Chit Chat

What's with these "Knotties" accounts?

I haven't been active in a few months, but now vendors and newer users have Knottie321651 account names. Are these real people? 

I remember when they were spamming that one board (can't remember which), and they all had that Knottie###### user names, but I see those user names also asking questions and posting on boards as users. What's going on? 
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
Funny Awkward animated GIF

Re: What's with these "Knotties" accounts?

• MadHops21 said:
    I haven't been active in a few months, but now vendors and newer users have Knottie321651 account names. Are these real people? 

I remember when they were spamming that one board (can't remember which), and they all had that Knottie###### user names, but I see those user names also asking questions and posting on boards as users. What's going on? 

STUCK
    Yeah, they're real. TK now randomly assigns every new user a Knottie### account instead of making them pick a unique username. It's obnoxious as hell. 

Welcome back!
  • PDKH said:

MadHops21 said:

STUCK
    Yeah, they're real. TK now randomly assigns every new user a Knottie### account instead of making them pick a unique username. It's obnoxious as hell. 

Welcome back!

You're kidding! How do we tell these people apart then??

image   image   image

• I hate it.  There are just enough of them that are spammers that I assume all of them are and I don't take anyone who posts with those name seriously

• I hate it.  There are just enough of them that are spammers that I assume all of them are and I don't take anyone who posts with those name seriously
    Same. I don't know if it was their plan to keep people from signing up with their real full name or what, but it's stupid annoying. 

A lot of people have been asking them to make a unique name when replying to their posts - which sort of helps. Because otherwise, yeah, it's impossible to keep track of the numbers and who's who.
  • The reason they did this was because too often users were putting their full names or email addresses as their UN-I think the default used to actually be your email address. So this way at least people are automatically anonymous.

My husband is a U/X designer-he's constantly working on the issue of how to convey to people that they are creating a display name that everyone will see. You would think it's pretty straight forward, but people don't read thoroughly and some people, quite frankly, are just dumb. 
  • daria24 said:
    The reason they did this was because too often users were putting their full names or email addresses as their UN-I think the default used to actually be your email address. So this way at least people are automatically anonymous.

My husband is a U/X designer-he's constantly working on the issue of how to convey to people that they are creating a display name that everyone will see. You would think it's pretty straight forward, but people don't read thoroughly and some people, quite frankly, are just dumb. 

All they need is a blank box requesting user display name and a blurb saying this is the name that will be displayed.  If anyone is stupid enough to use their full name or email address, that's on them.

The whole KnottieNumber naming convention is ridiculous.

• JoanE2012 said:
    daria24 said:
    The reason they did this was because too often users were putting their full names or email addresses as their UN-I think the default used to actually be your email address. So this way at least people are automatically anonymous.

All they need is a blank box requesting user display name and a blurb saying this is the name that will be displayed.  If anyone is stupid enough to use their full name or email address, that's on them.

And this hasn't helped all that much, because users are going from Knottie### to JaneSmith anyway. How was this a simpler fix than saying next to the sign up box. "Your username will be displayed in the forums. For privacy reasons, The Knot does not recommend that its users use their email, full names, or other unique identifiers as their usernames." 
  • JoanE2012 said:
    daria24 said:

I do think that they have language to that effect, but they still need some sort of "default". Why? Because. You know how TK works. 
  • If they choose to keep their Knottienumbers names and not change them, I don't bother to try to tell them apart or get to know them. It tells me they are not interested in really being part of the community.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • PDKH said:
    And this hasn't helped all that much, because users are going from Knottie### to JaneSmith anyway. How was this a simpler fix than saying next to the sign up box. "Your username will be displayed in the forums. For privacy reasons, The Knot does not recommend that its users use their email, full names, or other unique identifiers as their usernames." 

TK would hire you, but you'd make everyone else look bad

• PDKH said:

TK would hire you, but you'd make everyone else look bad

And I've been too mean to KP lately - they don't even want me modding lol.
  • That's pretty stupid. I think all Knotties are spam and don't bother to read their posts, so I'm ignoring potentially good members. This place just keeps going downhill...

I'm assuming we STILL don't have mods? Because, you know, that'd just make sense?
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    Funny Awkward animated GIF
  • SBminiSBmini member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    It would have been way easier to just put in bold a notice saying DON"T USE YOUR REAL NAME OR EMAIL ADDRESS and banning certain characters like spaces or @ or . than to remove people's ability to make their own names. @Madhops21 I just got my email about modding, so the mods will be coming online real soon.
  • SBmini said:
    It would have been way easier to just put in bold a notice saying DON"T USE YOUR REAL NAME OR EMAIL ADDRESS and banning certain characters like spaces or @ or . than to remove people's ability to make their own names. @Madhops21 I just got my email about modding, so the mods will be coming online real soon.
    I'll believe it when I see it.
  • I personally just kept it since it had said that my older posts would no longer be associated to my account.

After reading this thread though, I had to change it.
    I don't want people to think I'm a troll.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jynxiie said:
    I personally just kept it since it had said that my older posts would no longer be associated to my account.

That is utterly ridiculous! I'm not a computer expert, but I'm pretty sure they should be able to change your account name without basically re-starting you as a new member. Lame!
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • jynxiie said:
    I personally just kept it since it had said that my older posts would no longer be associated to my account.

Come again? 

Nope, when you change your username all your past posts get changed retroactively too. Your account still says you have 40 replies. Weird that it tells you that.

Thanks for changing it!

• I agree with the long Knottie#### being a pain in the butt. You don't know anymore who is who. I quite dislike it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah I was confused how I still have them - not that I am complaining haha.
    I'd much rather have my own username, I was just worried I would stop getting notifications for past threads once I changed it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you for changing it, and welcome to TK, Jynxiie!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards