Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Can you put an end time on a 2 hour casual wedding cocktail reception?

ktb0808ktb0808 member
edited July 2014 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
Can you put an end time on a 2 hour casual wedding cocktail reception? 

Re: Can you put an end time on a 2 hour casual wedding cocktail reception?

• Options
    edited July 2014
    4-6pm puts you into meal time. If you ended by 5pm, I think you could swing it without anyone side eyeing it. I'd suggest skipping the beer/champagne in the park (or serve it as a welcome drink as people arrive to the ceremony - awesome) and going right to the cocktail reception when you're done with the ceremony

ETA: you could have a reception insert in your invites that has the location name, address and time listed.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I don't understand having a cocktail hour before another cocktail reception. Just have the entire cocktail reception from 2:30-5. If you need time for pictures, just show up an hour in.

We are having a short casual ceremony outside in a park at 2pm in Las Vegas with about 40 people.  Following the ceremony, we will have beer/champagne in the park.  A party bus will then take guests to the reception location where guests will have appetizers and cocktails from 4pm to 6pm.  It is just a cocktail reception.  Nothing traditional.  No band or dj, dancing or cake cutting.  I am having a hard time on time on how to word the wedding invitation reception card.  Do I put an end time to the reception or somehow announce that it is only going to be 2 hours?  What is the best way to let guests know that the reception will end at 6pm?  On the invitation or at the actual reception when it happens?  Thanks

• Options
    JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    You need to end it by 5pm, or else you need to serve dinner (or heavy enough apps to equal dinner).  Skip the beer/champagne in the park and just have it at the reception.

ETA - And depending on the time of year (ie - hot weather!), your guests might not want to hang around outside in a park.  Head inside and get the party started early!
  • Options
    I think it's fine to list a time frame on the invitation that lists a definitive end time. Something along the lines of "Ceremony at 2pm at xx location, cocktail reception to follow immediately until 5pm." I don't see anything worthy of a side-eye in letting people know what time they can expect to be done with your wedding, especially at that time of day, so they can make their own arrangements for dinner afterwards.
  • Options
    Why did you change your original post?  You were quoted.

• Options
    Viczaesar said:
    Why did you change your original post?  You were quoted.
    BOOM, saw that comin'.

• Options
    lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I would put Ceremony blah blah time venue etc then cocktail and appetizer reception to immediately follow from 4-6 or whatever it is. That way I know I'm not getting a full meal and can plan around it.
  • Options
    I don't really see a problem with it ending at 6. I understand if we were in a small Midwestern town 5 pm may mean dinner to some...but come on this is Vegas....no one is eating dinner at 5. Guests will be finished and free to go to dinner after having apps at 6.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards