Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Shower Invite - etiquette assistance needed!

Hi ladies. I'm the MOH in my brother's upcoming wedding and I have an etiquette question for all of you. My (male) cousin is separated from his wife, though they are not yet divorced. From what I can gather, this is not a friendly separation and it's going to get nasty. Do I invite his soon to be ex-wife and her daughter from a previous relationship to the shower? I'm leaning toward "yes" as to not offend and make a bad situation worse, but I wanted to hear your thoughts. TY!
Wedding Countdown Ticker
158 image 125 image 33 image 0image RSVP Date: May 27

Re: Shower Invite - etiquette assistance needed!

• Options
    I would vote no, but ask your FSIL her opinion.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    I'd vote no as well, but ask your FSIL her preference.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    Will she be invited to the wedding? I'm assuming if it's a nasty divorce and the cousin is family, she wouldn't be.

People who aren't invited to the wedding don't get invited to wedding-related events. Hopefully that solves your problem.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Do you have a relationship with this woman, independent of in-laws? If not, I can't imagine she should be invited.
  • Options
    I wouldn't, but I probably wouldn't even if they weren't getting divorced, unless you were super close. We invited some local female cousins to my sister's shower, but not any of our male cousins' SOs, even though they were invited to the wedding. If you don't have a relationship with her outside of her being married to your cousin, I wouldn't invite her. Showers are for your nearest and dearest, not every female on the guest list (and will she still be on the guest list for the wedding? If not, do not invite her to the shower)!
  • Options

I wouldn't invite them unless your FSIL is close to them.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards