Chit Chat
Options

Down Syndrome Petition

http://www.parents.com/blogs/to-the-max/2014/07/29/to-the-max/the-bill-that-could-better-our-childrens-lives/?socsrc=pmmfb1407302

Saw this on my Facebook news feed. This woman sounds like she kicks ass. Look at what she's done and aspiring to do despite her diagnosis.

image   image   image

Re: Down Syndrome Petition

• Options
    This is fantastic! She seems really cool.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options

I don't understand how laws like these even exist - this shouldn't even be an issue.  The fact that this petition is needed makes me sad.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    AprilH81AprilH81 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2014
    This is going to sound horrible and I don't mean it that way I promise.

But if she is able to work a full time job, why would she need Medicaid (assuming the job provided benefits)? She should be able to get a "regular" insurance plan through her employer or possibly afford one on her own.

People who are higher functioning (is there a more PC term? I don't want to offend) shouldn't be limited to Medicaid and then forced to only work a few hours a week in order to keep Medicaid. That is pretty stupid.

Let them work and save and then get off Medicaid if they can afford it.

Medicaid isn't that great of a plan anyway, a lot of doctors don't take it or limit the amount of Medicaid patients that are being seen. I would think that they would want off of it if at all possible.

ETA: Fix paragraphs...
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    AprilH81 said:

But if she is able to work a full time job, why would she need Medicaid (assuming the job provided benefits)? She should be able to get a "regular" insurance plan through her employer or possibly afford one on her own.

People who are higher functioning (is there a more PC term? I don't want to offend) shouldn't be limited to Medicaid and then forced to only work a few hours a week in order to keep Medicaid. That is pretty stupid.

Medicaid isn't that great of a plan anyway, a lot of doctors don't take it or limit the amount of Medicaid patients that are being seen. I would think that they would want off of it if at all possible.

ETA: Fix paragraphs…
    Medicaid sucks but there are no co-pays.  That's one benefit to it. The other thing is that while someone with Down's may be able to work 40 hours a week they may not be able to find a job that will hire them full time. It's most likely going to be a minimum wage job where employees are kept to below 40 hours so that they do not have to be provided with benefits.  Right now the law limits them to earning $700 a month and having $2000 to their name.  There is a huge distance between $700 and the amount you need to earn to live off of and be able to purchase your own insurance.  Also, the fact that they can only have $2000 means they are forced to spend their money to retain benefits.  They can't have an emergency fund built up in case of unemployment or unforeseen circumstances.  I know someone (not Down's but disabled) who constantly had to buy a "new" vehicle because once she paid it off her assets would be greater than $2000 and she would lose her benefits but she was unable to work.   
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mysticl said:
    AprilH81 said:

ETA: Fix paragraphs…
    Medicaid sucks but there are no co-pays.  That's one benefit to it. The other thing is that while someone with Down's may be able to work 40 hours a week they may not be able to find a job that will hire them full time. It's most likely going to be a minimum wage job where employees are kept to below 40 hours so that they do not have to be provided with benefits.  Right now the law limits them to earning $700 a month and having $2000 to their name.  There is a huge distance between $700 and the amount you need to earn to live off of and be able to purchase your own insurance.  Also, the fact that they can only have $2000 means they are forced to spend their money to retain benefits.  They can't have an emergency fund built up in case of unemployment or unforeseen circumstances.  I know someone (not Down's but disabled) who constantly had to buy a "new" vehicle because once she paid it off her assets would be greater than $2000 and she would lose her benefits but she was unable to work.   
    That makes a little more sense...

photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards