Favors
Options

Vintage plates and cookies favor?

I want to make my wedding special by adding lots of DIY touches.  So as a unique favor idea, I was thinking of possibly collecting vintage snack sized plates and having my family and I all bake cookies a month before the wedding and freeze them until the big day. I wanted to have a table where guests pick out their own vintage plate (where each one will have "Rachael & John" and the date we're getting married on the back) and then they help themselves to cookies and put them on their plate, put it in a sheer drawstring pouch so it is portable for the road.

My only concerns: 
- we'll already have cake, a dessert table, and lots of food before that, so I'm worried everyone will be full before. 
- I also don't want to go through all the effort of collecting/washing plates, baking cookies, etc. if people think it's a bad idea/most people won't stop at the table to pick something up. 
- And also worried the drawstring bags may not fit all of the plates with the cookies in them (I saw they had 6x9 inch bags). 

I'm open for any thoughts or suggestions!

:)

Re: Vintage plates and cookies favor?

• Options
    I want to make my wedding special by adding lots of DIY touches.  So as a unique favor idea, I was thinking of possibly collecting vintage snack sized plates and having my family and I all bake cookies a month before the wedding and freeze them until the big day. I wanted to have a table where guests pick out their own vintage plate (where each one will have "Rachael & John" and the date we're getting married on the back) and then they help themselves to cookies and put them on their plate, put it in a sheer drawstring pouch so it is portable for the road.

My only concerns: 
    - we'll already have cake, a dessert table, and lots of food before that, so I'm worried everyone will be full before. 
    - I also don't want to go through all the effort of collecting/washing plates, baking cookies, etc. if people think it's a bad idea/most people won't stop at the table to pick something up. 
    - And also worried the drawstring bags may not fit all of the plates with the cookies in them (I saw they had 6x9 inch bags). 

I'm open for any thoughts or suggestions!

:)
    The bolded reasons would be enough for me as a bride to take a pass on this idea. 

Also, as a guest, I really just want cookies, not a random snack plate. Think about it - what on earth am I supposed to do with one small plate that doesn't match any of the china in my cabinets? Also, I think your current set up idea wouldn't make it clear that people are supposed to take home the plates (I would "accidentally" leave it behind, personally). 

You can't fail with edible in a cute, disposable wrapping though. Don't stress yourself overmuch about favors. 
  • Options
    Cookies good (though some people get squicked out about eating homemade stuff).  Plates meh.

I personally might find some utility in the plate, in that I do keep a tote in my car with some water, a set of silverware, a plate, and a cup for when I'm traveling to see family and we decide to stop for something to eat and might decide to share something.  So, I could use the plate there.  But, I also already have a plate there.  Otherwise, just random plate that's probably not going to stack well with the rest of my dishes (I have square plates) and just annoy me trying to work around it until I toss it in the Goodwill box?  Pass.
  • Options
    Cookies = yes

One random vintage plate = no

• Options
    Cookie bars/tables make a great favor but in your case it sounds like more trouble than it is worth.  I don't see people really wanting a random plate either and it might not be the best way to transport cookies home.

If you are having that much food you may want to consider providing boxes so there is the option to take a slice of cake home. 
  • Options
    Skip the plates. No one wants one random plate that's not part of a matching set.

The cookies would be really good, though. I would eat cookies for sure.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    It sounds almost like you want to do a Pittsburgh style cookie table only not as big.  Trust me they are a huge hit and as a guest you expect to take cookies home with you.  To that end the hosts provide bags or boxes for transport.  

As for the plates, skip it.  You can fit more cookies in the bag without the plate and like others have said most people don't want one random plate in their cabinet.  Unless they happen to collect plates, but I doubt you will have a ton of guests that do that.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    DD had a cookie ar at her wedding in June as a favor along with a lot of food and a killer dessert buffet. Everyone loved it! Agree I would have no desire for a random vintage plate because I don't do vintage, but I am ALWAYS happy to see cookies.
  • Options
    I did a cookie bar and it was well received. I made cake plates for the cookies to sit on, which added a nice day touch. I would skip the individual plates.

Anniversary
  • Options
    LOVE cookies!  No use for one vintage plate, especially if it's personalized with your names.  
  • Options
    I love the idea. I like vintage type of things , so I'd probably use the plate as well.
  • Options
    Great idea. It my not be everyones taste but I have found you can't please everyone! x 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards