Wedding Etiquette Forum

Barn wedding...without the barn look, help!

We finally found a venue, a farm with gorgeous grounds, lots of space, no silly rules and alcohol friendly, the only problem is our wedding style is not rustic in the least and there is a rather large barn in the middle of the grounds. We are having an outdoor ceremony/reception, and the style is more on the chic, modern yet glam end of the spectrum. Colors are Black, Blush (w/ various shades of white/peach/pinks) and accents of gold. Think blush/white peonies/garden roses intertwined with succulents in a floral garland atop long black table linens, modern black china and glassware with lots of candlelight. Although we are trying to figure out a way around the use of the barn we may not get around it. Therefore, I am in need of some ideas on how to modernize it. I am at a road block in my wedding planning creativity. I don't want the barn to feel like it's not apart of the same wedding as the rest of the space, but I have no idea how to take a barn from rustic and woodsy to chic and modern....we are thinking of using it as the dance space by the way :) Please help me, I'm stuck! 

(These are photos of our venue, and while the barn looks beautiful here I am hoping to come up with something a little more unique...with your help!)

Answers

• We finally found a venue, a farm with gorgeous grounds, lots of space, no silly rules and alcohol friendly, the only problem is our wedding style is not rustic in the least and there is a rather large barn in the middle of the grounds. We are having an outdoor ceremony/reception, and the style is more on the chic, modern yet glam end of the spectrum. Colors are Black, Blush (w/ various shades of white/peach/pinks) and accents of gold. Think blush/white peonies/garden roses intertwined with succulents in a floral garland atop long black table linens, modern black china and glassware with lots of candlelight. Although we are trying to figure out a way around the use of the barn we may not get around it. Therefore, I am in need of some ideas on how to modernize it. I am at a road block in my wedding planning creativity. I don't want the barn to feel like it's not apart of the same wedding as the rest of the space, but I have no idea how to take a barn from rustic and woodsy to chic and modern....we are thinking of using it as the dance space by the way :) Please help me, I'm stuck! 

(These are photos of our venue, and while the barn looks beautiful here I am hoping to come up with something a little more unique...with your help!)

A couple things I need to know... 

1) What is the regular temp/weather when you're getting married in your area? 
    2) Will you be having a tent? 

I guess I'm not super visual, but I don't know why you would book a space that has a barn if you don't want a barn wedding. 
  • AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2014
    Yeah, it seems to me a big ol' barn on the property would nix that venue on my list if I wasn't interested in a rustic or barn wedding.

That being said, is it visible where your wedding is? Our venue had rustic areas including live longhorn cattle on the property, but that stuff was not visible for the locations we chose for our ceremony and reception. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • We finally found a venue, a farm with gorgeous grounds, lots of space, no silly rules and alcohol friendly, the only problem is our wedding style is not rustic in the least and there is a rather large barn in the middle of the grounds. We are having an outdoor ceremony/reception, and the style is more on the chic, modern yet glam end of the spectrum. Colors are Black, Blush (w/ various shades of white/peach/pinks) and accents of gold. Think blush/white peonies/garden roses intertwined with succulents in a floral garland atop long black table linens, modern black china and glassware with lots of candlelight. Although we are trying to figure out a way around the use of the barn we may not get around it. Therefore, I am in need of some ideas on how to modernize it. I am at a road block in my wedding planning creativity. I don't want the barn to feel like it's not apart of the same wedding as the rest of the space, but I have no idea how to take a barn from rustic and woodsy to chic and modern....we are thinking of using it as the dance space by the way :) Please help me, I'm stuck! 

Well it is now... That sounds snarkier than I mean but you are having a barn/farm wedding, there is really no way to do modern decor with it. I think the pictures you posted are great inspiration photos- go for more of a woodsy vintage vibe than a burlap/mason jar vibe.

• Totally agree with @Fran1985. Our wedding is in a barn but we don't want to do the whole rustic burlap and mason jars thing. I love mixing things that totally juxtapose each other. I think it makes things far more unique and interesting. Our decor is modern and simple; mostly white with varying shades of pale pink and pops of metallic gold. You can have a barn without going all-out BARN. Drape fabric and/or white lights at the entrance, and stick with your color scheme and style to upgrade the barn without trying to make it something its not.
  • I love the white drapery in that photo you attached! That and the chandelier make the barn look really chic, in my opinion. Just banish burlap, daisies, hay, and cowboy boots and I think it wouldn't even cross someone's mind to think, "weird barn."
  • jenijoykjenijoyk member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2014

Also, there's a barn venue I briefly considered called Strawberry Farms, in Irvine, CA. If you google image search that venue, you can find a lot of pictures of pretty, chic, non-rustic weddings held in that barn. Might give you some inspo.

Also, they have a gallery on their website: http://www.sf-golf.com/events/weddings/ but I've seen better images on random wedding blogs.

• My reception was in a barn, but not country at all. Drapery, lighting an table decor made it feel pretty chic. I received many compliments on our decor,even from the owners of the venue. They took photos of the decor to show people how it can be dressed up.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards