Chit Chat

I want to go on vacation!

Coworkers are being annoying today, big suprise. . . . and I want to go on vacation even more now than ever.  Our anniversary is coming up mid-september.  Anyone have a great vacation idea for me?  These are the parameters i'm thinking with:

long weekend, 3-4 days from New York City area

DH and I are foodies/wine lovers

fine with flying/driving/etc.

would like to keep it under $1k if possible

We just did the Fingerlakes last fall, so that is not something I am interested in doing this trip.

We can lay on the beach sunbathing for <1 hour before going stircrazy

Love adventures and trying new things

Re: I want to go on vacation!

• My friend lives in NYC and her and her husband went to Puerto Rico last year. The flight is only about three hours, and she said everything was pretty cheap when they got there. Plus, it was a good mix of city life/beach time.
  • Have you ever been to Cape May, NJ?  Romantic Victorian bed and breakfasts, beaches, antique glass museum in Wheaton Village, an hour's drive away.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    CMGragain said:
    Have you ever been to Cape May, NJ?  Romantic Victorian bed and breakfasts, beaches, antique glass museum in Wheaton Village, an hour's drive away.

I saw your name pop up and immediately assumed a cruise out of NYC, LOL.

I have heard of Cape May but never been. . . . let me do some research.  I love B&Bs, I'm not sure DH has ever stayed in one. 

• Before I scrolled down, I was about to say Fingerlakes - I'm going to a wedding there in September and cannot wait!

What about taking the train to DC and getting in touch with your inner patriot? Or taking a road trip to Niagara Falls?

The connecticut wine trail is on our list of vacations sooner than later: http://www.ctwine.com/
    *********************************************************************************

• You can do a wine-tasting tour on the North Fork! When I did it with a bunch of friends we rented a house and then biked to various wineries, although of course it's drivable, too. The wines vary in quality (just a warning) but it's really fun just to go to a lot of pretty wineries with differing vibes. I loved the Croteaux winery the best--they specialize in French-style roses, and they were delicious and prettily labeled.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • kaos16kaos16 member
    You can do a wine-tasting tour on the North Fork! When I did it with a bunch of friends we rented a house and then biked to various wineries, although of course it's drivable, too. The wines vary in quality (just a warning) but it's really fun just to go to a lot of pretty wineries with differing vibes. I loved the Croteaux winery the best--they specialize in French-style roses, and they were delicious and prettily labeled.

hahahahahha.  I actually live in the middle of this wine tasting area and work at one of the wineries as my second job (for the discount and free tastings)
  • Newport, RI 
    Lake George 
    White water rafting in West Virginia 
    Poconos 
    Brandywine Valley - wine tasting 
  • Before I scrolled down, I was about to say Fingerlakes - I'm going to a wedding there in September and cannot wait!

What about taking the train to DC and getting in touch with your inner patriot? Or taking a road trip to Niagara Falls?

The connecticut wine trail is on our list of vacations sooner than later: http://www.ctwine.com/

Where in the Finger Lakes is the wedding? I live in the area and I'm always excited when people say they are coming up here.
  • kaos16kaos16 member
    Newport, RI 
    Lake George 
    White water rafting in West Virginia 
    Poconos 
    Brandywine Valley - wine tasting 

We went to one of those super cheesy couples resorts in the Poconos like 2 years ago and had a TON of fun.  I was shocked and how entertaining it was.
  • kaos16 said:
    You can do a wine-tasting tour on the North Fork! When I did it with a bunch of friends we rented a house and then biked to various wineries, although of course it's drivable, too. The wines vary in quality (just a warning) but it's really fun just to go to a lot of pretty wineries with differing vibes. I loved the Croteaux winery the best--they specialize in French-style roses, and they were delicious and prettily labeled.

hahahahahha.  I actually live in the middle of this wine tasting area and work at one of the wineries as my second job (for the discount and free tastings)
    NO WAY!

That is amazing and hilarious. Okay, DON'T do that for your vacay, then. :)

If you recall a rowdy group of drunk people on bikes on Memorial Day of 2013, that was my crowd! Hello/sorry!
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  •  I also reccomend Cape May I'm from NJ, very cute quaint little town.  There is lots to do and lots of B&B I'm trying to convince H to do a few days down there early this fall.

Anniversary

• Where in the Finger Lakes is the wedding? I live in the area and I'm always excited when people say they are coming up here.
    It's at the Fontainebleau Inn on Seneca Lake. Have you heard of it? I'm really looking forward to it! The place looks gorgeous!
    *********************************************************************************

• @southernbelle0915 I have heard of it! Seneca Lake is absolutely gorgeous as well. And if you have time, you should do some wine tasting - there are so many around Seneca Lake!
  • @cupcait927 - I'd love to! DH wants to take a few days off and get there early so we have time to explore. If you have any recommendations on specific wineries, send me a PM! We'd love to get the insider scoop!

• @southernbelle0915 I'll pm you when I get home from work tonight! FI and I LOVE to go wine tasting and betweent the two of us have been to almost every single winery between Keuka, Seneca and Cayuga lakes. We know the good ones at this point!
  • How about Ocean City, MD? I was also going to suggest the Poconos.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Berkshires in western MA has SOOO many hiking trails which would be amazing in September. This place Ramblewild is all over my facebook lately- it's a 900 acre park with those tree trails where you're up on harnesses. Looks totally badass!!

• kaos16kaos16 member
    @cupcait927 - I'd love to! DH wants to take a few days off and get there early so we have time to explore. If you have any recommendations on specific wineries, send me a PM! We'd love to get the insider scoop!

Shaw was my favorite winery up there.  A lot of Finger Lake wines were way, way to sweet for my liking, but Shaw was a tiny place with some really great reds.  I would go back there in a heartbeat.  We brought a ton of their stuff home with us.
  • kaos16 said:
    @cupcait927 - I'd love to! DH wants to take a few days off and get there early so we have time to explore. If you have any recommendations on specific wineries, send me a PM! We'd love to get the insider scoop!

Shaw was my favorite winery up there.  A lot of Finger Lake wines were way, way to sweet for my liking, but Shaw was a tiny place with some really great reds.  I would go back there in a heartbeat.  We brought a ton of their stuff home with us.
    Shaw is fantastic. There are a few wineries between the three major lakes that specialize in dry red, but a lot lean more towards the sweet side due to our microclimates (that and sweet wine is far more preferably to far more people and this area thrives on tourism). I want to go out to California some day to go wine tasting and drink ALL of the driest red wine I can find.
  • kaos16kaos16 member
    @jenna8984, Ramblewild looks awesome. . . . I just googled them.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    pinkcow13 said:
    How about Ocean City, MD? I was also going to suggest the Poconos.
    Ewwwwwww!  Ocean City is for college kids and families.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • edited July 2014
    CMGragain said:
    Have you ever been to Cape May, NJ?  Romantic Victorian bed and breakfasts, beaches, antique glass museum in Wheaton Village, an hour's drive away.

I agree with Cape May, NJ.  That was my family's go-to vacation spot growing up and I love that place. We always stayed at this run down hotel that was near the pedestrian mall because it was cheap.  It wasn't classy, but it was a good location and I have great memories of that place.  I don't know if that hotel is even still there, it's been about 5 years since we last went there.  

I really want to take my husband there now.  My siblings and I have actually talked about getting everyone together for another family vacation in Cape May, maybe have everyone chip in on renting a large beach house or something.  But, there are some gorgeous hotels there.  And you can't go wrong with sitting on a large front porch, with a bottle of good wine, watching the ocean waves, and feeling the breeze.  And if you want to do a day trip, Atlantic City or Wildwood boardwalks aren't too far.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards