashers, Mamma Mia.... Oh and 5 year engagement. Loooooove that movie!! Not a huge fan of bridesmaids, but people go crazy for that movie.
    imageimage">
  • Aray82Aray82 member
    doeydo said:
    My Best Friend's Wedding
    The Wedding Date
    The Wedding Singer  
    Corpse Bride  (that counts, right? :))
    Muriel's Wedding
    I Love You, Man
    The Five-Year Engagement
    The Knot 
    The Wedding Planner
    License to Wed
    Runaway Bride
    American Wedding
    Monster-in-Law
    So I Married and Axe Murderer
    Ah, nostalgia! I remember seeing So I Married at An Axe Murderer at a sleepover in 6th grade and back then the big draw was that it had a higher rating than my mom allowed me to watch at home. A lot of these I saw a long time ago so it'd be fun to see them again. I'm pretty sure FI hasn't seen most of these either, except we did see American wedding together.
  • Aray82Aray82 member
    Runaway Bride has always been one of my favorite movies. Also love 27 dresses, wedding planner, wedding crashers, Mamma Mia.... Oh and 5 year engagement. Loooooove that movie!! Not a huge fan of bridesmaids, but people go crazy for that movie.
    I loved 5 year engagement too! It was a bit sad/anxiety producing since FI and I are also doing the grad school/academic job market thing, and inevitable one of us will get the primo job and the other will just be moving to go along for the ride :O
  • Aray82Aray82 member
    jenna8984 said:

Let him watch his man movies, he does not need to watch a bunch of chick flicks just because your wedding is coming up lol

Doeydo pretty much covered them all.

Oh, he is such a good sport about watching things with me, even when I can tell he doesn't like them and I tell him we can watch something else: "No, really, this is cool...uh, yeah, let's watch this..." In turn, I accompany him to adaptations of Marvel comics and Tolkien books. It helps that there's a $2 theater in our town so we can afford to treat each other to films that the other wants to see more :P
  • beethery said:
    Father of the Bride (the Steve Martin version) has always been one of my favorites. 
    I need to get that one and the sequel. I haven't watched them in forever and I looooooooove them.

STUCK

I also love, love, LOVE these movies!!!
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• pinkcow13 said:
    beethery said:
    Father of the Bride (the Steve Martin version) has always been one of my favorites. 

STUCK

I also love, love, LOVE these movies!!!
    Honk and Froooonk hahahahaha

OH, I also find myself enjoying NeNe's wedding series (duh). Particularly the finale episode. Tony Conway is a personal hero of mine, and I LOVED how gorgeous her wedding turned out and how FUN the reception looked. I can't get into the other RH wedding series.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• doeydodoeydo member
    Oh, I thought of another one.  The Bachelorette 
  • Moonstruck
    Only You
    The Wedding Singer
    The Birdcage
    Steel Magnolias
    Princess Bride

• Wedding Singer is one of FI and my favorite movies! :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited July 2014
    Classic wedding movies from TCM:

The Catered Affair, 1958,  Bette Davis, Ernest Borgnine

The Pleasure of His Company, 1961, Fred Astaire (not dancing), Debbie Reynolds

June Bride, 1948,  Bette Davis, Robert Montgomery  (Rather shocking when you look at the bride's age!)

The ORIGINAL Father of the Bride, 1950, Spencer Tracey, Elizabeth Taylor (who actually married her first husband shortly afterwards!)

The Clock, 1945, Juldy Garland, Robert Walker (for speshul snowflakes who think a courthouse wedding isn't enough.)

Not so classic, but older:

Betsey's Wedding, 1980,  Alan Alda, Molly Ringwald
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Aray82Aray82 member
    CMGragain said:
    Classic wedding movies from TCM:

The Catered Affair, 1958,  Bette Davis, Ernest Borgnine

The Pleasure of His Company, 1961, Fred Astaire (not dancing), Debbie Reynolds

June Bride, 1948,  Bette Davis, Robert Montgomery  (Rather shocking when you look at the bride's age!)

The ORIGINAL Father of the Bride, 1950, Spencer Tracey, Elizabeth Taylor (who actually married her first husband shortly afterwards!)

The Clock, 1945, Juldy Garland, Robert Walker (for speshul snowflakes who think a courthouse wedding isn't enough.)

Not so classic, but older:

Betsey's Wedding, 1980,  Alan Alda, Molly Ringwald

Didn't even know there was an original FOB before Steve Martin! My movie knowledge mostly begins from the 90s on--sad, I know!
  • Aray82Aray82 member
    @IamTheMommaOfTheBride‌ , my family watches Moonstruck and The Birdcage together at least once a year! Moonstruck often more because of my mom's huge Italian family from Brooklyn.
  • Moonstruck
    Only You
    The Wedding Singer
    The Birdcage
    Steel Magnolias
    Princess Bride

THE BIRDCAGE!!!!! YESSS!

If you have Amazon Prime, it is free on AmazonInstant, YOU ARE WELCOME.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• It's only tangentially related to weddings, but I love love love My Favorite Wife with Irene Dunne and Carey Grant. So funny. Also The Awful Truth and The Philadelphia Story. 
  • Revenge of the Bridesmaids is on Netflix.
    Wasn't bad, kinda funny.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • DH & I watched The Proposal last night.  I forgot how much I love that movie!
  • Aray82Aray82 member
    @sarahbear31, isn't that the one where Betty White and Sanrdra Bullock do a Lil' Jon song? I love that movie!
  • Jumping the Broom
    Best Man
    The Wood
    My Big Fat Greek Wedding
    Monsoon Wedding
    Four Weddings and a Funeral
    Sixteen Candles
    The Wedding Banquet

Happiness is an inside job
  • Rachel Getting Married. No kidding, this has probably one of the most hipster weddings I've ever seen. If for nothing else but laughing your butt off you must watch Rachel Getting Married. Then when you are done, report back to me so we can "Da Fuq" together.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards