Attire & Accessories Forum

Bad Luck to Try on Wedding Ring?

My FI and I had our wedding bands custom made by a friend of his in another state - the same one who made my engagement ring. We sent him our ring sizes and he made the rings and is sending them to us. I want to try on the rings when they arrive to make sure that they are the right size for us instead of finding out at the wedding when we can't slip them on each other's fingers. However, I mentioned this to a family member who subsequently freaked out and proclaimed that it would unleash all sorts of bad luck on our wedding. Is this real? For the sake of superstition, (to which I am more susceptible than normal since marriages in my family don't tend to last), should we not try on the rings?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Bad Luck to Try on Wedding Ring?

• StitelME said:
    My FI and I had our wedding bands custom made by a friend of his in another state - the same one who made my engagement ring. We sent him our ring sizes and he made the rings and is sending them to us. I want to try on the rings when they arrive to make sure that they are the right size for us instead of finding out at the wedding when we can't slip them on each other's fingers. However, I mentioned this to a family member who subsequently freaked out and proclaimed that it would unleash all sorts of bad luck on our wedding. Is this real? For the sake of superstition, (to which I am more susceptible than normal since marriages in my family don't tend to last), should we not try on the rings?
    It's old superstition, so of course it's not real. Trying on a ring will not prompt divorce - lack communication, dishonesty, cheating - these things prompt divorce.  

I tried on a number of wedding rings, including the one we eventually bought for me. Then I went home and played with it for a bit before it went into the safe for the next year. Like you said, you need to know if these suckers fit before the wedding day. 

Roll your eyes at this family member and do what you need to do. 
  • I wore my wedding ring for an entire night and day when I got it so that I could make sure it fit. My fingers seem to fluctuate a lot throughout the day and night. Plus, I wanted to wear it because I bought it and I liked it :)

Now it's in the safe until the wedding. There's no bad luck in wearing your ring before the wedding. I've never even heard that superstition before.
  • Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    Yes, if you try on your wedding ring before you are married you will unleash the contents of Pandora's box thus causing the end of the world as we know it.

Seriously, it is superstitious crap.  Try on the ring to make sure it fits.

Edited because words are hard.

• I have never heard of this before and it sounds pretty ridiculous to me. I've tried mine on quite a few times.

• Okay, I'm glad other people agree with me here. Like I said, I've been a bit superstitious about some things while wedding planning in a "just to be safe" way since marriages in my family tend to end badly and I don't want that to happen. But this one felt ridiculous. Nice to hear from others that it definitely is.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• StitelME said:
    Okay, I'm glad other people agree with me here. Like I said, I've been a bit superstitious about some things while wedding planning in a "just to be safe" way since marriages in my family tend to end badly and I don't want that to happen. But this one felt ridiculous. Nice to hear from others that it definitely is.
    Marriages end either badly or cordially not because you went against a superstition during the planning process but because of issues that occurred during the marriage.  So please don't think that following superstitions will equal a long and happy marriage.  What equals a long and happy marriage is love, communication, openness, honesty, trust and the ability to work through shit rather then just give up.

• StitelME said:
    Okay, I'm glad other people agree with me here. Like I said, I've been a bit superstitious about some things while wedding planning in a "just to be safe" way since marriages in my family tend to end badly and I don't want that to happen. But this one felt ridiculous. Nice to hear from others that it definitely is.
    Marriages end either badly or cordially not because you went against a superstition during the planning process but because of issues that occurred during the marriage.  So please don't think that following superstitions will equal a long and happy marriage.  What equals a long and happy marriage is love, communication, openness, honesty, trust and the ability to work through shit rather then just give up.

I definitely don't think that superstitions will dictate the quality of my marriage. I meant it more as a "it couldn't hurt" type belief rather than a "this will guarantee me good things" type of belief. I am generally not a superstitious person - Heck, every few years my birthday is on Friday the 13th. I have superstitious friends who would refuse to get out of bed on those days. But I do realize that marriage takes effort and commitment and that no amount of following superstitions can save a marriage when the couple involved gives up.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Try the ring on. We ordered my ring in the correct size and it turned out the jeweler sent the wrong size. We had to get it resized, which took a few days. I'm glad I tried it on beforehand or I wouldn't have been able to wear it on our honeymoon! 
  • I tried my band on before getting married. It wasn't a set and it's not a plain band either so I wanted to make sure the e-ring and the band went together ok. But here picture this if you don't try them on

scene 1 - rings are too tight & you can't either get them on during your ceremony, of you jam the ring on your finger, which people will notice the struggle of that during your ceremony, and you get the ring on but it's so tight you can't get it back off later & have to cut the ring off.

Scene 2 - ring is too big, ceremony goes fine, but while you're out and about doing photos or dancing the night away, the ring slips off because it's too big and you loose it.

Neither of those two scenerios has a good outcome in my opinion.

• Put on your wedding band.  Walk under a ladder.  Drop a mirror.  Step on a crack.  Walk near a black cat.  Then take off your wedding band.

You'll be fine.
  • I've tried mine on several times, and my wedding is still 8 1/2 months away.  I just like looking at it.  :)

• I tried mine on several times before wedding. I tried it on morning of wedding, just to make sure it still fit, and one of my family members freaked and said it was bad luck... I said, oh well. Guess what... my wedding went perfectly. Having a ring not fit during the ceremony is considered bad luck too. I'd try it on and make sure it fits, just to be safe.

• We bought my wedding band a couple months after he bought my engagement ring. Because he got the service plan with it, I need to get them checked every 6 months. Our wedding is 10 months after our engagement so when it was time to bring my e-ring in for checking, I brought my wedding band in to get them on the same schedule. Long story short...instead of having a box bouncing around in my purse, I just wore the band. When we got home, it went back in its box to wait for the next cleaning.

So far so good. Neither of us have been struck by angry Gods. 
    *msstaticfancypants*
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Definitely try it on! I just tried mine on and it doesn't fit. I have to have it resized. 

The jeweler was a pain about it too. He kept trying to blame me and saying my fingers must be swollen and that's why it wouldn't fit and I should just go home and it would get better. The problem with that theory was I had my engagement ring on and it fit perfectly. *rolls eyes*
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards