Wedding Woes

Fight with bridesmaids

My moh who is my sister has insisted I invite her husband's sister and her fiance who I have never even met before. We had already had an issue with other members of his family that I dont like but I gave in to avoid problems, so this was a complete surprise and caught me off guard. I was not happy about it but she said she would pay for them which I wasnt crazy about since it makes me feel like I have no control of who comes to my own wedding. My other sister who's also a bridesmaid completely lost it and screamed and cursed at me for not inviting "family" as well as other hurtful comments and said I should pay for everyone on top of that.
To top the situation, she did not like the bridesmaids dress I picked out and wants all the dresses to be different styles so I gave into that too and "picked" something to their liking. Im at the point where I'm seriously considering canceling my wedding in 4 months and eloping instead. I had no idea planning a wedding would open this can of worms. I gave in and told them both to invite whomever they wanted but I dont feel like this is about me and my fiance anymore. Am I being selfish?

Sad bride

Best Answer

Answers

• lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014

My moh who is my sister has insisted I invite her husband's sister and her fiance who I have never even met before. We had already had an issue with other members of his family that I dont like but I gave in to avoid problems, so this was a complete surprise and caught me off guard. I was not happy about it but she said she would pay for them which I wasnt crazy about since it makes me feel like I have no control of who comes to my own wedding. My other sister who's also a bridesmaid completely lost it and screamed and cursed at me for not inviting "family" as well as other hurtful comments and said I should pay for everyone on top of that. To top the situation, she did not like the bridesmaids dress I picked out and wants all the dresses to be different styles so I gave into that too and "picked" something to their liking. Im at the point where I'm seriously considering canceling my wedding in 4 months and eloping instead. I had no idea planning a wedding would open this can of worms. I gave in and told them both to invite whomever they wanted but I dont feel like this is about me and my fiance anymore. Am I being selfish? Sad bride
    You are being a doormat. People treat you the way you allow them to treat you. Time to stand up for yourself.
  • HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2014
    My moh who is my sister has insisted I invite her husband's sister and her fiance who I have never even met before. We had already had an issue with other members of his family that I dont like but I gave in to avoid problems, so this was a complete surprise and caught me off guard. I was not happy about it but she said she would pay for them which I wasnt crazy about since it makes me feel like I have no control of who comes to my own wedding. My other sister who's also a bridesmaid completely lost it and screamed and cursed at me for not inviting "family" as well as other hurtful comments and said I should pay for everyone on top of that. To top the situation, she did not like the bridesmaids dress I picked out and wants all the dresses to be different styles so I gave into that too and "picked" something to their liking. Im at the point where I'm seriously considering canceling my wedding in 4 months and eloping instead. I had no idea planning a wedding would open this can of worms. I gave in and told them both to invite whomever they wanted but I dont feel like this is about me and my fiance anymore. Am I being selfish? Sad bride
    Giving in to something you don't want to do rarely resolves problems, it just tends to create new ones.  Since that strategy is backfiring on you, I'd stop.
  • Practice saying NO and when you have to use it, mean it. Stick to it. Good luck!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards