Chit Chat
Options

Wedding Reception Timeline

I'm having some trouble putting together our reception timeline. I've gotten a few suggestions from our venue coordinator but I'd love to get some outside feedback.

Here's what we have now-

5:00pm Ceremony

5:30pm Cocktail Hour

6:25pm Doors to reception open/Guests are seated/champagne or sparkling cider toast is poured

6:35pm Bride/Groom introduced/thank guests for attending/first dance

6:40pm Hora

6:45pm First course (soup) served

6:55pm BM/MOH toasts

7:15pm Main course (entrée) served

8:00pm Bride & Groom cut the wedding cake 

8:05pm parent dances

8:15pm cake is served

10:15pm last call at bar 

10:30pm Bar closes

10:50pm Last song is played

11:00pm Reception ends

Looking at it, I feel like it might be weird to have the parent dances later so maybe we should do those during the soup course? I just want to make sure I get soup too! And I'm not sure where the hora fits best. We could also do that after we cut the cake. I'm sure we'll have some dancing between courses but that could be the signal to get everyone out on the floor? 

I'd appreciate any feedback!

Re: Wedding Reception Timeline

• Options
    I would do the parent dances prior to cutting the cake.  Then cut the cake.  Then do the Hora.  Then open the dance floor to your guests.

I am assuming the toasts will be done during the soup course?  Or will they be done between the soup and main course?  If it is the latter then 20 minutes for toasts is too much time.  Toasts should be short and sweet so maybe 5-8 minutes tops.

You could always move the toasts to be done prior to any food is served.  Since your guests will have just finished cocktail hour it won't be like they are starving, but again make sure that any toasts or speeches given are short and to the point.

• Options
    @maggie0829 To clarify, yes, the toasts would be done during the soup course. I just attended a wedding where we had to listen to 6 speeches (bride, groom, BM, FOG, SFOB and the bride's uncle) while foodless. Defintely don't want to inflict that on our guests.

And I do like the idea of having parent dances before we cut the cake and the hora after. The hora is so upbeat anyway it's great for getting everyone up. And FI is kinda nervous about the mother/son dance so the later we have it, the more alcohol he can have in his system.
  • Options
    Simky906 said:
    @maggie0829 To clarify, yes, the toasts would be done during the soup course. I just attended a wedding where we had to listen to 6 speeches (bride, groom, BM, FOG, SFOB and the bride's uncle) while foodless. Defintely don't want to inflict that on our guests.

And I do like the idea of having parent dances before we cut the cake and the hora after. The hora is so upbeat anyway it's great for getting everyone up. And FI is kinda nervous about the mother/son dance so the later we have it, the more alcohol he can have in his system.
    Oh my, six speeches...eek!  Sorry you had to sit through that.

That is why I was thinking the Hora would be great after the other spotlight dances.  It is upbeat and everyone can get involved so it is great way to really get the party going.

And if your FI is nervous just make sure he and his Mom pick a song that isn't super long.

• Options

5:00pm Ceremony

5:30pm Cocktail Hour

6:25pm Doors to reception open/Guests are seated/champagne or sparkling cider toast is poured - it looks like you'll have the beverages poured 30 minutes before the actual toasts; one of two things will happen - people will drink the champagne / cider, or it will go flat by the time the actual toast happens.

6:35pm Bride/Groom introduced/thank guests for attending/first dance - Are you planning on a receiving line or table visits? 

6:40pm Hora - I thought the Hora was done later in the evening, like during the dancing?

6:45pm First course (soup) served

6:55pm BM/MOH toasts

7:15pm Main course (entrée) served

8:00pm Bride & Groom cut the wedding cake 

8:05pm parent dances

8:15pm cake is served - You could have the waitstaff serve cake during the dances. 

10:15pm last call at bar 

10:30pm Bar closes

10:50pm Last song is played

11:00pm Reception ends

• Options
    Simky906Simky906 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    @sarahbear That's a good point about the beverages. I guess I thinking that they would drink as we thanked our guests for coming but just realized that doesn't make much sense. Think we'll have that done along with the soup being served then!

We're planning on doing table visits so we son't have thanked them personally yet. And we're hosting so I though we should say something there.

I do think we'll move the hora to after the cake cutting and parent dances right before the cake cutting as Maggie suggested. Once the hora is over people can have all the cake they can hold!
  • Options
    @Maggie0829 Yes, 6 speeches! And they were not toasts but actually 5 minutes plus speeches! The bride's uncle was last to go and his dragged on for what had to be almost ten minutes and I was getting hangry at that point.
  • Options
    Since you're greeting your guests via table visits (good call, btw), I don't think you'll have anything to say at the beginning.  I suggest having your first dance right before your parent dances to keep the "flow" together.  That way you can move things up a bit and get the soup to your guests more quickly.
  • Options
    @sarahbear31 Do you think we should move the parent dances up to right after ours then? FI really wants to have our dance as soon as we get to the reception. It's one of the few requests that he's made. And we would have the soup served during the dances so people wouldn't be stuck just watching the dances.
  • Options
    I like that idea, @simky906!  Now that I think about it, I think we did our dances (first dance, father / daughter, mother / son) as soon as we arrived.  And I like the idea of serving soup while you dance. 
  • Options
    @sarahbear31 Thanks for the help; that's what we'll do with the dances. I know FI will like the soup serving as well; even if it doesn't really take attention off of him he'll feel like it will.

And my dad and I are doing a rather energetic first dance so maybe doing that before I've consumed a full dinner is for the best!
  • Options
    Glad to help! 
  • Options
    huskypuppy14huskypuppy14 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2014
    We had a similar time line to yours, but we did our first dance right after we were introduced. Then everyone sat down and we did toasts. Then the stations were opened. DH and I had our salads, and then cut the cake (venue wanted it this way.) Then we went to a couple tables, then had dinner. 

We did the parent dances right after dinner, and then we did the hora later on. I am not Jewish, and we were talking to one of our friend's tables, and I heard the music, and said "isn't this the hora, sorry we have to go." We just had the DJ play it at a good point in the night- which worked out perfect. 

ETA: My husband is Jewish, in case anyone was wondering why we had the hora.

• Options
    Do you have a DJ or a band? We were putting together a timeline for our wedding (later than we should have), but then at our week of vendor meetings, our DJ was like - "yeah, I don't do timelines"

I balked at first (I love timelines)- but what he said, I actually agreed with. He is a professional wedding DJ and he said things never stick to the time the bride dictates. He just asked what we wanted (announcing family) or didn't want (no bouquet/garter toss) and he planned it for us. He gave us a brief overview of what we would do, but then just announced it as it came up.

It was helpful for us to not be worrying about when and where things were happening and for us to just enjoy the night as much as possible. He did a great job and we never once had to worry when things were happening.  
  • Options
    @huskypuppy14 I'm not Jewish either but my FH is, which is why we're doing the hora too. I'm mildly terrified of being lifted up in a chair like that (especially after I went to a wedding where they almost dropped the groom). But we're asking specific people to be our chair holders so hopefully that will help. 

In fact, one current and two former college football players will be in attendance (2 are FI's cousins, 1 is mine) and FI and I are currently having a spirited discussion as to how to divide them. I tried to claim all three with the argument that my dress will be heavy but FI didn't buy it. ;)
  • Options
    @sarahufl That's a good point; we're having a DJ as well. I can certainly be flexible if he doesnt do specific timelines but I like to have a rough idea of what's going on. 

I have a ridiculous fear of being in the bathroom or something when he annouces the hora or the father/daughter dance so as long as we can avoid that, I'm good.
  • Options
    huskypuppy14huskypuppy14 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2014
    Simky906 said:
    @huskypuppy14 I'm not Jewish either but my FH is, which is why we're doing the hora too. I'm mildly terrified of being lifted up in a chair like that (especially after I went to a wedding where they almost dropped the groom). But we're asking specific people to be our chair holders so hopefully that will help. 

In fact, one current and two former college football players will be in attendance (2 are FI's cousins, 1 is mine) and FI and I are currently having a spirited discussion as to how to divide them. I tried to claim all three with the argument that my dress will be heavy but FI didn't buy it. ;)
    Yeah, I felt that I was going to be dropped. The person in the back was pushing the chair up higher than the people in the front. So I was sliding down the front of the chair. It was pretty terrifying! I told my husband that he had most of the Jewish guys and I had all the Catholic men...ha ha. Well my friend was in the front, and his wife said he would have caught me if I fell.... They also said it would be really bad form to drop the bride, and no one would let that happen.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards