Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Gift question

I got a gift in the mail yesterday and I'm a little confused as to how to approach the thank you card for this one.

The note read something along the lines of "Dear Simky and FI, We want to wish you both the best and can't wait to see you at the wedding. Have a great bridal shower and bachelor party." Love, Aunty and Granny

It was very sweet of them to send something, but my confusion stems from the fact that I have not and am not having a bridal shower. (I was offered a shower in my hometown but had to decline due to scheduling/travel issues.) I had my bachelorette over the weekend, is it possible that's what they're refering to? Do I clear things up in the note since there is no shower? 

Also, Aunty is married and has two kids, but I should just address the thank you note to aunty in this scenario, right? And Granny would get a separate card sent to her own house?

Re: Gift question

• Options

I ditto PP. Don't address the events in the thank you card. I would just send a thank you note to the people that sent the gift. Thank them for the present and tell them what you will do with it.

Ex:

Dear Aunt Susan,

Thank you so much for your thoughtfulness in sending FI and I the blender! I see many mornings of smoothies coming out of it! We can't wait to see you at the wedding.

Love, Simky906

I would then send a similar card to grandma.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    missax said:
    I wouldn't even address the shower/bachelorette thing in the thank you note. I would send Aunty & Granny separate TY notes but i'm not sure how I would address Aunty since she's married. I find it quite odd that she wouldn't put her husbands name on there. Maybe someone else will have some insight on that.
    They sent it mentioning a bridal shower and bachelorette party.  So they apparently viewed it as that type of gift.  It is not uncommon for women to give gifts at those events without referencing their children or male partners.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I ditto PP. Don't address the events in the thank you card. I would just send a thank you note to the people that sent the gift. Thank them for the present and tell them what you will do with it.

Ex:

Dear Aunt Susan,

Thank you so much for your thoughtfulness in sending FI and I the blender! I see many mornings of smoothies coming out of it! We can't wait to see you at the wedding.

Love, Simky906

I would then send a similar card to grandma.

The above wording is great but I have to be an annoying copy editor for a sec (I'm sorry; it's like a condition):

Thank you so much for your thoughtfulness in sending FI and me the blender!

Or just change "FI and me" to "us."

Okay, editor pants coming off, Knottie hotpants of approval coming on: I think you got this! 2 cards, no mention of what nonexistent party they were for, voila!
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    Agreed with above pp. Also, you only thank the people that have their names listed on the card. As @mystsicl said, shower gifts are typically given from the women invited, not the entire family.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    My shower gifts were about half and half from just the female of the couple versus both members. I addressed the thank you to whomever signed the card.

Sounds like you've got this under control!

• Options
    My shower gifts were about half and half from just the female of the couple versus both members. I addressed the thank you to whomever signed the card.

Sounds like you've got this under control!
    Same.

I also have never put my husband (then BF) on a shower gift and certainly not a bachelorette gift for anyone. Maybe I'll change my mind now that he's my husband, but if it's my friend first, I'll probably just send it from me. Maybe if it were my husband's cousin, I would feel differently, but they invited me, not him, and that's who the gift should be from IMHO.

Though this is besides the point, because there was no shower in the OP's case. Maybe they thought you had a shower, and they were not invited. Maybe there is a surprise shower coming up?

I also come from a circle where people usually give a separate wedding gift from the couple in addition to the shower gift. If the shower gift was the only gift given for the wedding, I could see putting the husband's name on the card. 

• Options
    It sounds like it was just meant to be a "pre-wedding" gift, so as PPs suggested just write them each a note and since it was signed Aunty and Granny address the thank you to them individually.  People who signed their husband/partner name on the card at my shower I included them in the thank you, but if they just signed their name, I wrote the thank you to them.  When I go to showers I typically sign my name since I was the one invited, not H (unless of course it is a co-ed shower and H is invited too).

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards